Am I screwed?

millanda

Am I screwed?

Postby millanda » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:20 pm

I've been studying for about a month and a half so far, and I've read the Powerscore bibles for LR and LG. I just did my first two LR sections, getting -3 on one and -7 on the other. (I realized that I missed almost all the questions at the end of that second try, so I think worrying about the time is hurting my score.) I'm fairly confident I can increase my LR score, but I don't feel confident about LG. I can rarely finish them on time, and when I do, it's never with all the correct answers. I think this may be because I started out always worrying about finishing on time, and I could have possibly overlooked just gaining the skills and then working on speed. I'm taking the test in October. Do you think I can make a significant change in this amount of time?

Sh@keNb@ke

Re: Am I screwed?

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:24 pm

Yes. Keep working.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:52 pm

You have time.
Don't worry about how much time until Oct and don't worry about the timed games (for now).
Don't read the LG bible, DO IT! Start by honing the linear games and then see if you get the advanced. Same with grouping.
Know how to write out rules in short form - rules are worded precisely and at times, confusingly so be careful.
Don't refer to the written rules -- that's what your short form is for.
- Make templates
- Write not rules
- Think "if they tell me ___ " then what do i know? INFERENCES!

Once you can answer games correctly in 10-12 minutes, then move on to getting the time down closer to 9 mins

Good luck.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:59 pm

JJDancer wrote:You have time.
Don't worry about how much time until Oct and don't worry about the timed games (for now).
Don't read the LG bible, DO IT! Start by honing the linear games and then see if you get the advanced. Same with grouping.
Know how to write out rules in short form - rules are worded precisely and at times, confusingly so be careful.
- Make templates
- Write not rules

Once you can answer games correctly in 10-12 minutes, then move on to getting the time down closer to 9 mins

Good luck.

I think most people that get "good" at LGs can complete the two easy games on a PT in 10 minutes, and have 12 minutes each for the tough games. If you can complete the easy games in 5 minutes and can grasp the fundamentals of LG, you're in very good shape. I feel when I struggle on the "easy" games of the section and waste 8-9 minutes each on them, my LG score goes to hell because I can't calmly and carefully approach the tough games that absolutely cannot be rushed.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:08 pm

Anaconda wrote:
- Make templates
- Write not rules

Good luck.

I think most people that get "good" at LGs can complete the two easy games on a PT in 10 minutes, and have 12 minutes each for the tough games. If you can complete the easy games in 5 minutes and can grasp the fundamentals of LG, you're in very good shape. I feel when I struggle on the "easy" games of the section and waste 8-9 minutes each on them, my LG score goes to hell because I can't calmly and carefully approach the tough games that absolutely cannot be rushed.

I have to say that my LG sections don't pan out the same way. My fastest games can be done in 6 minutes but there is no guarantee that I will finish even one game in 6 minutes. Usually it takes me 7-9 mins per game, with some games taking 10-11 minutes. I usually (80%) finish the section on time and miss 1 or 2.
But everyone is different!

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:15 am

JJDancer wrote:
Anaconda wrote:
- Make templates
- Write not rules

Good luck.

I have to say that my LG sections don't pan out the same way. My fastest games can be done in 6 minutes but there is no guarantee that I will finish even one game in 6 minutes. Usually it takes me 7-9 mins per game, with some games taking 10-11 minutes. I usually (80%) finish the section on time and miss 1 or 2.
But everyone is different!

It's funny because I never finish games in under 5 minutes when drilling or doing them individually, but on actual PTs it's different maybe because checking over all answer choices isn't as common and there's a big rush to complete everything on time (I also make a lot more silly mistakes). Once you hit the 100% attempt rate, you'll probably start doing some of those basic linear and sequencing games (and even some easy grouping games) in under 5 minutes, especially if you trust your gut and don't second guess yourself on some of the no so obvious answers on the easier games.

Note that this sub-5 minute phenomenon really only happens when there are 2 difficult games and 2 easy games - at least for me. Otherwise the time spent on each game is fairly consistent and time can be an issue on the hardest games of the section!

millanda

Postby millanda » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:52 am

Thank you all for the encouragement. I can't help but freak out a little when I read about how logic games tend to be the easiest for most people, but I'll definitely go back over them and do what has been suggested. I'll also keep an eye out for if I can get the easy games down to around 6 minutes to free up some time for the harder games; I think that'll really help.

Thanks again!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”