RC issues

northwood

RC issues

Postby northwood » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:34 pm

Is it just me, or has RC gotten more difficult, especially after pt 45?. I am missing more questions than ever, and taking more time to get through the passages. My scores went from -7 to -10 and sometimes worse ( today was -15 WTF). I have changed my annotation style, and circle main words, bracket definitions and people, and use shorthand to annotate the big idea, or structure on the side of the paragraphs. the passage that constantly trips me up is the comparative authors passage. Even though this passage is more straightforward structurally, i take more time to answer the questions, and end up missing more questions than on other passages. ( On test day, i will do this passage last, if I have time, but I want to learn how to defeat this passage).

What are some strategies that people who score well on RC utilize? lately, in order to keep myself motivated I have to do a couple of games after doing a timed RC section. I am thinking about stopping doing timed tests for a bit, and drill passages, but since there are not as many dual author passages, I want to be able to simulate doing the passage under timed conditions and with the proper amount of mental fatigue ( I am worried that I will get RC as my 5th section on test day). I am even considering buying hte RC Bible, but I have heard that this isnt as good as the LRB and LGB.

thanks for all of your help.

3|ink

Re: RC issues

Postby 3|ink » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:04 am

RC is way harder. I hypothesize that RC is harder because it is the least learnable off the sections. With all of the material available today, the LSAT has to keep the test competitive for those who make full use of the available material.

However, I think one can still master RC if you take the time.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:35 am

For me, marking up the passage with notes often produced more harm than good. Any benefit I gained by being able to quickly refer back to a section was more than offset by how badly the notations interrupted my focus.

Also, have you worked through the Superprep already? If not then this should be your top priority as the explanations are invaluable for understanding the test maker's mindset.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:18 pm

attempted another RC section timed. -9. My scores are all over the place on this section. Seriously starting to consider getting the RC bible. I am also considering doing a regular 5 section prep test this weekend, and making a 5 section RC only test ( and suppliment 4 easy games to do inbetween section 3 and 4 as a reward- and thus make a 6 section test) and just hammer out my strategy) and do this one day this week as well.

Any thoughts? should i get the bible, or would epic drilling for a while ( avoiding RC burnout along the way) help me more?

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:31 pm

northwood wrote:attempted another RC section timed. -9. My scores are all over the place on this section. Seriously starting to consider getting the RC bible. I am also considering doing a regular 5 section prep test this weekend, and making a 5 section RC only test ( and suppliment 4 easy games to do inbetween section 3 and 4 as a reward- and thus make a 6 section test) and just hammer out my strategy) and do this one day this week as well.

Any thoughts? should i get the bible, or would epic drilling for a while ( avoiding RC burnout along the way) help me more?

IMO, as someone who struggle on RC, the RCB isn't very good.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:25 pm

just did 2 sections of RC timed. First one was from PT 41. Second was from PT 30.
PT 41 - 10
PT 30-7
Instead of gunning for 4 passages, I only allowed myself to read 3 passages and answer the questions. I found that I was giving myself a lot more time to double check the passage and answer the questions. On PT 41, order of attack was 1, 4, 3. Still went waay to fast ( had 8 minutes left when i was done with the 3rd passage- went on to the 4th just to see.)
On PT. 30, i set the timer and made myself forget all about it. Went through the passags in the following order, 1, 2, 4,3. Able to answer all questions correctly on the first and 2nd passage. Passage 4, i made some stupid mistakes, and didnt go back as much as possible ( I was able to narrow down the answer choices to 2 possinble responses, but only checked one of them, and either circled it, or crossed it off and circled the other response)

I found that by not focusing on the timing, and instead focusing on the passage really helped. I know that historically the older pts have easier RC sections than 45-60, but I am trying to get a solid plan of attack and prove to myself that I can get a -7 or lower consistently. I will make sure to slow down and double check and read each answer carefully from here on out.

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:27 am

The Gentleman wrote:For me, marking up the passage with notes often produced more harm than good. Any benefit I gained by being able to quickly refer back to a section was more than offset by how badly the notations interrupted my focus.

Also, have you worked through the Superprep already? If not then this should be your top priority as the explanations are invaluable for understanding the test maker's mindset.

This is true in my opinion. If a person is really struggling with RC then its probably because they're having trouble reading and understanding the passage. Note taking and underlining and all that can be even more of a distraction from the goal, which is to understand the passage. I think the whole underlining and taking notes advice is good if youre a good reader and your problem is that your struggling with time, not if you just simply suck on RC.

aevea

Postby aevea » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:34 am

The Gentleman wrote:...Also, have you worked through the Superprep already? If not then this should be your top priority as the explanations are invaluable for understanding the test maker's mindset.

Going through the SuperPrep explanations is also excellent advice for general reading comp.

For comparative passages, the questions aren't necessarily harder but they are different. You need to develop somewhat different methods to answer them efficiently. Most of the test prep companies have been slow to address the difference, but LSAC has done a decent job of spelling it out in the Official Handbook. Unlike SuperPrep, The handbook doesn't have any tests but the explanations of the question types are pretty useful if you can survive the LSACese.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”