Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

sknight323

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby sknight323 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:05 pm

JJDancer wrote:
sknight323 wrote:Having a little trouble understanding why the answer is E instead of C on pt 56, 2.20. Can someone clarify..thanks

I'm just looking at it and giving my impression. The stimulus says on tv/radio they entertain a broad audience and doing so is NEARLY ALWAYS incompatible with providing high-quality psychological help. So they should NEVER provide psychotherapy on tv.

C says : any chance that the therapy might be of less than high quality.
Isn't there usually "ANY" chance that it will be less than high quality? Like even if you go to their office..there is A CHANCE...so that is too extreme/not NEEDED to be ASSUMED to make the argument valid

You need to assume E: that Psychotherapists should never attempt to provide psychological help in a manner that makes it unlikely to be of high quality
(since they said it is NEARLY ALWAYS incompatible -- it is UNLIKELY to be high quality if its entertaining a broad audience, and similarly if it is high quality, its unlikely to be while they are on tv entertaining a broad audience).

Thanks, I was trying to find a distinction with those two words as I read it but couldn't under timed conditions. I also noticed how E specifically references psychotherapists, while C just says psychotherapy in general.

Last PT 56 today, got a 163...did awful on LR and LG, but killed RC as usual. My performance on LR was really bothering to me...the last 2 days I had done -3 and -5 which wasn't bad, but had -10 on this test. Nearly every question I missed was because of scope or misreading the stem. Disheartening. I did much better on the second LR section so before the test I think I am going to warm up with a game and some LR questions. Missed two RC questions and once again, one of them was because of a bubbling error.

ATR

Postby ATR » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:28 pm

Just finished PT 57:

LG: -4
LR: -4
LR: -3
RC: -2

Raw: 88
Scaled: 168

I feel pretty good about this test, especially considering the mistakes I made. A decent amount of them were due to laziness, which I felt as I was working (and, knowing this, can correct on test day). Examples of carelessness:

RC#12 - picked wrong answer because I keyed in on "emotional" instead of reading the next line
RC#22 - used a heuristic to eliminate answers instead of reading carefully
LR#22 (1st) - didn't trust my instincts
LR#19 (2nd) - narrowed it down to two choices, picked the one which I felt less conviction about

The fractal passage was fine with me - I've read a book on chaos theory so I understood Koch curves beforehand. The dinosaur passage did give me problems, though.

Still deciding whether or not to take PT 58 tonight.

Cromartie

Postby Cromartie » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:22 am

PT 59 is history.

RC (Exp) -0 From PT 4
LG -3 (10, 16 and 20) The disturbing trend continues. LG looks to be the wild card for me.
LR1 -0
LR2 -1 (Completely missed the QWERTY question, no. 21. %#$%^!)
RC -2 (16 and 20, Noguchi!!!)

95/177

Too tired to review tonight as I had a very intense day at work. PT 60 is my last shot at a 180 before the real thing. Good night TLSers.

Edit: Apparently, I've forgotten how to do basic math as well, in addition to my LG woes. Edited for accuracy.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:55 am

sarahlawg wrote:
minnbills wrote:I think attitude and sleep deprivation are getting me right now.

I don't know, I'm pretty down in the dumbs right now. Two weeks ago I broke the 170 barrier twice, then went 168, then 164, then 162 ugh...

I'm with you here. I feel like I'm in total regression... Took 59 on Saturday and got 169 - quite pleased. Took 60 on Monday, which I actually sat for in June, and got 165... took June 2007 on Tuesday and got 165. Just took frickin' June '95 with a 165 as well. Before 59, I'd gotten 171 on 58, 169 on 57, 171 on 56, 168 on 55.... I feel like my head is going to explode and I don't know if I should go into crazy mode studying or relax mode and go get a message...

