Logic Games will be the death of me...

User avatar
RedRaider
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:07 pm

Logic Games will be the death of me...

Postby RedRaider » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:18 pm

I'm in need of some serious help.. I have the LSAT in October and I cannot get motivated for the test. I don't really have any problems with reading comprehension or reasoning, but logic games are like kryptonite to me. I've tried studying them and obeying all of the rules the kaplan books suggests, but I still fail. Every time I feel somewhat confident about an answer it's still wrong! I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, but I'm beginning to panic because my chances of admission anywhere depends on my LSAT score. I look at the games and my brain shuts down. Any advice/suggestions? Has anyone else been in this situation?

313D313
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:52 pm

Re: Logic Games will be the death of me...

Postby 313D313 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:22 pm

the general consensus on TLS is that the powerscore logic games bible is the best for lg. Try it.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12331
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Logic Games will be the death of me...

Postby gdane » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:24 pm

Theres really nothing that makes them too hard. They're complicated, but they are solvable.

use the logic games bible. It does a great job of explaining things to you and it organizes things very well.

You'll be ok.

Good luck!

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Logic Games will be the death of me...

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:30 pm

I have to echo the other comments - Get the LG Bible. It really IS that great... in fact, I dare say, it almost is kind of fun when you get the hang of the games and can solve even the most tricky of them. It ends up being pretty entertaining, and I find myself sneaking in a logic game here and there in between studying for classes (yeah, I'm a masochist, 2 summer classes in each session...)

The general consensus though is that LSAC is trying to, or starting to, or has put in, questions onto the LSAT that defy typical classification and will resist rote diagramming like PowerScore teaches us. I am really hoping that isn't the case for October!

But get the Bible, and a handful of PrepTests. You have plenty of time before October if you buckle down now and start practicing.

User avatar
The Gentleman
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Logic Games will be the death of me...

Postby The Gentleman » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:18 pm

RedRaider wrote:I don't really have any problems with reading comprehension or reasoning, but logic games are like kryptonite to me


The Powerscore bible is a fantastic resource, but it alone is not sufficient for maximizing your potential on the games section. Improvement comes only through repetition. Get in the habit of doing at least one section of games per day.

If you feel like you need a fresh take on the games, by all means pick up the Powerscore book, but there's really no substitute for practice.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12331
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Logic Games will be the death of me...

Postby gdane » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:34 pm

The Gentleman wrote:
RedRaider wrote:I don't really have any problems with reading comprehension or reasoning, but logic games are like kryptonite to me


The Powerscore bible is a fantastic resource, but it alone is not sufficient for maximizing your potential on the games section. Improvement comes only through repetition. Get in the habit of doing at least one section of games per day.

If you feel like you need a fresh take on the games, by all means pick up the Powerscore book, but there's really no substitute for practice.


Not great advice at all. If he doesnt know how to do the games, how is doing one a day going to help him? He needs to get the concepts down first. Understand what linear games are, understand conditional statements and contrapositives, understand how to make deductions and inferences, etc etc. These are all topics that are covered in the logic games bible that the poster would benefit from knowing.

I'll agree that using the bible alone is not sufficient, I do believe it is necessary. It has to be done in conjunction with games. The best thing to do is to go through the bible and then work through the corresponding logic games from previous LSAT's.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Logic Games will be the death of me...

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:37 pm

gdane5 wrote:
The Gentleman wrote:
RedRaider wrote:I don't really have any problems with reading comprehension or reasoning, but logic games are like kryptonite to me


The Powerscore bible is a fantastic resource, but it alone is not sufficient for maximizing your potential on the games section. Improvement comes only through repetition. Get in the habit of doing at least one section of games per day.

If you feel like you need a fresh take on the games, by all means pick up the Powerscore book, but there's really no substitute for practice.


Not great advice at all. If he doesnt know how to do the games, how is doing one a day going to help him? He needs to get the concepts down first. Understand what linear games are, understand conditional statements and contrapositives, understand how to make deductions and inferences, etc etc. These are all topics that are covered in the logic games bible that the poster would benefit from knowing.

I'll agree that using the bible alone is not sufficient, I do believe it is necessary. It has to be done in conjunction with games. The best thing to do is to go through the bible and then work through the corresponding logic games from previous LSAT's.


True, but from personal experience, after going through the entire LG bible, I was still horrible at LG until maybe 8-10 sections later when I learned to incorporate the concepts from the bible into a more personal way that was more fit for me.

User avatar
StrictlyLiable
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:34 pm

Re: Logic Games will be the death of me...

Postby StrictlyLiable » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:39 pm

I personally found the Kaplan LB book to be more helpful than the Powerscore. Powerscore is better for everything else though IMO.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Logic Games will be the death of me...

