Great success on improving LR sections!!

PinkFloydPerson

Great success on improving LR sections!!

Postby PinkFloydPerson » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:51 pm

I have been studying for almost 3 months in prep. for the October test, and I have taken 14 of the practice tests so far. I have yet to break the mid 160's and have leveled off at an average of about 163. I took some time off to stop cramming my brain and then hit the bibles.

WOW did they do wonders, the person who authors those is a great writer. His writing style reminds me a Steven Hawking in his "Universe in a Nutshell" book. Hawking's style has been described as "playfully insightful on complex topics" and the powerscore books are much like that. I have only finished some of the LG bible and about 1/5 of the LR bible and my score has jumped to 170 on the last 2 tests I took yesterday and today. My score was hurting mostly because of my LR sections. Thank god LR is 50% of the test, they are actually quite easy..

banana613

Re: Great success on improving LR sections!!

Postby banana613 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:00 pm

Would you mind sharing which parts of the LR bible were most helpful? I'm really struggling with LR. Thanks!

PinkFloydPerson

Postby PinkFloydPerson » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:11 pm

The understanding of the correct interchange of words "must be, sometimes, possibly, most," etc took the questions down many notches in difficulty. Many times in my case I narrowed down questions to 2 possible answers and selected the wrong one. It seems I have overcome that barrier and then some with what I have learned so far.. the wording of probability has made a huge difference.

GoGetIt

Postby GoGetIt » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:05 am

What was your initial diagnostic score cold? BTW, great gains, congrats on breaking the 170 mark and keep it up!

amkid100

Postby amkid100 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:28 am

PinkFloydPerson wrote:I have been studying for almost 3 months in prep. for the October test, and I have taken 14 of the practice tests so far. I have yet to break the mid 160's and have leveled off at an average of about 163. I took some time off to stop cramming my brain and then hit the bibles.

WOW did they do wonders, the person who authors those is a great writer. His writing style reminds me a Steven Hawking in his "Universe in a Nutshell" book. Hawking's style has been described as "playfully insightful on complex topics" and the powerscore books are much like that. I have only finished some of the LG bible and about 1/5 of the LR bible and my score has jumped to 170 on the last 2 tests I took yesterday and today. My score was hurting mostly because of my LR sections. Thank god LR is 50% of the test, they are actually quite easy..

i couldn't agree more. i've only gotten through the two introductory chapters (no specific question types yet) and already i found that it helped tremendously. i found their recommendation to use process of elimination and read all answer choices before making a determination to be EXTREMELY helpful on LR. they're right - the testmakers frequently put an answer choice that seems possible before the absolutely correct one and unless you read all choices you could fall into the trap.

i can't wait until i get to the chapter on parallel reasoning...those are the worst.

JesusChrist

Postby JesusChrist » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:23 am

amkid100 wrote:
PinkFloydPerson wrote:I have been studying for almost 3 months in prep. for the October test, and I have taken 14 of the practice tests so far. I have yet to break the mid 160's and have leveled off at an average of about 163. I took some time off to stop cramming my brain and then hit the bibles.

i couldn't agree more. i've only gotten through the two introductory chapters (no specific question types yet) and already i found that it helped tremendously. i found their recommendation to use process of elimination and read all answer choices before making a determination to be EXTREMELY helpful on LR. they're right - the testmakers frequently put an answer choice that seems possible before the absolutely correct one and unless you read all choices you could fall into the trap.

i can't wait until i get to the chapter on parallel reasoning...those are the worst.

Hmm, I've been crossing off answers as I go down the multiple choice list. Are you saying that that isn't productive? I do feel that doing this makes me biased against other choices when I feel that I already have the Correct answer.

PinkFloydPerson

Postby PinkFloydPerson » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:09 am

GoGetIt wrote:What was your initial diagnostic score cold? BTW, great gains, congrats on breaking the 170 mark and keep it up!

Thanks. The very first I took cold was untimed and I got a 154. However, the very next one was 159, and then I leveled off at the low-mid 160's for each after.

To answer to the above, elimination is important. Look for contenders (I lightly underline the letter for contenders) and cross off ones that are wrong. I'm not sure why I do this, but I start by reading A and assessing it, then reading E and assessing it, then middle ones.

amkid100 wrote:i can't wait until i get to the chapter on parallel reasoning...those are the worst.

Those could be worse.. conditional reasoning = :evil: haha

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”