Splicing in Experimental Sections

GoldenGloves

Splicing in Experimental Sections

Postby GoldenGloves » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Just wondering what you guys do to add in experimental sections for filling out exams. LSAT Blog recommends using sections from a single PT as experimentals for the next 3 PTs one takes. Any thoughts on this?

jtemp320

Re: Splicing in Experimental Sections

Postby jtemp320 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:34 pm

GoldenGloves wrote:Just wondering what you guys do to add in experimental sections for filling out exams. LSAT Blog recommends using sections from a single PT as experimentals for the next 3 PTs one takes. Any thoughts on this?

If you are using 4 section preptests (ie just from cambridge or "actual lsats" book) I'd add an experimental to make it feel real...most prep companies do that for their pts

hijodehombre

Postby hijodehombre » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:56 pm

I've been taking sections from 39, 40, 41 and 42 to use as my experimental section just because I didn't want to burn a more recent PrepTest. I wish I would've known earlier about the Cambridge PrepTests that already come with experimental sections.

GoldenGloves

Postby GoldenGloves » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:36 pm

jtemp320 wrote:
GoldenGloves wrote:Just wondering what you guys do to add in experimental sections for filling out exams. LSAT Blog recommends using sections from a single PT as experimentals for the next 3 PTs one takes. Any thoughts on this?

If you are using 4 section preptests (ie just from cambridge or "actual lsats" book) I'd add an experimental to make it feel real...most prep companies do that for their pts

I realize this. I'm curious, however, of the methods everyone uses to account for the additional section. How do you just randomly choose sections? & which PTs do you use?

Hijodehombre, that's a good idea.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:28 pm

GoldenGloves wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:

I realize this. I'm curious, however, of the methods everyone uses to account for the additional section. How do you just randomly choose sections? & which PTs do you use?

Hijodehombre, that's a good idea.

Here's the logic behind using experimentals:

1.) Better simulates test day
2.) You'll still do as many problems as you would otherwise. It's the same amount of practice.
3.) A follow-up on reason one, learning to stay focused after the 15 minute break is crucial.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:32 pm

I'd use "earlier" tests to put inside just because they're less valuable and better to ruin. I personally didn't use the experimental, but eliminated the break, during practice.

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:41 pm

I've found it helpful to make the experimental section simply the first section of the next practice test I am taking. That way there's no way for a mental letdown there could be when you know a section "doesnt count", or if its one you've done before. It counts towards my next score so it gets my full attention, and you don't know what you're getting ahead of time.

amkid100

Postby amkid100 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:24 am

acrossthelake wrote:I'd use "earlier" tests to put inside just because they're less valuable and better to ruin. I personally didn't use the experimental, but eliminated the break, during practice.

similar to my approach -- i don't use experimentals bc in reality you just need to be able to do 3 sections in a row (the break revitalizes me fully, i find) i do 3 sections, take a minute break and then go for the 4th.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”