Those of you who are now scoring 170+ please chime in...

harut44

Re: Those of you who are now scoring 170+ please chime in...

Postby harut44 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:10 am

aesis wrote:i took BP with one of the owners of the company last spring. i didn't really do any homework and went to all the classes except the last two weeks, which were just drills and some principle questions. and i barely touched games the entire course.

i started studying in july with pithypike and at the end of the month hit 163. a week later i took another pt and hit 163 again. then i hit 171 three days later after serious review. you HAVE to review every single time and really make an effort not to make the same mistakes again.

another 2 days later i hit 175, then 178, then 178.
you have to be conscious of the LSAT everyday, i'd say. breaks occasionally, but not too long.

btw, BP method for RC is garbage. you have to figure out your own method. mine is underline, bracket and highlight, but write one word abstractions to summarize a point so you don't spend too much time on the passage itself instead of the questions. kaplan recommends this approach: it's okay to look back because lots of the questions need context if you're going to answer them correctly.

BP focuses on getting it right the first read through and trying not to look back. which is ... backwards.

Their reasoning doesn't work for me at all, so yeah slowly I'm whittling my way into figuring out my own.

harut44

Re: Those of you who are now scoring 170+ please chime in...

Postby harut44 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:12 am

holborn wrote:I hit 170+ after about 3 weeks of intensive prep (not including the 5 weeks of crap Kaplan prep that preceded). my 2 previous practice tests before that first 170+ score were a 163 and a 167. After the first 170+ i never dipped below. It was definitely a sudden change. RC was definitely my weakest - as much as Kaplan blew i would recommend trying to get your hands on their mastery book. then you can only focus on the most difficult passages and questions (they rank every question in that book based on difficulty) without wasting time on the other stuff. I know it worked for LR, i didnt miss a question on that section after doing all the 4 and 5 star difficulty LR questions in the mastery book. the questions themselves arent new or different. its helpful because you can focus on the hard ones while ignoring the easy ones.

anyway, im really drunk right now (i suppose thats an advantage of going to a law school that spends the first 2.5 weeks on a pass/fail course where no one fails). so i hope this made some sense. if not, PM me and ill explain when far more sober.

Hahaha congrats on being done with the LSAT and onto LS.

I have the camrbidge 40932402308 hardest question packet which I do when I'm done with the HW and after PTs. I have a pretty high rate of accuracy with LR (maybe 3 wrong per LR section at most) but the room for improvement is there and I'm hoping this one month will do it.

I know I won't be able to nail the RC perfectly so I'd hope that all the points I lose would be from RC.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”