Any Flaw recommendations?

WonkyPanda

Any Flaw recommendations?

Postby WonkyPanda » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:04 pm

Out of all the LR types, Flaw has to be my weakest. On my last PT I got 3/6 on the flaws which is usually around what I normally would get on them. Thing is, I just can't quite put my finger on what is causing me so much issue. Has anyone gotten over a personal 'flaw' hurdle and want to chime in on what aided them?

northwood

Re: Any Flaw recommendations?

Postby northwood » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:19 pm

I still miss some flaw questions ( 2-3), but have noticed a great improvement ( used to miss all of them) after making flashcards of each individual flaw type and drilling them for a while.

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:11 pm

northwood wrote:I still miss some flaw questions ( 2-3), but have noticed a great improvement ( used to miss all of them) after making flashcards of each individual flaw type and drilling them for a while.

I may actually try that for flaw. The problem is some of them seem so irrelevant that they barely come up on the test *cough emotional plea*; however, through drilling and seeing where I've gone wrong can definitely give an inclination towards which flaws are more common. Thanks!

My biggest problem is when I review a test, I look at the answers and think, "well, i only missed this because I am an idiot and missed a word here or there." It's definitely a lot harder to see where you go wrong when you're in the 160s because from there on out it's your own faults and habits that are dragging you down.

amkid100

Postby amkid100 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:33 pm

flaw is probably my strongest lr type. i think that more so than the other types, it really helps to prephrase the answer. i usually don't look at the choices until i've picked out the flaw. something in the argument HAS to be wrong and if you look hard enough you should find an error in logic.

mountaintime

Postby mountaintime » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:01 am

Read the LRB section on Flaw questions, and memorize the types of flaws. Many people (myself included) find Flaw to be one of the easiest question types.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:22 am

1. Find conclusion in the premise.
2. Find the evidence for that conclusion, or what the conclusion is based on.
3. Look for scope shift/overgeneralization/some other inconsistency between the evidence and the conclusion.

Look for flaw between evidence and conclusion - it will be there and only there. You should be able to find it quite easily in all but the most difficult questions, where that flaw is very subtel or evidence is complex.

The different types of flaws from the top of my head:

Scope shift
Disregarding other options or possibilities
Overgeneralization
Percentage vs. absolute value

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:22 am

Memorize or better yet, learn and understand the concept behind each flaw type.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”