HELP!! PT 1-40 vs. PT 41-57

Blindc1rca

HELP!! PT 1-40 vs. PT 41-57

Postby Blindc1rca » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:38 pm

Bat shit is streaming down my wall.

There's a lot of flapping and screeching coming from my rafters,

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Blindc1rca on Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

northwood

Re: HELP!! PT 1-40 vs. PT 41-57

Postby northwood » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:04 pm

keep aiming for the 170's. LR and RC in the newer tests(40's and higher) are more difficult than in the older ones ( 3o's and below). I would itemize what problem types you are constatnly getting wrong, and hone your studying in on those sections. It is very common for someone to score lower once they started studying, especially someone starting out so high. Keep plugging away, and you will get better. Remember, a score of 165 is better than about 90% of all test takers ( you are allready at the top of the leaderboard)

Blindc1rca

Postby Blindc1rca » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:08 pm

I appreciate the advice northwood. I'm really discouraged by / worried about this drop in scores.

Going over these newer PT's I've noticed that in the LR sections, questions that say:
"Each of the following, if true, strengthens the argument EXCEPT..."

oftentimes have several answers that DO NOT strengthen the argument, they just simply fail to weaken it since they offer out of scope information. I feel like in such cases the wording of the question is deceitful because various answers fail to strengthen the argument. If these questions were worded as "which of the following WEAKENS the argument" their answers would be more true to the question (e.g. PT49 S2 Q4).

Obviously I'm being a crybaby here, but I'm just saying I didn't see this kind of ambiguity in the questions themselves on the older tests.

So since I have yet to crack open the LR bible, my plan is to hit that hard this week, interspersed with some logic games here and there (I've found that 4-5 of the 6 LG Q's that I'm now missing are simply a result of rushing to finish in 35min, while only 1-2 are actual errors). RC...eh I'm just gonna read up on jurisprudence and common law (seem to appear relatively frequently hahaha) and hope that my test doesn't have a passage about molecular biology. The vast majority of the questions I miss on RC are on the last passage as a result of rushing.

I could really use some feedback on this plan for LR/LG, as well as any tips you guys have on RC timing. Words of encouragement/personal anecdotes that will make me believe I actually have a shot at that 170 are more than welcome haha.

Thanks again.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:27 pm

Blindc1rca wrote:Going over these newer PT's I've noticed that in the LR sections, questions that say:
"Each of the following, if true, strengthens the argument EXCEPT..."

oftentimes have several answers that DO NOT strengthen the argument, they just simply fail to weaken it since they offer out of scope information.

I don't think that's actually possible. They would have to reword the question then. Lots of times strengtheners are really, really tough to recognize.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”