RC struggles

Edmonds4

RC struggles

Postby Edmonds4 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:22 pm

Yesterday, I took my 3rd fully timed PT (which was PT 49) and scored a 163. I got -3 on each LR section and -3 on the LG section. I feel good about those sections and I'm confident they will keep improving. My strategy for those sections is now simply trying to pay attention to detail, and it's working so far. Also, for these sections, timing is a not an issue at all.

HOWEVER, I got -10 on the RC section, which was dissapointing but not a fluke. On my 3 PTs so far, I've score -9, -7, and of course -10 on the respective RC sections (all in the late 40's). So, I feel that there is an obvious flaw in my approach, and I need help finding some sort of strategy as I approach this section. Right now, I have no approach at all except for trying to power my way through it. I'm basically just reading the passages (near 3 min/per) and going with my gut on the answers. I am intimidated, but only because I have good reason to be (according to my scores so far).

Slowing down is not an option, but do you think it would be helpful to pick up the pace, read for structure and main point only and then reference back for detail questions? Im just lost, and for those of you who are strong on RC, what is your general approach? What is your train on thought before you start a RC section??

am060459

Re: RC struggles

Postby am060459 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:37 pm

Edmonds4 wrote:I'm basically just reading the passages (near 3 min/per) and going with my gut on the answers.

it would be helpful to pick up the pace, read for structure and main point only and then reference back for detail questions.

Edmonds4

Postby Edmonds4 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:25 pm

I don't feel as though you have added very much to my thread.

J/K, I DO appreciate the confirmation.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:36 pm

pick up the pace, read for structure and main point only and then reference back for detail questions

I frequently ace RC and this is my approach.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:47 pm

Hmm, I am in the same boat with RC. If I am entertained by some of the passages I can go -2 for the section. So, can you guys go into more detail about your success with this method? By structure do you mean like: paragraph 1- Background info and intro, paragraph 2 critic against, and so on? My problem is I am too slow at reading everything trying to absorb it. Should I simply read rather quickly and jot down the main point, opinions, and a brief word or so on the paragraph structure?

Curry

Postby Curry » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:48 pm

I do the opposite.

I read slowly and figure out how ever sentence connects. Then, when I go to the questions, 4/5 of them I can finish in less than 30 seconds because I know what the answer is before looking at the answer choices. The last couple require some thinking, but generally its easy to go back. I normally finish with 2-3 minutes to spare.

Take say 4-5 minutes reading. See if that helps.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:50 pm

curryinaninstant wrote:I do the opposite.

I read slowly and figure out how ever sentence connects. Then, when I go to the questions, 4/5 of them I can finish in less than 30 seconds because I know what the answer is before looking at the answer choices. The last couple require some thinking, but generally its easy to go back. I normally finish with 2-3 minutes to spare.

This is what I am doing, and it only works for me some of the time. I find myself wasting the time on reading the passage, then ultimately wasting more time on the questions and going back to the passage yet again. Argh! I am getting so frustrated.

Edmonds4

Postby Edmonds4 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:07 pm

Do you use this approach for the science passages also? Because even if I read very slowly on those, I dont think I would be able to retain enough info to do well on those w/out constantly referencing the passage (since they are so technical)??

Curry

Postby Curry » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:10 pm

Edmonds4 wrote:

Do you use this approach for the science passages also? Because even if I read very slowly on those, I dont think I would be able to retain enough info to do well on those w/out constantly referencing the passage (since they are so technical)??

Yes i do. Try doing this. After every two sentences, SUMMARIZE in your own words what they said. Move on from there.

Edmonds4

Postby Edmonds4 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:13 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
pick up the pace, read for structure and main point only and then reference back for detail questions

My next PT (Thursday probably) I am going to try this approach. About how long do you normally spend reading each passage?? Also, do you find that approach especially beneficial for science passages? I just BOMBED the maize passage yesterday.

Edmonds4

Postby Edmonds4 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:22 pm

curryinaninstant wrote:
Edmonds4 wrote:

Yes i do. Try doing this. After every two sentences, SUMMARIZE in your own words what they said. Move on from there.
Well, I am definitely open to giving this strategy a try, but I just cant imagine that I would be able to finish the section that way. Does reading so thoroughly really allow you to answer the questions quick enough to make up for that time? Do you have any problem finishing the sections?

winnatech

Postby winnatech » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:27 pm

Adjudicator wrote:

How exactly do you proceed with that? Do you read quickly, noting the structure (ex: para 1 is A's view, para 2 is B's view) only, not noting concretely the specific information, and then refer back later when you get to the questions? Or do you read for the structure as well as the information presented in the paragraphs (although this means less time for questions)? Thanks.

Sh@keNb@ke

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:07 pm

I second this approach. I've been battling RC for a while and this method has paid dividends. I used to read the passage in 3 minutes, but found myself failing to comprehend what I read. Now after a through read, my comprehension abilities have greatly increased and I can answer the more general questions very quickly. Only on the really detailed questions, such as the line citation ones, do I have to go back and re-read. Good luck!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”