SuperPrep B, Section 4, LR #21

dub

SuperPrep B, Section 4, LR #21

Postby dub » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:01 am

I understand that C is contrary to the last sentence and is correct. However, I do not understand why A is not also correct.

If a person whose actions are motivated by feelings is more praiseworthy than a person whose actions are not motivated by feelings, then by deeming the latter as less praiseworthy than the former, is not required that the ethicist measures the praiseworthiness of BOTH before making a comparison? Thus, it cannot be in the case that only actions motivated by feelings should be used in measuring the praiseworthiness of that person.

The explanation in the back says that it's only an extreme position: that people who act on cold and dispassionate concern deserve no praise. But by assessing something as deserving no praise, are you not measuring its praiseworthiness?

Maybe I missed something. Or maybe it's because I'm a mathematician. But could someone offer some insight?

yzero1

Re: SuperPrep B, Section 4, LR #21

Postby yzero1 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:10 pm

I think the reasoning is that (A) basically says that people who are motivated only by concern for moral obligation are NOT worthy of praise at all. And thus, you can't measure their praiseworthiness because there is none.

The stimulus doesn't actually measure the praiseworthiness of both categories of persons.. it just mentions that one must be at least as praiseworthy as the other, which is possible even if the second category is not susceptible to measuring.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”