Postby 3|ink » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:45 pm

I think the fastest way to learn how to do games is to take a section timed and then redo those games that gave you the most trouble. Find out what you should have done to speed through the games quickly. The other day, I had this grouping game that gave me a hard time. I did the game a second time around and realized that it would have been so much easier had I taken the time to draw a complete set-up.

User avatar
The Gentleman
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Logic Games will be the death of me...

Postby The Gentleman » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:36 pm

The Gentleman wrote:The Gentleman wrote:
RedRaider wrote:
I don't really have any problems with reading comprehension or reasoning, but logic games are like kryptonite to me


The Powerscore bible is a fantastic resource, but it alone is not sufficient for maximizing your potential on the games section. Improvement comes only through repetition. Get in the habit of doing at least one section of games per day.

If you feel like you need a fresh take on the games, by all means pick up the Powerscore book, but there's really no substitute for practice.


Not great advice at all. If he doesnt know how to do the games, how is doing one a day going to help him? He needs to get the concepts down first. Understand what linear games are, understand conditional statements and contrapositives, understand how to make deductions and inferences, etc etc. These are all topics that are covered in the logic games bible that the poster would benefit from knowing.

I'll agree that using the bible alone is not sufficient, I do believe it is necessary. It has to be done in conjunction with games. The best thing to do is to go through the bible and then work through the corresponding logic games from previous LSAT's.


To clarify, the posts before me made little or no mention of the importance of repetition. I wouldn't want to give the OP the impression that the LG Bible alone will magically produce success. Thus my advice. It's a great resource, but the most substantial improvement comes via practice. :lol:

PS: Quote Fail by me

utopian_grrl
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:48 pm

Re: Logic Games will be the death of me...

Postby utopian_grrl » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:19 pm

I have to agree with both the LG Bible and repetition suggestions.

The LG Bible does a great job of listing the types of games and ways of organizing the rules in a way that's easy to understand and translate to specific questions. Before reading the book, I was confused on how to begin certain games and became frustrated. Now I feel like I can complete any game given enough time. The LG Bibles can help you with the fundamentals of game setup and deduction. Practice will make you more efficient once you know what to look for and how to set up.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12331
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Logic Games will be the death of me...

Postby gdane » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:20 pm

utopian_grrl wrote:I have to agree with both the LG Bible and repetition suggestions.

The LG Bible does a great job of listing the types of games and ways of organizing the rules in a way that's easy to understand and translate to specific questions. Before reading the book, I was confused on how to begin certain games and became frustrated. Now I feel like I can complete any game given enough time. The LG Bibles can help you with the fundamentals of game setup and deduction. Practice will make you more efficient once you know what to look for and how to set up.


This is what I was trying to say. You have to combine the logic games bible with practice and repetition. I just wanted to stress that simply doing games when you dont know what the hell youre doing is ineffective.

User avatar
joemoviebuff
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:51 am

Re: Logic Games will be the death of me...

Postby joemoviebuff » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:31 pm

RedRaider wrote:I'm in need of some serious help.. I have the LSAT in October and I cannot get motivated for the test. I don't really have any problems with reading comprehension or reasoning, but logic games are like kryptonite to me. I've tried studying them and obeying all of the rules the kaplan books suggests, but I still fail. Every time I feel somewhat confident about an answer it's still wrong! I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, but I'm beginning to panic because my chances of admission anywhere depends on my LSAT score. I look at the games and my brain shuts down. Any advice/suggestions? Has anyone else been in this situation?


Just want to +1 to all the people who suggested the Bible and repetition. As I'm sure was the case with many of these people, games were my worst section by far when I started. After the Bible and repetition, it became my best section and the one I looked forward to doing the most. Hang in there buddy!

User avatar
The Gentleman
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Logic Games will be the death of me...

Postby The Gentleman » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:33 pm

gdane5 wrote:This is what I was trying to say. You have to combine the logic games bible with practice and repetition. I just wanted to stress that simply doing games when you dont know what the hell youre doing is ineffective.


Agreed good sir :)

User avatar
sayruss11
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: Logic Games will be the death of me...

Postby sayruss11 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:22 pm

The Atlas LG book is really good too. I loved the bible but the atlas one helped as well

User avatar
MrAdams
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Logic Games will be the death of me...

Postby MrAdams » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:20 pm

I am in the same boat op. I study law already so I don't have too much of a problem with any section other than LG. I started revision the other day for LG and the Powerscore Bible really is very good. The only thing I can say already from experience is that the bible will teach you the rules to get all of the right answers but what it wont give you - AT ALL - is the speed required to get through all of the questions in time. From the posters here however it seems that practice and revision of the games you have played will give you that speed. However, from my experience already, it certainly seems like A LOT of practice and revision is what it takes to get games under 8:45...

... so suck it up and get cracking. They are pretty fun anyway.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 180orDie, Baidu [Spider], blackmamba8, Instrumental and 6 guests