Preptest 29 Section 1 Question #22

FlanAl

Preptest 29 Section 1 Question #22

Postby FlanAl » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:46 pm

I've showed this to four other people (they were not LSAT veterans) and we've all picked C but the book says that D is the correct answer. Anyone really get why D is better than C?

Thanks for the help!

Hannibal

Re: Preptest 29 Section 1 Question #22

Postby Hannibal » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:08 pm

Looking at my previous test, apparently I picked C too. Hah.

I had to read D four times for it to make sense.

The fear is well founded only if there is real danger. Answer D says the government only takes action if there is real danger. The government took action.

C, in retrospect, didn't say that financial liability is what keeps the reactors safe. Also, the conclusion isn't about the legislation so much as the danger. This is a justification question, not a strengthen question.

hijodehombre

Postby hijodehombre » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:36 pm

I fell for C, too. A certain company's explanation hinges on the use of the word only.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:31 pm

Thanks guys! its starting to make more sense now.

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:03 am

This was my take,

Conclusion: The public’s fear is well founded.

Reasoning: The government makes two contradictory claims, both of which cannot be true. Further, the decision of the government to limit the nuclear industry’s financial liability suggests that nuclear accidents are a possibility. We know this because the only threat to the nuclear industry’s financial security is a serious accident.

Flaw: The government makes two contradictory claims but we do not know which one is true and which one is false. The argument takes the fact that the government took action to limit the nuclear industry’s financial liability as evidence that the government’s claim that nuclear power plants are completely safe is false. In other words, the editorial presumes that actions speak louder than words.

Answers:
(A) The government claims that nuclear facilities are safe.
(B) The government doesn’t have direct control over nuclear accidents.
(C) We are not concerned with the best interest of the public.
(D) If true, this would help the editorialist’s presumption that actions speak louder than words.
(E) We are not concerned with the justification of actions.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”