Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

odoylerules

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby odoylerules » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:39 pm

Sinra wrote:
aesis wrote:I'm going to be drilling RC like mad. I feel like it's key.

PT 53
RC -4 (dammit!)
LR -3
LG -0
LR -1
LR exp -2
92 raw
173 scaled

Feeling better. At least I didn't get another 90 raw, haha. Missed my goal by 2 points!

I took 53 today

LR1 -2
LR2 -3
RC -3
LG -1 (dammit why can't I get 0 every time!!!)

91/172.

However, I had a hell of a time with the common law passage. I am still sort of confused about what the hell it was about. Is that the one that gave you trouble as well? Or was it spread out?

yeah this was hard, i just took 53, -2 in the RC, both wrong in the common law passage. I had a hard time with #14, I don't exactly see how the passage was paradoxical. Now that I'm getting through the 50's, RC is definitely feeling harder, while logic games seem easier. Although, this might just be because it is easier to learn LG's compared to RC. There's way more opportunities for curveballs, where as LG is just fastballs all the way.

aesis

Postby aesis » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:42 pm

Sinra wrote:
aesis wrote:I'm going to be drilling RC like mad. I feel like it's key.

PT 53
RC -4 (dammit!)
LR -3
LG -0
LR -1
LR exp -2
92 raw
173 scaled

Feeling better. At least I didn't get another 90 raw, haha. Missed my goal by 2 points!

I took 53 today

LR1 -2
LR2 -3
RC -3
LG -1 (dammit why can't I get 0 every time!!!)

91/172.

However, I had a hell of a time with the common law passage. I am still sort of confused about what the hell it was about. Is that the one that gave you trouble as well? Or was it spread out?

I missed two on the common law passage and two on the predator passage. Two of them were just dumb (rushing through) and two were scope-related. Wah. I was only one or two questions in on the predator passage at the 5 minute mark, I think. RC's a different beast in the 50s for sure.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:31 am

Adjudicator wrote:
eit wrote:PT 57 with the infamous dinosaurs is coming up next! I'm debating between leaving it for last since I know it's notorious, or doing it in order because if we get a weird dino like game on the test, I'm not going to know of its notoriety, so it's not like I'd be able to skip it just from looking at it. But then again once I'd tried it and thought it was horrible, I might have skipped it anyways. Hum. Who knows.

I did the games in the order they were presented, for the reason that you state. I thought saving it for last based on its notoriety would be an unfair psychological advantage that I won't have on the real test, so I just attacked it. It is pretty tough but I think you'll be up to the challenge.

I'm really interested to see how you do on 57. I got the same score on 56 as you did, but 57 was rather frustrating in comparison.

Yeah, I've decided to do the games in the order they're presented UNLESS I hit the point in the game where if it were any other game, I would try the next game and come back. That's usually only if I'm staring at my rules and KNOWING I must have misdiagrammed/wrongly assumed/didn't infer something crucial because none of the questions make sense. Thankfully, I pick up on this sense of something being off by the first question or two, so I know to skip ahead by this point.

I've been doing other games consistently during down time between PTs (like on the bus or before class, haha), and I'm feeling good about them. Sort of. Like, I did PT 2's weird dog show game that was confusing today and it wasn't too bad. Sequencing games are the shit. I've done sequencing games in like 3, 4 minutes, no lie. Frees up a lot more plug n chug time for the stupid games that aren't nice like sequencing.

Anyways, I'm very interested to see what I personally get on PT 57, as anecdotal evidence seems to point towards an increase in difficulty at 57.

iamcutdacheck

Postby iamcutdacheck » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:12 am

I got my first flawless RC on PT LSAT 52, misbubbled earlier in the test in Logical Reasoning though, doing PT LSAT 54 at 10:30

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:16 pm

Which LG (full sections) or particular games are hardest between PT 50 - 57?
Sept 2006 - June 2009
(besides dinos)
Same with hardest RC (passages or overall sections) between PT 50 - 57?

Thanks.

[I'm a retaker so I've done all these exams before but I plan on doing PT 59+58 (already took PT 60) before the Oct exam otherwise I'm just using 50-57 to drill RC and LG...]

eliekedourie

Postby eliekedourie » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:58 pm

Just took PT 53 after work. Got held up so I did not have time for an exp. section, but I don't really care since endurance is not a problem for me.

LR1 -0. Very happy. I sometimes feel sluggish on my first section, particularly when it's LR. Very pleased.
LG -0. This one clicked with me. I am quickly making key inferences blew through the 1st question in 4min 30secs, buying me time for the last two games.
LR2 -3. Pretty pissed about this. While I'm OK with the -3 in overall LR, I hate to get more than -2 per LR section. These were errors of comprehension at both the beginning and end of the section. Not sure what to chalk this up to.
RC -1. Happy about this. I had -3 and -4 in the last 2 tests RCs. I'm not having trouble with the comparative passage, but there is at least one of the other sections that gives me trouble. Missed one in the predator passage. Had it narrowed down to 2 and chose the wrong answer choice.

