Im new to this site--- What prep course do you swear by?!?

PatsyCline

Im new to this site--- What prep course do you swear by?!?

Postby PatsyCline » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:08 am

I just decided about 2 weeks ago that I'm definitely going to follow my dreams and try and get into law school. I would like to take the test in December, which i don't even know if its possible for me to do it in that short amount of time, but i want to try.

I've been trying to research prep courses.... People have recommended Kaplan and Princeton prep. DO any of you have any advice on which is better to do?

Thank you in advance for any advice you have for me.

3|ink

Re: Im new to this site--- What prep course do you swear by?!?

Postby 3|ink » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:12 am

If you're a good book learner, don't take a class. Buy the Powerscore Logic Games Bible and Logical Reasoning Bible. However, if you're more of a class learner, take Powerscore, Princeton Review or TestMasters. I've taken TestMasters and my only complaint is that they have too much course material but not enough practice tests. I learn better taking practice tests than doing 100 of the same question type in a row. Aside from that, they have excellent teachers.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:41 am

There's no one best course. It depends on a lot of factors, some of which are local and some of which are personal. All reputable courses give access to all released LSATs, so that's not really a distinguishing factor. I always recommend the long (80+ hours) courses over the short (fewer than 50 hours) ones, because the LSAT is a complicated test and there's a lot to learn. Fortunately, at least five major companies offer such long courses. The next most important factor is the teacher. Find out what you can about the teacher's qualifications (most of the major companies require at least a 98th percentile real score, but years of experience and other qualifications are important). After that, there are several additional factors to consider:

* Availability of instructor for extra help/office hours outside of class vs. phone helpline
* Schedule; generally compressed courses (in less than two months) require a LOT of outside-of-class homework, while courses lasting three months or more spread out the work somewhat more manageably
* Class size (some classes are typically upwards of 100 people, while others are typically 15-25)

There are probably some others I'm forgetting.

By the way, I'm a Princeton Review teacher, so if there's anything you want to know about us, feel free to ask.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:48 am

tomwatts wrote:There's no one best course. It depends on a lot of factors, some of which are local and some of which are personal. All reputable courses give access to all released LSATs, so that's not really a distinguishing factor. I always recommend the long (80+ hours) courses over the short (fewer than 50 hours) ones, because the LSAT is a complicated test and there's a lot to learn. Fortunately, at least five major companies offer such long courses. The next most important factor is the teacher. Find out what you can about the teacher's qualifications (most of the major companies require at least a 98th percentile real score, but years of experience and other qualifications are important). After that, there are several additional factors to consider:

* Availability of instructor for extra help/office hours outside of class vs. phone helpline
* Schedule; generally compressed courses (in less than two months) require a LOT of outside-of-class homework, while courses lasting three months or more spread out the work somewhat more manageably
* Class size (some classes are typically upwards of 100 people, while others are typically 15-25)

There are probably some others I'm forgetting.

By the way, I'm a Princeton Review teacher, so if there's anything you want to know about us, feel free to ask.

+1. For what it's worth, Powerscore and Testmasters seem to have a good rep on these forums, while Kaplan and Princeton are generally frowned upon. Personally, though, I think the quality of your instructor is going to make the biggest difference. I took the Kaplan Advanced Online course and had a great experience. My instructor was phenomenal, the methods were helpful and intuitive, and there was plenty of (optional) outside work available for us over-achievers.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:00 pm

beachbum wrote:+1. For what it's worth, Powerscore and Testmasters seem to have a good rep on these forums, while Kaplan and Princeton are generally frowned upon. Personally, though, I think the quality of your instructor is going to make the biggest difference. I took the Kaplan Advanced Online course and had a great experience. My instructor was phenomenal, the methods were helpful and intuitive, and there was plenty of (optional) outside work available for us over-achievers.

I think the frowning on the Princeton Review is a product of their past (and the fact that people think they're the same as Kaplan). TPR used to really really suck, and their retail books for the most part still suck. BUT their classroom courses have improved significantly over the last half decade or so. I taught for them for several years before law school, and I have very few complaints about their curriculum.

I agree with everything tomwatts said, although I'd put the instructor as the most important thing to consider.

bp colin

Postby bp colin » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:14 pm

Just one more thing going along with the good instructor thing, I think it's also important to have one good instructor. Once in a while you'll find classes where the first half is taught by one person, then the second half by another, and that can be somewhat disruptive to the learning process.

And I teach for Blueprint, pm me if you've got questions about us.

ninjasrule

Postby ninjasrule » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:56 pm

Courage Wolf. But I digress...

Spykuh

Postby Spykuh » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:58 pm

bp colin wrote:Just one more thing going along with the good instructor thing, I think it's also important to have one good instructor. Once in a while you'll find classes where the first half is taught by one person, then the second half by another, and that can be somewhat disruptive to the learning process.

And I teach for Blueprint, pm me if you've got questions about us.

I took a Blueprint prep course, and I swear by them.

abitaman6363

Postby abitaman6363 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:00 am

I know all of Princeton Review's material comes directly from previous LSAT tests. Does Kaplan or TestMasters do this?

Full disclosure: I'm a former TPR teacher and heard Kaplan created their own examples. I thought that might have changed. I'm simply not familiar with TestMasters and am therefore curious.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:04 am

The major courses all use real LSAT questions now (aside from the occasional drill or mini-game to illustrate a point).

