review time

GoGetIt

review time

Postby GoGetIt » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:19 pm

How long does it usually take all of you to fully review a practice test?

nStiver

Re: review time

Postby nStiver » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:29 pm

A very long time. Much longer than the time it takes for the test itself.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:30 pm

2 minutes lately.

I know. I'm bad :(

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:32 pm

Like 30 minutes to an hour depending how many I get wrong.

I think I go through it too fast though. It's mostly because a lot of the LR mistakes I make turn out to be stupid mistakes when I review them and I just don't know a thorough way to review RC.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:46 pm

about 5 hours to do it right. Every question has to be reviewed, whether you got it right or wrong.

GoGetIt

Postby GoGetIt » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:02 pm

nStiver wrote:A very long time. Much longer than the time it takes for the test itself.

Okay so I'm not the only one. I felt like I was going crazy because it takes me hours to do. Probably because I go through both the right and wrong answers.

@ why...
I too also have a lot of problems with figuring out how I'm supposed to review the reading comp sections

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:08 pm

1-2 hours. (with distractions)

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:15 pm

GoGetIt wrote:I too also have a lot of problems with figuring out how I'm supposed to review the reading comp sections

RC is one of the hardest sections to analyze and thus one of the hardest to improve on. IMHO there are two things you want to look for in reviewing reading comp. First is that you want to find where the answers live in the passage. You should be able to literally put your finger on the part that gives you the answer to just about any question. (I'd say every question, but I'm sure some dork will dig up a passage from preptest 7 where that isn't the case.)

Second, you need to look at the passage as containing kindof a map directing you toward those answers you found. What words or phrases indicate that something was important or that there was a shift in tone coming or that gives some other such directional cue? What you'll find is that the passages tend to be very similar from test to test in that they use the same types of cues and clues to point you toward the material you need to recall. Eventually you'll see the matrix.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:45 pm

EarlCat wrote:
GoGetIt wrote:I too also have a lot of problems with figuring out how I'm supposed to review the reading comp sections

RC is one of the hardest sections to analyze and thus one of the hardest to improve on. IMHO there are two things you want to look for in reviewing reading comp. First is that you want to find where the answers live in the passage. You should be able to literally put your finger on the part that gives you the answer to just about any question. (I'd say every question, but I'm sure some dork will dig up a passage from preptest 7 where that isn't the case.)

Second, you need to look at the passage as containing kindof a map directing you toward those answers you found. What words or phrases indicate that something was important or that there was a shift in tone coming or that gives some other such directional cue? What you'll find is that the passages tend to be very similar from test to test in that they use the same types of cues and clues to point you toward the material you need to recall. Eventually you'll see the matrix.

Cat in god mode? That avatar is epic.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:35 pm

15-20 minutes. Apparently I'm lazy, because I only review the ones I either got wrong or had difficulty on.

DGLitcH

Postby DGLitcH » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:14 pm

Last edited by DGLitcH on Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:21 pm

I do Stanley Otto Swift's method of redoing the test and then after I review my answers. It probably takes 2.5-3 hours to redo the test, and maybe 30-45 minutes to review EACH LR section and the reading comp. So basically it's an all day affair from taking the PT at 11ish am until about 8 or 9 at night. Most times I can't do all the review in one day.

GoGetIt

Postby GoGetIt » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:57 pm

Anaconda wrote:I do Stanley Otto Swift's method of redoing the test and then after I review my answers. It probably takes 2.5-3 hours to redo the test, and maybe 30-45 minutes to review EACH LR section and the reading comp. So basically it's an all day affair from taking the PT at 11ish am until about 8 or 9 at night. Most times I can't do all the review in one day.

yeah it's very time consuming, but i do learn a lot from every session. Do you review all of the answer choices to see why they were wrong and how/why you either missed or selected the right answer?

amkid100

Postby amkid100 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:06 am

i go over right and wrong answers in LR and RC and that takes about 45 minutes. I then redo the LG section because that's my weakest. Never more than 2 hours.

I'm shocked that people take longer! I thought I was a thorough reviewer :/

JacobH

Postby JacobH » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:12 am

What do you guys feel is the benefit from reviewing all the right answers? The only right answers I review are the ones that gave me trouble. I feel like that is a drastic waste of time.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:14 am

JacobH wrote:What do you guys feel is the benefit from reviewing all the right answers? The only right answers I review are the ones that gave me trouble. I feel like that is a drastic waste of time.

I personally think that's the way to go. If you got it wrong or are not sure why it is right, you better review it.

GoGetIt

Postby GoGetIt » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:20 am

3|ink wrote:
JacobH wrote:What do you guys feel is the benefit from reviewing all the right answers? The only right answers I review are the ones that gave me trouble. I feel like that is a drastic waste of time.

I personally think that's the way to go. If you got it wrong or are not sure why it is right, you better review it.

+1

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:27 am

Just because you got an answer right doesn't mean you got the answer right as quickly as possible, or that you didn't guess. I think by examining each question, you find patterns more easily. The idea is to not only figure out why you got questions wrong, but to identify ways you can shave seconds off the questions you got right.

That being said, I usually just glaze over the first 10 questions in LR because I know that I go 10/10 on that area and pretty efficiently so there's not much room for improvement. It's a mistake to take the same approach in something like Logic Games, where just because you went 6/6 on a game doesn't mean you shouldn't look it over. You could have spent 11 minutes on that game, siphoning off valuable time for the next section, so the real reason you did poorly on the fourth game is that you spent too much time on the second.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:31 am

TommyK wrote:

Just because you got an answer right doesn't mean you got the answer right as quickly as possible, or that you didn't guess. I think by examining each question, you find patterns more easily. The idea is to not only figure out why you got questions wrong, but to identify ways you can shave seconds off the questions you got right.

Waste of time.

JacobH

Postby JacobH » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:34 am

TommyK wrote:

That being said, I usually just glaze over the first 10 questions in LR because I know that I go 10/10 on that area and pretty efficiently so there's not much room for improvement. It's a mistake to take the same approach in something like Logic Games, where just because you went 6/6 on a game doesn't mean you shouldn't look it over. You could have spent 11 minutes on that game, siphoning off valuable time for the next section, so the real reason you did poorly on the fourth game is that you spent too much time on the second.

For LG I always redo every game, because the more comfortable I am with the game types, the faster I'll become at setting up the new games. That should be a given. But for sections like LR or RC, I don't see the need to go over the right answers that didn't give you any trouble. If I find myself taking too long on one LR question, I just circle that one and move on. Then when doing my review, I know that I got it right, but it still took me valuable time to get it right, so only when circumstances like that happens will I review those questions.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:01 am

TommyK wrote:

^This. Every new question you see should remind you of another question you've seen.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:38 pm

naterj wrote:
TommyK wrote:

Waste of time.

<sarcasm> You present a compelling argument. </sarcasm>

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:10 am

Hannibal wrote:15-20 minutes. Apparently I'm lazy, because I only review the ones I either got wrong or had difficulty on.

True that.

I do not have it in me to analyze a question that I got right with ease. I should and sometimes do, analyze questions that gave me trouble. I circle those as I go through.

I do go through things that tripped me up as a warning to watch out for next time, not just individual questions. Like, a focus on reading the question fully or not applying a rule in this wrong way or whatever.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”