LSAT Practice Tests Bad Score

jets098
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:26 pm

LSAT Practice Tests Bad Score

Postby jets098 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:34 pm

So, I have been studying since June and have seen my scores come up from around 150 to a consistent 160-162 in practice tests. I have taken about 5 that have landed in that range over the last two and a half weeks. I sat down to take one today and actually felt fairly confident that I did well as I finished before scoring it and ending up with a 156. I know outliers are going to happen but I really thought I did well when I stopped the test. It turned out I missed a whole logic game that I thought I had aced and preformed poorly (under a raw score of 20) on both reasoning sections which is rare for me. The test I just took was prep test 49 and the previous ones were the three in super prep, 42 and 43 (?). I'm assuming this happens to everyone but I was getting pretty excited at the amount I was improving and I thought I could potentially get in the high 160's so this is just a shot at my confidence. This happen to any of you as your preparing?

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: LSAT Practice Tests Bad Score

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:40 pm

jets526 wrote:So, I have been studying since June and have seen my scores come up from around 150 to a consistent 160-162 in practice tests. I have taken about 5 that have landed in that range over the last two and a half weeks. I sat down to take one today and actually felt fairly confident that I did well as I finished before scoring it and ending up with a 156. I know outliers are going to happen but I really thought I did well when I stopped the test. It turned out I missed a whole logic game that I thought I had aced and preformed poorly (under a raw score of 20) on both reasoning sections which is rare for me. The test I just took was prep test 49 and the previous ones were the three in super prep, 42 and 43 (?). I'm assuming this happens to everyone but I was getting pretty excited at the amount I was improving and I thought I could potentially get in the high 160's so this is just a shot at my confidence. This happen to any of you as your preparing?


This happens to everyone. The important thing is to avoid dwelling on it, while learning from your mistakes. Realize that you just messed up a little, and move on.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: LSAT Practice Tests Bad Score

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:44 pm

If you are taking a huge volume of tests you are going to burn out and this is the result.

Just let it be. Its not game day. Practice test are for you to mess up on because they do not really count.

jets098
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: LSAT Practice Tests Bad Score

Postby jets098 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:52 pm

Took a look at the one game really quick because I was that confused and needed some reassurance before I reviewed the test tomorrow and realized I flipped variables in a sequence when setting up the game. Makes me feel a little better about the test figuring if I did well on that one like I thought I should at least its a 159 or so.

User avatar
sberg1
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: LSAT Practice Tests Bad Score

Postby sberg1 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:06 pm

I hate to be the 'bringer of bad news' but if the only practice tests you took were from "Super Prep" than most likely your score is higher than it will be on 'more recent' tests. I say this from experience. I took the Official LSAT Superprep and score quite well too, then, upon taking a Princeton Review LSAT course, and receiving a much lower score, the instructor informed me that the Superprep tests are from the 90s, which are exponentially easier than the the LSAT tests that have been released since the 2000s up till now. The more recent tests apparently contain much harder questions and individual's are much more time-constrained upon taking them. I know, I freaked out too, however, the new tests can be learned and mastered too, just much harder.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: LSAT Practice Tests Bad Score

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:09 pm

sberg1 wrote:I hate to be the 'bringer of bad news' but if the only practice tests you took were from "Super Prep" than most likely your score is higher than it will be on 'more recent' tests. I say this from experience. I took the Official LSAT Superprep and score quite well too, then, upon taking a Princeton Review LSAT course, and receiving a much lower score, the instructor informed me that the Superprep tests are from the 90s, which are exponentially easier than the the LSAT tests that have been released since the 2000s up till now. The more recent tests apparently contain much harder questions and individual's are much more time-constrained upon taking them. I know, I freaked out too, however, the new tests can be learned and mastered too, just much harder.


This is not completely true. The questions are just a little different, not much harder some of the test are much much easier than the earlier tests. Like no mapping games.. Shorter LG..etc.

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: LSAT Practice Tests Bad Score

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:10 pm

sberg1 wrote:I hate to be the 'bringer of bad news' but if the only practice tests you took were from "Super Prep" than most likely your score is higher than it will be on 'more recent' tests. I say this from experience. I took the Official LSAT Superprep and score quite well too, then, upon taking a Princeton Review LSAT course, and receiving a much lower score, the instructor informed me that the Superprep tests are from the 90s, which are exponentially easier than the the LSAT tests that have been released since the 2000s up till now. The more recent tests apparently contain much harder questions and individual's are much more time-constrained upon taking them. I know, I freaked out too, however, the new tests can be learned and mastered too, just much harder.


