Those of you who are now scoring 170+ please chime in... Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
harut44

New

Those of you who are now scoring 170+ please chime in...

Post by harut44 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:20 pm

How long did it take you to get there? My highest practice test now is 168 and my average is about 166. I started studying in June for the October LSAT. Now that we have about a month and change left to go until the test, is it realistic to say that a jump to about the mid 170's is possible? How long did it take you to get out of the 160's indefinitely?

Knock

Platinum

Re: Those of you who are now scoring 170+ please chime in...

Post by Knock » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:23 pm

harut44 wrote:How long did it take you to get there? My highest practice test now is 168 and my average is about 166. I started studying in June for the October LSAT. Now that we have about a month and change left to go until the test, is it realistic to say that a jump to about the mid 170's is possible? How long did it take you to get out of the 160's indefinitely?
How many PT's have you taken, and where are your misses? If it is LG your missing most in, it's possible. Otherwise it might be tough. Don't give up though.

harut44

New

Post by harut44 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:34 pm

Knockglock wrote:
harut44 wrote:How long did it take you to get there? My highest practice test now is 168 and my average is about 166. I started studying in June for the October LSAT. Now that we have about a month and change left to go until the test, is it realistic to say that a jump to about the mid 170's is possible? How long did it take you to get out of the 160's indefinitely?
How many PT's have you taken, and where are your misses? If it is LG your missing most in, it's possible. Otherwise it might be tough. Don't give up though.
I've taken them all up to 19 and I plan to take the rest throughout September. I'm doing PT + the Blueprint course (which gives extensive amounts of homework). Logic games are solid usually none wrong. Weakest section is definitely RC, which I'm vigorously working on.

So realistically, you say no...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:35 pm

Where did you start? How how fast did you improve? How long have you been at your current average?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:36 pm

harut44 wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
I've taken them all up to 19. Logic games are solid usually none wrong. Weakest section is definitely RC, which I'm vigourusly working on.

So realistically, you say no...
I would say it's a long shot, but that doesn't mean by any means you should stop studying or give up. The thing about LSAT prep, and one of the things that makes it difficult, is that progression is not linear. You may have to spend weeks functioning at one level until you get it well enough and it clicks and you step it up to the next level. It's not possible to predict, but it definitely happens. I noticed it happening at several points during my original prep period. I suggest you take a couple of days off, have some fun, and then regroup and refocus. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

harut44

New

Post by harut44 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:40 pm

bk187 wrote:Where did you start? How how fast did you improve? How long have you been at your current average?
Took my first PT with Blueprint on July 3rd got a 147. By August 15th I was up to 166 with our second class PT. I took another one last Friday which was a 168.

Going into the test I had no idea what was going on. A few days of instruction then I picked up on a lot of things and that significantly boosted my score. I know what I do wrong when I review my PT and the wrong answers are mainly in RC.

harut44

New

Post by harut44 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:42 pm

Knockglock wrote: I would say it's a long shot, but that doesn't mean by any means you should stop studying or give up. The thing about LSAT prep, and one of the things that makes it difficult, is that progression is not linear. You may have to spend weeks functioning at one level until you get it well enough and it clicks and you step it up to the next level. It's not possible to predict, but it definitely happens. I noticed it happening at several points during my original prep period. I suggest you take a couple of days off, have some fun, and then regroup and refocus. Good luck!
Thanks, I took Saturday off for a little breather.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:45 pm

harut44 wrote:
bk187 wrote:Where did you start? How how fast did you improve? How long have you been at your current average?
Took my first PT with Blueprint on July 3rd got a 147. By August 15th I was up to 166 with our second class PT. I took another one last Friday which was a 168.

Going into the test I had no idea what was going on. A few days of instruction then I picked up on a lot of things and that significantly boosted my score. I know what I do wrong when I review my PT and the wrong answers are mainly in RC.
RC is hard to improve on imo. I've been doing tons of RC passages but I can never consistently get a good score.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:46 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:48 pm

I scored a 164 on my first actual LSAT. Now that I'm studying to take it again, all it took for me to consistently get into the 170s was to work through the LG Bible and do a lot of practice on LG; now, when I am able to finish the LG section, I typically score 175-180, and I'm getting more consistent with the ability to finish the LG section on time.

They say LG is the section where you can improve most drastically. I don't know how much improvement is possible with LR and RC because I've always been good at those. But for someone who is losing most of his points on LG, you can definitely fix that.

harut44

New

Post by harut44 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:50 pm

Adjudicator wrote:I scored a 164 on my first actual LSAT. Now that I'm studying to take it again, all it took for me to consistently get into the 170s was to work through the LG Bible and do a lot of practice on LG; now, when I am able to finish the LG section, I typically score 175-180, and I'm getting more consistent with the ability to finish the LG section on time.

