Powerscore books in combination with Princeton Review

shanshan333

Powerscore books in combination with Princeton Review

Postby shanshan333 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:50 am

Hi everyone,

I'm currently being tutored by a Princeton Review tutor. He tutored me on the SAT and really liked me so now he tutors me on the LSAT for an amazing price. I will not tell you his name or any personal information as to not get him in trouble. He once mentioned to me that he does not like when his other students have two tutors because they get confused who to listen to and which methods to follow. However, after reading a lot of these forums I see that people really swear by the Powerscore books, thus I was wondering if anyone would recommend to use these books in addition to the methods taught by Princeton Review. I've read that Princeton Review's methodology leads to scores that are on the lower side and are more for general test takers,while the powerscore books pertain to students that want score on the higher scale. The reason I'm asking is because I was wondering whether this would cause the same issue that my tutor brought up: Will I be confused which methods and strategies to employ and will this be more confusing than helpful? My biggest issue is that Princeton Review tells most test takers to only do three logic games and do them at 100% accuracy, rather than attempt all four. I really want to try and get all four done as I don't want to rely on the fact that I will be 100% on the three games I do attempt and I also do not just want to throw away five or six questions. Currently I am able to get to the fourth logic game but I can only complete about two or three questions. I'm wondering if maybe powerscore can help provide me with some strategies that make assessing the logic games quicker. Like many test takers on here, with all the time in the world I really don't see these games as any problem.

Thanks in advance!

kazu

Re: Powerscore books in combination with Princeton Review

Postby kazu » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:07 am

Okay so I've never looked at the Princeton Review books, nor learned from one of their tutors so take my advice with a grain of salt. But if I were you I'd dump the tutor and the books and buy the Powerscore books. I really, honestly feel that with just the Powerscore book & lots of practice with PTs, anyone can get to -0~-2 on their own. Completing just 3 games within the time limit should not be your primary goal, especially if you can get to all 4 games within 40~50 minutes with reasonable accuracy (which it seems like you can.)

I didn't use the Powerscore LG methods exactly as in the book either - I went through the book, and then with practice I adjusted them into a method that best fit me. I feel like going through this process was much more helpful for me than just blindly following what they said I should do.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”