I disagree that this is universally true. Tests all vary greatly in difficulty, and do so on an individual level. What is easy for some is difficult for others, and vice-versa. I do agree that everyone should take every previously administered LSAT available to them, even old or supposedly easy ones.

valoo2007
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: LSAT Practice Tests Bad Score

Postby valoo2007 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:10 pm

sberg1 wrote:I hate to be the 'bringer of bad news' but if the only practice tests you took were from "Super Prep" than most likely your score is higher than it will be on 'more recent' tests. I say this from experience. I took the Official LSAT Superprep and score quite well too, then, upon taking a Princeton Review LSAT course, and receiving a much lower score, the instructor informed me that the Superprep tests are from the 90s, which are exponentially easier than the the LSAT tests that have been released since the 2000s up till now. The more recent tests apparently contain much harder questions and individual's are much more time-constrained upon taking them. I know, I freaked out too, however, the new tests can be learned and mastered too, just much harder.



Makes an invalid appeal to expert authority.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: LSAT Practice Tests Bad Score

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:21 pm

sberg1 wrote:I hate to be the 'bringer of bad news' but if the only practice tests you took were from "Super Prep" than most likely your score is higher than it will be on 'more recent' tests. I say this from experience. I took the Official LSAT Superprep and score quite well too, then, upon taking a Princeton Review LSAT course, and receiving a much lower score, the instructor informed me that the Superprep tests are from the 90s, which are exponentially easier than the the LSAT tests that have been released since the 2000s up till now. The more recent tests apparently contain much harder questions and individual's are much more time-constrained upon taking them. I know, I freaked out too, however, the new tests can be learned and mastered too, just much harder.


Made me lol.

jets098
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: LSAT Practice Tests Bad Score

Postby jets098 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:52 am

I have one other 162 on a test that is a little more recent. I am working my way up to the most recent tests so I take those the closest to test day. I am going to take a week off of taking tests after this one and do individual section work and see if i can refine some of the techniques from the bible. My goal is to get 165+ on test day which I feel like is reasonable at this point if I put in a few hours a day and keep improving so I don't miss as much on logic games (or make stupid mistakes like i did this time). The logic games in the more recent tests are definitely a lot easier I have found which definitely should improve my score.

perry24
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 2:31 am

Re: LSAT Practice Tests Bad Score

Postby perry24 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:01 am

jets526, I'm in a very similar situation as you. Of 5 recent preptests my scores started off well and then dropped off a bit.

166, 168, 165, 163, 163.

I was beginning to wonder if this is normal, I guess it is. I have the same goal as you, 165+ in October but I might have it harder since I've gotten a perfect score on every single LG section and RC is the one that's all over the place for me and RC is hardest to improve on. =(

PinkFloydPerson
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: LSAT Practice Tests Bad Score

Postby PinkFloydPerson » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:03 pm

sberg1 wrote:I hate to be the 'bringer of bad news' but if the only practice tests you took were from "Super Prep" than most likely your score is higher than it will be on 'more recent' tests. I say this from experience. I took the Official LSAT Superprep and score quite well too, then, upon taking a Princeton Review LSAT course, and receiving a much lower score, the instructor informed me that the Superprep tests are from the 90s, which are exponentially easier than the the LSAT tests that have been released since the 2000s up till now. The more recent tests apparently contain much harder questions and individual's are much more time-constrained upon taking them. I know, I freaked out too, however, the new tests can be learned and mastered too, just much harder.


I disagree. While I can't speak for all post 2000 tests, I took my friends' June 2010 that was released and it seemed easier then some of the practices, 90's and beyond..

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: LSAT Practice Tests Bad Score

Postby Adjudicator » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:05 pm

PinkFloydPerson wrote:I disagree. While I can't speak for all post 2000 tests, I took my friends' June 2010 that was released and it seemed easier then some of the practices, 90's and beyond..


Is that the one with the "mulch and stone" Logic Game that I keep hearing about? I haven't done 50-60 yet but I've heard so many intimidating things about that one game.

User avatar
sberg1
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: LSAT Practice Tests Bad Score

Postby sberg1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:19 pm

Sorry to be so long-winded but... I cannot speak for all practice tests, more so I was speaking 'on average.' My instructor though, would have some idea of what she is talking about. My class being an online class, the instructor stands out as one of the foremost LSAT tutors in the country (Avgs about $600-$700 per hour) and has been a tutor since the 1980s, thus, she would have some sense of the ranges of difficulty on LSATs now and then. She said that the easiness of questions on the LSAT, as in, for the games, more "specific" questions, hardly any "general" questions or "complex" questions (those that start with "if" vs. those that start with "which" or change a clue, respectively.)" Also she said the argument and reading comprehension sections have become more time-constrained as well, with more information to read and more difficult questions. I think she was mainly referring to those LSATs from 2006 and later, though. So, some early 2000 LSATs could be more similar to the 1990s ones. Those SuperPrep tests are easier though, due to the score differences many, including myself, have experienced between those tests and more difficult and later tests. I do not know why LSAC would sell something that does not accurately gauge performance?!

PinkFloydPerson
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: LSAT Practice Tests Bad Score

Postby PinkFloydPerson » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:38 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
PinkFloydPerson wrote:I disagree. While I can't speak for all post 2000 tests, I took my friends' June 2010 that was released and it seemed easier then some of the practices, 90's and beyond..