They say LG is the section where you can improve most drastically. I don't know how much improvement is possible with LR and RC because I've always been good at those. But for someone who is losing most of his points on LG, you can definitely fix that.
My LG sections are consistently perfect it's RC that's the issue.

harut44

New

Post by harut44 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:50 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
harut44 wrote:

RC is hard to improve on imo. I've been doing tons of RC passages but I can never consistently get a good score.
I agree dude, I've been doing RC for two days straight now and it's weird. A few passages I'd get 0 wrong others -3. I need to zero in on it.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:57 pm

My first PT was 170+. If it makes you feel better: your GPA is better than mine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GoogleScholar

New

Post by GoogleScholar » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:02 pm

harut44 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
harut44 wrote:

I agree dude, I've been doing RC for two days straight now and it's weird. A few passages I'd get 0 wrong others -3. I need to zero in on it.

Make sure you go over and over the problems you get wrong. You're most likely missing the same type of questions, which, if it clicks, will give you a boost.

I was PT'ing around 168, and then jumped to 175 after a week once it clicked for me two weeks before the test (scored a 172 on test day), so it is possible to jump high, late

Unshake

New

Post by Unshake » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:09 pm

Diagnostic 8-9 months ago = 165
Diagnostic pre-studying = 164

I started July 1st and did the LR bible the LG with drilling using the Kaplan mastery book. My PT's have been 167 165 171 173 172 in that order so far. I go over the previous test just before taking the next, made my biggest gains in RC and LR. Logic games I'm getting about -4 per section...

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:11 pm

I started studying the LSAT in late June, my first was a 173 in mid-July. One person here took the LSAT like 7 times and it took him 2 years to get into the 170s. Results vary pretty wildly.

jr1886

Bronze

Post by jr1886 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:13 pm

Knockglock wrote:
LG is holding me from a 170. I'm averaging around 165 while missing -12 on average on LG alone. I hope i ca do it before the test.

Good luck OP

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:24 pm

I think you stand a chance, but it will depend on how much you want it. If I were you, I'd do as many RC sections as humanly possible.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:28 pm

Hannibal wrote:Results vary pretty wildly.
Very true... I didn't take a cold diagnostic, I did take one after finishing LGB and LRB and got a 170. I think it really depends.

yzero1

Bronze

Post by yzero1 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:49 pm

I started studying in May. My cold diagnostic was a 160 and I was able to break 170 a few times before June while taking part in a PR class. After I studied the LRB and LGB, I managed to score consistently in the 170s (this was late June/early July). I've been 175+ for my last 11 PTs and averaging 176-177 on my last 17 PTs.

And I think a jump to your mid 170's is possible, but it will be very difficult. I think you'll need to be averaging 175 at least a month before the LSAT to be safe.

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:32 pm

I started studying in July. It took me 5? tests + LGB/LRB to jump from mid 160's to low to mid 170's. I would say I started around 160's in the beginning of July, 2-3 weeks later, maybe, 170's?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

harut44

New

Post by harut44 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:31 am

Bumi wrote:My first PT was 170+. If it makes you feel better: your GPA is better than mine.
Children should idolize you.

I'm kidding.

harut44

New

Post by harut44 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:33 am

Thanks for the replies, looks like I just need to hone in on RC and it should be somewhat attainable.

As for the user who posted getting -12 on LG...pickup the LGB and read through it. With enough practice LG should click within 3 weeks. It's awesome how learn-able LGs are.

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:51 am

Last edited by holborn on Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aesis

Bronze

Post by aesis » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:02 am

i took BP with one of the owners of the company last spring. i didn't really do any homework and went to all the classes except the last two weeks, which were just drills and some principle questions. and i barely touched games the entire course.

i started studying in july with pithypike and at the end of the month hit 163. a week later i took another pt and hit 163 again. then i hit 171 three days later after serious review. you HAVE to review every single time and really make an effort not to make the same mistakes again.

another 2 days later i hit 175, then 178, then 178.
you have to be conscious of the LSAT everyday, i'd say. breaks occasionally, but not too long.

btw, BP method for RC is garbage. you have to figure out your own method. mine is underline, bracket and highlight, but write one word abstractions to summarize a point so you don't spend too much time on the passage itself instead of the questions. kaplan recommends this approach: it's okay to look back because lots of the questions need context if you're going to answer them correctly.

BP focuses on getting it right the first read through and trying not to look back. which is ... backwards.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”