96 raw. 178 scaled. Happy about this. I'm a little concerned about how all over the place I am. Since PT 50 (including JUN07) my scores have been 173, 179, 171, 170, 178. While I'm happy to score high, I'd be happier if I was always scoring 174-175.

Rik Smits

Postby Rik Smits » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:33 pm

PrepTest 51:

LR: -3
RC: -2
LR: -3
LG: -6

Raw: 86
Scaled: 168

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:23 pm

I just did the supposedly killer PT 57. Yeah, it wasn't that great, mostly because my brain wasn't really in the LR zone and I got -3 each. Ouch.

94 raw, 174 scaled. My raw score has been over 92 for the past 14 tests, so I feel fairly alright about that. I would have preferred not to have messed up so much in LR, but eh. Live and learn. I'll drill lots of LR/review it.

Breakdown was: -0LG, -3LR, -3LR, -1RC (FRACTALS WTF?)

Yes, that's a MINUS ZERO on this silly dinosaur game I've been hearing about for ages. Of course, I had a mental edge in that I was prepared for it, and I wasn't taking it on a real exam. I started it, did about 3 or 4 of the questions, reached a point where if I didn't know of its notoriety, I would have moved on, so then moved on, did the last game, and came back to the dinosaur game and worked it out. Came down to the LUV / PI / TS division, really.

I'm so exhausted today though that I'm going to go to bed at like 8.30. Hopefully I can be in a better mental state on Friday when I take PT 58, because I was tired/hungry/headachey/not focusy on this test, and I think that REALLY tanks my LR.

Cromartie

Postby Cromartie » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:44 am

9:38 pm PST, just got done with PT 57.

LG -2
Ran out of time again on the last LG and guessed wrong on the last 2 questions. If D instead of B was my go-to guess choice, I'd have gotten of these 2 right. The troubling trend for LG continues for me. More drilling is in order, I suppose.
LR (Exp) -1
Have no idea what PT this is from, but my mistake was on the question regarding fossils in the late Silurian period. Changed from the right answer to the wrong one (A to E).
LR1 -0
LR2 -1 (No. 20, parallel reasoning. I thought this was particularly tough, and I almost never miss parallel reasoning questions.)
RC -2 (No. 23 and No. 25)
Freaking fractal passage.

Overall: 96/176

LG has become a significant concern for me. I definitely need to increase my speed a bit. Dinos were not quite as hard as I anticipated based on all the comments here, but that game did take me about 11 minutes to complete.

PT 58 on Sunday morning. I can see the finish line!

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:50 pm

Whoo! Got a 174 on the infamous PT 57: LG, -4, LR1: -2, LR2: -0, LG (Exp. PT 19): -0, and RC: -1.

I was really dreading the LG, especially since it was the first section, but I managed to get through the first 3 games, including the notorious Dino game, in about 26 minutes, leaving me 9 minutes for the Grants game. Wow, that game went completely over my head, and I made FOUR mistakes on that game. I really wish LSAC would stop taking up the whole page with their games; I don't think it's fair to impose petty and pointless limitations like lack of paper. What's next? You have to take the LSAT while they blast Ke$ha in the room?

Modern LGs continue to be my weakness. I did the LG from PT 19 as an experimental, and easily finished with 10 minutes to go and I was able to double-check everything. The much-complained-about Birds in a Cage game gave me no trouble at all. I think I'm better at the old weird type of games than some of these modern curveballs.

Third straight PT with -2 total LR! All my studying seems to be paying off. LR1 was pretty tough though, and there were a couple of questions from 1-15 that I had to skip over at first.

RC was the easiest I'd seen so far in the 50s. Though many people complain about it, I thought the Fractals passage was really easy; I even found it highly informative and enjoyable! The answers just popped out at me in this RC section.

Thanks, PT 57!

eliekedourie

Postby eliekedourie » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:52 pm

Just took PT 54 after work. Very pleased.

RC -0. Very pleased. I seem to be settling in to the post-JUN07 RC styles.
Exp. LG -6. I screwed up my diagram. I really need to be careful about this during the test. I need to slow myself down when diagramming and make sure what I am doing is correct.
LR1 -1. Happy with this. Missed #13. No great explanation for why I missed this.
LG -0. This was pretty easy. I like the LG sections in the 50s. They just make more sense to me than earlier LG sections.
LR2 -0. What else can I say?

100 raw. -1 overall. 180 scaled.

This is my 6th 180 and my 3rd since PT 45. Hope to keep this up. I am taking a PT every day until the day before the test when I'll just go over sections I've already done. I don't really experience burnout. I just want to maintain my PT momentum and ride it through test day.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:24 pm

PT 58 today. I know it's October, but whatever. -3LR (gross!), -1RC (had the right answer, changed it to a wrong), -0LG, -0LR.