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:07 am

3|ink wrote:If you're a good book learner, don't take a class. Buy the Powerscore Logic Games Bible and Logical Reasoning Bible.

+1... don't think you "have" to go to a class, a lot of the highest-scoring people here self-studied.

Blindc1rca

Postby Blindc1rca » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:03 am

3|ink wrote:
If you're a good book learner, don't take a class. Buy the Powerscore Logic Games Bible and Logical Reasoning Bible.

+1... don't think you "have" to go to a class, a lot of the highest-scoring people here self-studied.

+1,000,000 The money you'd spend on the class could be used more wisely, IMO. Get the PTs, get the bibles, get a good bag of coffee, and get to work.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:05 am

Blindc1rca wrote:
3|ink wrote:
If you're a good book learner, don't take a class. Buy the Powerscore Logic Games Bible and Logical Reasoning Bible.

+1,000,000 The money you'd spend on the class could be used more wisely, IMO. Get the PTs, get the bibles, get a good bag of coffee, and get to work.

Eh, it depends how you learn. For me, hearing the lessons from an experienced teacher (and being able to ask questions and get feedback) was far more valuable than just working through the Bibles and doing PTs (though I did that too). Being in a classroom environment with other intelligent people (which is why I recommend taking a class geared towards high-scorers) was also beneficial.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:57 am

I learn great by books, and I got a 173 from self study. Most people would be satisfied with that, and at the time I was. BUT when I was trained to teach the test by a very very good, experienced instructor, it was like the fog lifted. Stuff that I was doing by brute mental force I found out could be done with shortcuts because the LSAT pulls the same tricks test after test. I would have benefited greatly from taking his class.

TPR Hiring Southeast

Postby TPR Hiring Southeast » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:29 pm

The Princeton Review :)

Though seriously if you have questions, PM me. I do hiring for the Southeast TPR, but I'm also an LSAT instructor and trainer.

Atlas LSAT Teacher

Postby Atlas LSAT Teacher » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:22 am

Since everyone's throwing their ring in the hat...

Our company does quite a bit to ensure teacher quality (we only accept 99th percentile scorers with 2+ years of experience, we put them through a multi-stage audition, train the small percent who pass for 2-3 months and then pay them $100/hr + prep time). Plus we keep our classes small to allow us to teach through debate and question and answer.

You're also welcome to sit in on the first session to make sure it's a good fit, we're not for everyone...You might want to try out a trial with us or someone else. As everyone is suggesting, there's nothing worse than realizing after you've signed up for a class that you don't think the teacher is good.

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:41 pm

EarlCat wrote:I learn great by books, and I got a 173 from self study. Most people would be satisfied with that, and at the time I was. BUT when I was trained to teach the test by a very very good, experienced instructor, it was like the fog lifted. Stuff that I was doing by brute mental force I found out could be done with shortcuts because the LSAT pulls the same tricks test after test. I would have benefited greatly from taking his class.

I'm curious as to what shortcuts you learned :mrgreen:

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:49 am

i just finished the PR course online. I thought the course was very helpful, especially with forcing you to make a study schedule, and having someone to verbally tell you how and why the answer is right is good ( i had 2 awesome teachers). I also supplimented the PR with the LRB and LGB. While some of the phrasing are different, the basic jist of the 2 are the same. If you do end up in a class, make sure to take notes and do ALL of the homework ( i do the games 2-3 times -depending on if i score a perfecton the first 2 attempts). and go to ALL of the classes.

IF you feel that teh online class is going too slow, you can always go ahead and use the class as a review time/ extra help. Personally, i really liked teh structure of the class, as it forcced me to create and adapt to having 3 horus a day set aside for lsat study ( 2 classes a week, plus extra work and review)

snodell

Postby snodell » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:03 pm

save your $. no prep course! self study you can do it!

jdgolfer

Postby jdgolfer » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:26 pm

I'm a self-study and I'm currently reading the Powerscore Bibles and they are working for me. I tried to read Kaplan, Barrons, and LSAT Super Prep and they did not help at all. Powerscore really breaks it down well. I'm sure their courses are as good as their books too. Check it out. They are pricey though--just a warning.

PatsyCline wrote:
I just decided about 2 weeks ago that I'm definitely going to follow my dreams and try and get into law school. I would like to take the test in December, which i don't even know if its possible for me to do it in that short amount of time, but i want to try.

I've been trying to research prep courses.... People have recommended Kaplan and Princeton prep. DO any of you have any advice on which is better to do?

Thank you in advance for any advice you have for me.

jdgolfer

Postby jdgolfer » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:31 pm

+ A TRILLION!

Blindc1rca wrote:
3|ink wrote:

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:16 am

AverageTutoring wrote:
EarlCat wrote:I learn great by books, and I got a 173 from self study. Most people would be satisfied with that, and at the time I was. BUT when I was trained to teach the test by a very very good, experienced instructor, it was like the fog lifted. Stuff that I was doing by brute mental force I found out could be done with shortcuts because the LSAT pulls the same tricks test after test. I would have benefited greatly from taking his class.

I'm curious as to what shortcuts you learned :mrgreen:

I charge $125 an hour. :D

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:20 am

Take Powerscore or Testmasters and/or self-study for six months!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”