Yeah I hear you, I'm going to do a few drills today but otherwise stay away from it. Friday I'll review one section each or LR LG and RC and then be done with it 'til saturday. I know that I'm well versed in the material, I think I just need to cool down and get some sleep- relaxation, as I've been advised to lol.

iamcutdacheck

Postby iamcutdacheck » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:56 pm

Last practice will be LSAT PT 59/Dec 2009 early Friday morning, otherwise a few sections today, maybe a LR section Saturday morning en route to the test site.

psychlaw

Postby psychlaw » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:22 pm

I recommend that all of those that have been studying hardcore the past week or so should take today completely off. Go see a movie or something and then take your last PT tomorrow under simulated conditions. I did that yesterday and my score jumped 7 points on PT 60 :)

psychlaw

Postby psychlaw » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:24 pm

Wait...I cant do math, Ok it only went up a few points. But still...

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:07 pm

psychlaw wrote:I recommend that all of those that have been studying hardcore the past week or so should take today completely off. Go see a movie or something and then take your last PT tomorrow under simulated conditions. I did that yesterday and my score jumped 7 points on PT 60 :)

So wouldn't it be better to do a PT today and see the movie tomorrow, in order for the real test score to be higher?

psychlaw

Postby psychlaw » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:14 pm

Maybe its just me, but I wouldnt feel right going into the test cold. If you take a test Friday then you can review it and make mental notes for Saturday and it will still be fresh.

ATR

Postby ATR » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:17 pm

psychlaw wrote:Maybe its just me, but I wouldnt feel right going into the test cold. If you take a test Friday then you can review it and make mental notes for Saturday and it will still be fresh.

That's kind of what I've been thinking lately as well.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:21 pm

I think I will just review incorrect answers on Friday.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:24 pm

psychlaw wrote:Maybe its just me, but I wouldnt feel right going into the test cold. If you take a test Friday then you can review it and make mental notes for Saturday and it will still be fresh.

I think that if the PT scores have been on a downward trend recently (as they have for me) it might be better to step away for a while. Then do some light review friday and saturday morning. I've been scoring quite low the past 4 PT's, and I think it's attributable to stress, overwork, angst, anger, sleep deprivation etc. I do remember that hte highest score I ever had (172) came right after a week's break with really no work studying going in. Not to say that I'm counting on that happening again.

aesis

Postby aesis » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:19 pm

The only 50s PT I have left is June 2007 and will be spreading it out between today and tomorrow. I already did the LG and RC (antsy for LG and rebounding from my PT 60 -5 RC performance). -2/-2 for those two today.

Somewhat disconcerting seeing as I've not -2'd an LG section in 15 PTs or so. But they were stupid mistakes and I rightly deserved them. With RC, I was satisfied.

Mental notes being:
- Read the rules carefully, particularly minimums and maximums per column (!), or having to use each variable once and a maximum of thrice.
- Take a moment to look for any inferences/deductions/scenarios before attacking the questions.
- Check your rules. BTW, check your rules.
- POE the first question fast, efficiently, and thoroughly.
- Have a sense of urgency but don't skim. Move efficiently and steadily.
- If it's a 5-question LG and it's hard, move on and come back.
- If it's could be true and you find an answer, check against rules, move on.
- If it's must be true, disqualify all other answer choices with the hypothetical, unless blatant, then move.
- Speed through easy games as fast as possible for the harder games.

I'm staying away from Cambridge Most Difficult since those things are confidence killers and I should have done them last month. Oh well. Other than that, maybe some Mass Effect 2 tomorrow, haven't bought the new DLC yet because of LSAT. So excited to have Liara back, kekeke.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:10 pm

took pt 60...and got a 162.

what murdered me were the LG + RC; for some reason i didn't know how to do the first game and ended up getting TEN wrong...my god. RC -8 made me want to poke my eye out as well.

ugh, if i didn't miss all 5 questions in that first game, i would have had a score that would satisfy me for the most part.

it's disturbing my worst scores are happening closer to the test, but i'm just going to have to review my mistakes and relax tomorrow.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:18 pm

I took PT51 today.

It was the first time that I took a PT feeling properly rested. I scored -2 and -1 on LRs, and a first ever -0 LG. -3 would have given me a 179.

My RC score was a -8, which drops the scaled score down to a 170.

That's pretty fucking devastating.

How do I fix such a terrible RC score in two days?

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:34 pm

dhrizek wrote:I took PT51 today.

It was the first time that I took a PT feeling properly rested. I scored -2 and -1 on LRs, and a first ever -0 LG. -3 would have given me a 179.