Is that the one with the "mulch and stone" Logic Game that I keep hearing about? I haven't done 50-60 yet but I've heard so many intimidating things about that one game.


Yes.

IMO, that game is easier than almost all i've seen. Seriously, I am not a "genious snob" by any stretch of the imagination, and I am baffled why anyone would call that hard.

PinkFloydPerson
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: LSAT Practice Tests Bad Score

Postby PinkFloydPerson » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:40 pm

sberg1 wrote:Sorry to be so long-winded but... I cannot speak for all practice tests, more so I was speaking 'on average.' My instructor though, would have some idea of what she is talking about. My class being an online class, the instructor stands out as one of the foremost LSAT tutors in the country (Avgs about $600-$700 per hour) and has been a tutor since the 1980s, thus, she would have some sense of the ranges of difficulty on LSATs now and then. She said that the easiness of questions on the LSAT, as in, for the games, more "specific" questions, hardly any "general" questions or "complex" questions (those that start with "if" vs. those that start with "which" or change a clue, respectively.)" Also she said the argument and reading comprehension sections have become more time-constrained as well, with more information to read and more difficult questions. I think she was mainly referring to those LSATs from 2006 and later, though. So, some early 2000 LSATs could be more similar to the 1990s ones. Those SuperPrep tests are easier though, due to the score differences many, including myself, have experienced between those tests and more difficult and later tests. I do not know why LSAC would sell something that does not accurately gauge performance?!


I think it boils down to personal abilities.

User avatar
blhblahblah
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:54 pm

Re: LSAT Practice Tests Bad Score

Postby blhblahblah » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:01 pm

sberg1 wrote:I hate to be the 'bringer of bad news' but if the only practice tests you took were from "Super Prep" than most likely your score is higher than it will be on 'more recent' tests. I say this from experience. I took the Official LSAT Superprep and score quite well too, then, upon taking a Princeton Review LSAT course, and receiving a much lower score, the instructor informed me that the Superprep tests are from the 90s, which are exponentially easier than the the LSAT tests that have been released since the 2000s up till now. The more recent tests apparently contain much harder questions and individual's are much more time-constrained upon taking them. I know, I freaked out too, however, the new tests can be learned and mastered too, just much harder.


Your English really makes me want to puke

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: LSAT Practice Tests Bad Score

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:51 pm

sberg1 wrote:Sorry to be so long-winded but... I cannot speak for all practice tests, more so I was speaking 'on average.' My instructor though, would have some idea of what she is talking about. My class being an online class, the instructor stands out as one of the foremost LSAT tutors in the country (Avgs about $600-$700 per hour) and has been a tutor since the 1980s, thus, she would have some sense of the ranges of difficulty on LSATs now and then. She said that the easiness of questions on the LSAT, as in, for the games, more "specific" questions, hardly any "general" questions or "complex" questions (those that start with "if" vs. those that start with "which" or change a clue, respectively.)" Also she said the argument and reading comprehension sections have become more time-constrained as well, with more information to read and more difficult questions. I think she was mainly referring to those LSATs from 2006 and later, though. So, some early 2000 LSATs could be more similar to the 1990s ones. Those SuperPrep tests are easier though, due to the score differences many, including myself, have experienced between those tests and more difficult and later tests. I do not know why LSAC would sell something that does not accurately gauge performance?!


This post made me laugh. It's pretty stupid. In fact, quite a few people have talked about Superprep C kicking their asses. But in my experience (I just finished superprep). The RC and LR seem to not be causing me any trouble with timing, and I was more time constrained a few newer ones i've taken. But the LG in the superprep was definitely harder than the LG in the more recent tests i've taken.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: LSAT Practice Tests Bad Score

Postby 3|ink » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:57 pm

You've only taken 5 tests. Even if we assume that your first test was 150 and your second, third and fourth tests were 160, 161 and 162 respectively, it's not hard to believe that you'd get a 156 on the subsequent fifth test. For many people, the range is 9 points.

neuville
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:42 pm

Re: LSAT Practice Tests Bad Score

Postby neuville » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:45 pm

valoo2007 wrote:
sberg1 wrote:I hate to be the 'bringer of bad news' but if the only practice tests you took were from "Super Prep" than most likely your score is higher than it will be on 'more recent' tests. I say this from experience. I took the Official LSAT Superprep and score quite well too, then, upon taking a Princeton Review LSAT course, and receiving a much lower score, the instructor informed me that the Superprep tests are from the 90s, which are exponentially easier than the the LSAT tests that have been released since the 2000s up till now. The more recent tests apparently contain much harder questions and individual's are much more time-constrained upon taking them. I know, I freaked out too, however, the new tests can be learned and mastered too, just much harder.



Makes an invalid appeal to expert authority.


I registered for an account just to say, LOL!!!




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Veil of Ignorance and 8 guests