randomly low PT score

unattended bag

randomly low PT score

Postby unattended bag » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:31 pm

I've been scoring in the mid to high 160s on most of the practice tests in the 20s and early 30s (167 average). Today in my powerscore class, we took PT 54 and I scored a 160. -4 RC, -1 LG, and -17 LR!!!! I usually miss about 5 LR questions per section, but this time I was just off.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? Should I brush it off as a bad day, or should this be a serious concern?

Knock

Re: randomly low PT score

Postby Knock » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:37 pm

unattended bag wrote:I've been scoring in the mid to high 160s on most of the practice tests in the 20s and early 30s (167 average). Today in my powerscore class, we took PT 54 and I scored a 160. -4 RC, -1 LG, and -17 LR!!!! I usually miss about 5 LR questions per section, but this time I was just off.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? Should I brush it off as a bad day, or should this be a serious concern?

Brush it off as a bad day. Don't let it affect you mentally, that could be cause for serious concern. Maybe take a day or two off and relax, have some fun. It happens to everyone, and is normal.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:39 pm

unattended bag wrote:I've been scoring in the mid to high 160s on most of the practice tests in the 20s and early 30s (167 average). Today in my powerscore class, we took PT 54 and I scored a 160. -4 RC, -1 LG, and -17 LR!!!! I usually miss about 5 LR questions per section, but this time I was just off.

most likely a bad day. However if you take 2 - 3 more PTs from the 50s and still bordering around 160, then you could take a look at why at that time. General knowledge on here suggests that the newer PTs are a little different from the old ones so maybe that threw you off a little bit.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:05 pm

Have you already reviewed the test? If not, maybe go through it again in ac ouple days and see how you do on the LRs then, sometimes it's really just a lack of focus/concentration/some vital thing missing when you take that test. All you can do is hope/try to avoid having that happen on the real thing, lol.
\

bigben

Postby bigben » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:12 pm

This is probably what you'll do on test day.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:14 pm

bigben wrote:This is probably what you'll do on test day.

What are you basing this on? Still over 5 weeks to go.

InsertCleverName

Postby InsertCleverName » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:02 am

LLB2JD wrote:

most likely a bad day. However if you take 2 - 3 more PTs from the 50s and still bordering around 160, then you could take a look at why at that time. General knowledge on here suggests that the newer PTs are a little different from the old ones so maybe that threw you off a little bit.

What do you mean the new ones are different (besides the comparative RC and less obnoxious games)? And what constitutes "new"?

It's most likely an outlier. I did that back in June. Was averaging around the mid-160s and knocked off a 156 or so. Went back to my average with the next test. Just did it again tonight. Last two PTs were 170s and my first two over my goal. This one was 161.

I actually think it could be a good learning experience because it's possible the test may have been overloaded on question types that really trip you up and it'll give you a chance to fix a mistake or two.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:09 am

Bad day.

I was hitting 165-167 for maybe 4 tests when I suddenly hit a 160. I knew I did horrible on it even before I got the score back.

The next test I was back up to a 167. Few tests after I even hit a 171, and the test after that I even hit a 174.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:14 am

LLB2JD wrote:
bigben wrote:This is probably what you'll do on test day.

What are you basing this on? Still over 5 weeks to go.

Obvious troll is obvious.

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:16 am

It happens to all of us. Many different factors can contribute to a low PT score and the critical thing is to review and understand why things went so sour. The second critical thing is DO NOT let it get to you! One of the most detrimental things to your LSAT studying is your own psyche.

greyblob

Postby greyblob » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:47 am

Thanks for this post! I just made one on the same topic. I'm very glad to know that I'm not the only one to do this. I've been scoring in your range as well, but scored a 159 on PT 31 yesterday, 10 points lower than what I should be scoring.

It better be an outlier...

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:24 pm

Kids, I'll also point out that almost all schools just take your highest LSAT and run with it, and you get three shots at the test, so there really isn't anything to worry about. If you're worried about an aberrant, low score, then it's an outlier, and it probably won't happen on test day. But even if it does, all you've gotta do is take it again in December, and unless you're aiming for HYSCN, you'll be fine.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”