PT 7 Section 4 #15 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
whymeohgodno

Gold

PT 7 Section 4 #15

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:00 pm

Can anyone tell me why the answer is E?

I don't think the question ever says that it is the "best possible" way....it just says that it is a better way than one method.

JacobH

New

Re: PT 7 Section 4 #15

Post by JacobH » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:36 pm

Is this the consistency of ice cream one?

It's E because when the temperature is low, stabilizers aren't needed, and when temperature is stable, the consistency of ice cream isn't compromised.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:44 pm

JacobH wrote:Is this the consistency of ice cream one?

It's E because when the temperature is low, stabilizers aren't needed, and when temperature is stable, the consistency of ice cream isn't compromised.
Yes it is the ice cream one.

I agree with everything you said but the answer states "the best possible".

So if the question only talks about 2 possible methods, is it safe to assume that these 2 are the only possible methods of achieving something?

JacobH

New

Post by JacobH » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:50 pm

Yup, the only thing relevant in finding the correct answer in inference questions is what the passage tells you.

If an inference passage were to say "there is only the color black and white and no other colors" then you have to follow their rules.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:52 pm

JacobH wrote:Yup, the only thing relevant in finding the correct answer in inference questions is what the passage tells you.

If an inference passage were to say "there is only the color black and white and no other colors" then you have to follow their rules.
But the passage didn't say that "there is only this method and that method" it was more like "there is method A and method B".

This is why I'm confused as to why the answer would say "best possible", doesn't it seem too strong considering we don't know if these two are the only two methods?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JacobH

New

Post by JacobH » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:32 pm

For this question,

A: Passage never states the ratio between loss of consistency and loss of flavor, so while this might be true, we can't infer from the passage.

B: If storage temperatures are relatively high, would that sacrifice consistency? Not necessarily, as the first sentence in the passage tells us, changes WITHIN the freezer effects consistency. If the storage temperature is relatively high, but it stays that way, there would be no changes in temperature. So we can rule this out.

C: We don't know either way the cost-effectiveness of creating new devices compared to the cost-effectiveness of raising storage temperatures.

D: The passage does not mention when stabilizers are most effective, only that they are less needed at low temperatures.

E: This we can definitely infer.

According to this universe, [changes in storage temperature = loss of consistency]. So the less changes there are (or no changes), the more consistent the ice cream is. However, since we do not know the degree of changes in consistency, we'll have to simplify this to:

either 1) Change in temperature,
or 2) No change in temperature

A point for "stable freezer temperatures".

[Stabilizers are less needed at low temperatures], which we can switch around to [stabilizers are more needed at higher temperatures]. So the lower the temperature, the less we need stabilizers. This becomes:

either 1) Higher temperatures, more stabilizers
or 2) Lower temperatures, less stabilizers

A point for "very low temperatures".

According to this universe, since we can't infer other new technologies that can give the very best possible ice cream consistency and flavoring, we have to dismiss external influences and play with our rules as given. So yes, stable and very low temperatures give the "best possible" ice cream.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:08 pm

JacobH wrote:For this question,

A: Passage never states the ratio between loss of consistency and loss of flavor, so while this might be true, we can't infer from the passage.

B: If storage temperatures are relatively high, would that sacrifice consistency? Not necessarily, as the first sentence in the passage tells us, changes WITHIN the freezer effects consistency. If the storage temperature is relatively high, but it stays that way, there would be no changes in temperature. So we can rule this out.

C: We don't know either way the cost-effectiveness of creating new devices compared to the cost-effectiveness of raising storage temperatures.

D: The passage does not mention when stabilizers are most effective, only that they are less needed at low temperatures.

E: This we can definitely infer.

According to this universe, [changes in storage temperature = loss of consistency]. So the less changes there are (or no changes), the more consistent the ice cream is. However, since we do not know the degree of changes in consistency, we'll have to simplify this to:

either 1) Change in temperature,
or 2) No change in temperature

A point for "stable freezer temperatures".

[Stabilizers are less needed at low temperatures], which we can switch around to [stabilizers are more needed at higher temperatures]. So the lower the temperature, the less we need stabilizers. This becomes:

either 1) Higher temperatures, more stabilizers
or 2) Lower temperatures, less stabilizers

A point for "very low temperatures".

According to this universe, since we can't infer other new technologies that can give the very best possible ice cream consistency and flavoring, we have to dismiss external influences and play with our rules as given. So yes, stable and very low temperatures give the "best possible" ice cream.
Thanks. That's what I needed to hear. So for future references, in an inference game we take only the information given and treat as if that was the ONLY information that is relevant at all?

JacobH

New

Post by JacobH » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:23 pm

Yup, for inference questions and some other types of questions. I think unless specifically told to add new information in the question, you just take the passages as a given.

Audio Technica Guy

Bronze

Post by Audio Technica Guy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:31 pm

you're absolutely right in your initial criticism of this question. "best possible" is too strong to be able to accurately infer. Yeah, E is the best answer, but LSAC fucked up here. They did this sort of thing not infrequently on the very early tests.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:59 pm

Audio Technica Guy wrote:you're absolutely right in your initial criticism of this question. "best possible" is too strong to be able to accurately infer. Yeah, E is the best answer, but LSAC fucked up here. They did this sort of thing not infrequently on the very early tests.
Am I? The other poster seemed to disagree. Idk whether I was right in doubting the answer or whether I was missing some crucial link.

JacobH

New

Post by JacobH » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:04 am

I didn't really think too much of it being too powerful, because I knew the previous four answers could not possibly be the right answer. Could it be a mistake? Possibly. But I already knew going into the test that LSAT writers are terrible, so sometimes you have to figure out the least bad answer.

BUT, in this case I still stand by my analysis of the answer choices.

Audio Technica Guy

Bronze

Post by Audio Technica Guy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:46 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
Audio Technica Guy wrote:you're absolutely right in your initial criticism of this question. "best possible" is too strong to be able to accurately infer. Yeah, E is the best answer, but LSAC fucked up here. They did this sort of thing not infrequently on the very early tests.
Am I? The other poster seemed to disagree. Idk whether I was right in doubting the answer or whether I was missing some crucial link.
It's definitely too strong to be accurately inferred as written, but it is the least bad answer. They've gotten substantially better about this type of thing over the years. I'd be SHOCKED if they put something like that on a test now.

The other thing is that more people take the LSAT now, so their experimental sections get tested more throughly than in the old days, which leads to better questions making it through.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”