When should I write the diagnostic? and schedules=overkill?

spruce_moose

When should I write the diagnostic? and schedules=overkill?

Postby spruce_moose » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:33 pm

So I'm planning to start studying for the June LSAT in January since I've been hearing that it's a test where studying really pays off, and I'm going to use some of the tips or schedule here: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2010/05/5- ... -plan.html as that was recommended to me.

Now I'm wondering if I should write the diagnostic test now just to see where I stand and so that I can buy a couple of the powerscore bibles just to brush through. Should I bother with that or is the typical course of action just to write the diagnostic 3-5 months before the actual test and then just go from there so I can remember what weaknesses and strengths to work on. And tbh, a 5/6 month schedule really does seem overkill...especially since from my own experience and that of others I've found that it's the last few weeks/days before a big exam where one really starts to "learn" the needed material.

Knock

Re: When should I write the diagnostic? and schedules=overkill?

Postby Knock » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:35 pm

spruce_moose wrote:So I'm planning to start studying for the June LSAT in January since I've been hearing that it's a where studying really pays off, and I'm going to use some of the tips or schedule here: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2010/05/5- ... -plan.html as that was recommended to me.

Now I'm wondering if I should write the diagnostic test now just to see where I stand and so that I can buy a couple of the powerscore bibles just to brush through. Should I bother with that or is the typical course of action just to write the diagnostic 3-5 months before the actual test and then just go from there so I can remember what weaknesses and strengths to work on. And tbh, a 5/6 month schedule really does seem overkill...especially since from my own experience and that of others I've found that it's the last few weeks/days before a big exam where one really starts to "learn" the needed material.

That's a good schedule, and do your diagnostic after you've completed both the LG and LR Bibles from Powerscore, cover to cover.

And forget most things you've learned about big tests, the LSAT is a different beast FYI.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:39 pm

Knockglock wrote:
spruce_moose wrote:So I'm planning to start studying for the June LSAT in January since I've been hearing that it's a where studying really pays off, and I'm going to use some of the tips or schedule here: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2010/05/5- ... -plan.html as that was recommended to me.

That's a good schedule, and do your diagnostic after you've completed both the LG and LR Bibles from Powerscore, cover to cover.

And forget most things you've learned about big tests, the LSAT is a different beast FYI.

This. Never have I taken a test where you study so much but yet learn so little knowledge. Maybe except for philosophy.

But definitely never with so much time restraints.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:37 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

This. Never have I taken a test where you study so much but yet learn so little knowledge. Maybe except for philosophy.

Au contraire, my friend... don't you now know that potatoes have solanine in them? That raisins have more iron per calorie than grapes? That dinosaurs could have been wiped out by a volcanic explosion that left more irradium in the rocks than a meteor would? That Native Americans often encounter legal issues due to their lack of written documentation? That you should always call your friends by the first letter of their name? That there are countries called X and Y?

It's just... a wealth of knowledge.

But after that little diatribe, yes, I would NOT assume you'd learn everything in the week before the test. It's a long slow slog, my friend.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:38 am

eit wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

Au contraire, my friend... don't you now know that potatoes have solanine in them? That raisins have more iron per calorie than grapes? That dinosaurs could have been wiped out by a volcanic explosion that left more irradium in the rocks than a meteor would? That Native Americans often encounter legal issues due to their lack of written documentation? That you should always call your friends by the first letter of their name? That there are countries called X and Y?

It's just... a wealth of knowledge.

But after that little diatribe, yes, I would NOT assume you'd learn everything in the week before the test. It's a long slow slog, my friend.

:lol:. Frickin solanine.......:P.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”