My RC score was a -8, which drops the scaled score down to a 170.

That's pretty fucking devastating.

How do I fix such a terrible RC score in two days?

How are you doing on time?

I've started looking over the more specific questions before I read the passage, that's helped me a bit. Also, maybe just slowing down could help as well? I think RC is much like LG in that you can vary in performance quite a bit from section to section, I would just pick a gameplan and stick with it.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:46 pm

Lasers wrote:took pt 60...and got a 162.

what murdered me were the LG + RC; for some reason i didn't know how to do the first game and ended up getting TEN wrong...my god. RC -8 made me want to poke my eye out as well.

ugh, if i didn't miss all 5 questions in that first game, i would have had a score that would satisfy me for the most part.

it's disturbing my worst scores are happening closer to the test, but i'm just going to have to review my mistakes and relax tomorrow.

omg...i just realized i copied a rule down wrong in the first game. no wonder i got every question wrong. :evil: :oops:

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:47 pm

I get bogged down in the humanities and social science passages, that's basically what it comes down to. I scored perfect in natural science and finished it in under 7 minutes. Law was the last passage and my two mistakes there were a misbubble and a rushed answer choice.

I think it makes sense to leave the other two until the end, seeing as how I scored a 3/7 in Social Science and 5/7 in Humanities, while taking 11 minutes and 9.5 minutes to complete them. If I hadn't rushed the law passage I would have at least salvaged those two points. But that's still a -6 in RC, and it is completely destroying my score.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:49 pm

Lasers wrote:

omg...i just realized i copied a rule down wrong in the first game. no wonder i got every question wrong. :evil: :oops:

Yeah I've started to double check my rules just to make sure. If I don't I invariably end up getting one wrong and bombing that game.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:13 pm

minnbills wrote:
Lasers wrote:

Yeah I've started to double check my rules just to make sure. If I don't I invariably end up getting one wrong and bombing that game.

yeah, it's good advice. i'm gonna try and remember to do it each game because even though it's rare that it happens, when it happens it ruins everything. good for me to learn this lesson before the actual test!

Lokomani

Postby Lokomani » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:16 pm

Anyone willing to send me PT 58, 59 or 60? Looks like I ran out of tests early, need that one last fix to hold me over till game day :D . PM if so.

Cheers

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:01 pm

After doing PT 59's LG this morning, I went ahead and did the rest of the PT in three successive sections. Not a real PT exactly, but I'll count it nevertheless:

LG: -1; LR1: -3; LR2: -0; RC -4

Rats! I had something like a 179 going into the RC. I didn't find it difficult, but I made two dumb mistakes in the Noguchi section because in one question, I thought "negative" meant "positive" and in another, I thought "latter" meant "later". Really dumb. But actually an enjoyable RC nevertheless. Is it weird that I find the passages very informative and somewhat entertaining?

At least my LR bomb on PT 60 yesterday seems to have been a case of LSAT overwork. I kept my mind off the LSAT most of today, and I felt very sharp during PT 59.

catsparka

Postby catsparka » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:36 pm

kpuc wrote:After doing PT 59's LG this morning, I went ahead and did the rest of the PT in three successive sections. Not a real PT exactly, but I'll count it nevertheless:

Rats! I had something like a 179 going into the RC. I didn't find it difficult, but I made two dumb mistakes in the Noguchi section because in one question, I thought "negative" meant "positive" and in another, I thought "latter" meant "later". Really dumb. But actually an enjoyable RC nevertheless. Is it weird that I find the passages very informative and somewhat entertaining?

At least my LR bomb on PT 60 yesterday seems to have been a case of LSAT overwork. I kept my mind off the LSAT most of today, and I felt very sharp during PT 59.

I did the same thing in the Noguchi passage, where I confused negative and positive.

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:37 pm

catsparka wrote:
kpuc wrote:After doing PT 59's LG this morning, I went ahead and did the rest of the PT in three successive sections. Not a real PT exactly, but I'll count it nevertheless:

I did the same thing in the Noguchi passage, where I confused negative and positive.

Haha, glad to see I'm not the only one.

I would be EXTREMELY happy with a 175 on the real thing, so here's hoping.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”