Changed on LR answer from right to wrong as well. What is wrong with me, is the question.

aesis

Postby aesis » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:32 pm

Dreary.
PT 57
LG -0 (I barely finished this and had to brute force dinos)
LR -3/-2
RC -3 (sonofabitch)
93 --> 173

I kind of feel like I wasted this PT because I decided to try doing some yoga in the morning to get my mind clear and have that weird extra energy you get afterward. It didn't work (I only did 30 minutes). Couple this with my having only a peanut butter sandwich and one chewy bar, I noticed physical fatigue (I had trouble reading a passage) during my WARM-UP. ... That's never happened before. And I had legit hunger pangs in Section 4/5 :(

Lesson learned:
- don't do yoga right before
- eat a bigger breakfast (preferably with some freaking protein)

I also plan to down a 5-hour energy at 8:30am on test day. I haven't tested it yet but I know I react well to them and I predict it will help on my last 3 PTs. Considering this raw score is consistent with my averages as of late (I fluctuate from 91-95), then perhaps I will do better on a 5 hour energy.

Nevertheless, PT 57 in the books, and apparently my LR is on the cusp of -1/-2 averages.

Question:
Right now I'm doing a PT every other day, which means I take PT 60 on Thursday next week. I'm thinking about spacing it out more and sacrificing either PT 58 or 59. Or should I just stick with the PT every other day cycle? It seems more conventional that people take more than one day between PTs. I haven't seen any serious improvement since I started doing the 2-day cycle in the beginning of September. Thoughts for the last 2/3 PTs?

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:41 pm

I only have PT 59 and 60 left, but I'm taking a PT tomorrow at the mock LSAT thing that the Princeton Review puts on. Thus I'm doing a PT without a day off in between (i.e., did one today like you, then am doing the "mock" LSAT tomorrow). Sunday off, Monday PT 59, Tuesday off, Wednesday PT 60. It depends how close you want to come to the exam. I think I'll need two days without PT to have my brain fulllllly functional and to avoid burnout, and at least a day off in between. If you're going to double up (PT one day, PT next day), I'd do it tomorrow (so Sat - 58, Mon - 59, Wed, -60).

eliekedourie

Postby eliekedourie » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:09 pm

eit wrote:I only have PT 59 and 60 left, but I'm taking a PT tomorrow at the mock LSAT thing that the Princeton Review puts on. Thus I'm doing a PT without a day off in between (i.e., did one today like you, then am doing the "mock" LSAT tomorrow). Sunday off, Monday PT 59, Tuesday off, Wednesday PT 60. It depends how close you want to come to the exam. I think I'll need two days without PT to have my brain fulllllly functional and to avoid burnout, and at least a day off in between. If you're going to double up (PT one day, PT next day), I'd do it tomorrow (so Sat - 58, Mon - 59, Wed, -60).

Hey. Are you bringing a PT to that event or are they giving you the test? If so, how were you able to find out which test they are administering? I want to do the one tomorrow too, but I've done so many of the PTs and I don't want to waste a day re-doing one I did recently.

eliekedourie

Postby eliekedourie » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:15 pm

Took PT 55 today after work.

LR1 -1. Dumb error. I immediately saw what I did wrong.
RC -2. Annoyed. I thought that I had performed better than this.
LR2 -1. Question 24 genuinely got me. This one took me a while to unravel when reviewing.
LG -1. This was an incredibly dumb error. It was the 1st question on the 4th game and I was eliminating wrong answers. I thought I left myself with only answer A, so I marked it on the scantron sheet and didn't double check it. It turns out I had not actually eliminated answer E, the correct one.

95 raw. 175 scaled. That should have been a 177 or 178. I'm OK with 175, it's my average score on PTs 50-55, but I would have greatly preferred a 178. I want 175 to be my new bottom.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:31 pm

eliekedourie wrote:
eit wrote:I only have PT 59 and 60 left, but I'm taking a PT tomorrow at the mock LSAT thing that the Princeton Review puts on. Thus I'm doing a PT without a day off in between (i.e., did one today like you, then am doing the "mock" LSAT tomorrow). Sunday off, Monday PT 59, Tuesday off, Wednesday PT 60. It depends how close you want to come to the exam. I think I'll need two days without PT to have my brain fulllllly functional and to avoid burnout, and at least a day off in between. If you're going to double up (PT one day, PT next day), I'd do it tomorrow (so Sat - 58, Mon - 59, Wed, -60).

Hey. Are you bringing a PT to that event or are they giving you the test? If so, how were you able to find out which test they are administering? I want to do the one tomorrow too, but I've done so many of the PTs and I don't want to waste a day re-doing one I did recently.

I asked the guy who was advertising it but he said he didn't know. He said it was also possible that the test was an amalgamation of questions and maybe unreleased ones.

I'm leaning towards bringing my own test in. With the exceptions of PT 34, 35, 37, 41, 42, 59, and 60, I have done AT LEAST the games section of every PT (from 1-58), and a lot of them, much more than that. I've also done the first hundred or so of the 410 hardest LR packet in addition to whatever I've done from the actual tests I have. So I feel like I'd have seen at least one question/game before on that test.

I've basically decided to just bring my 5 section PT 60 in. I bought the 5 section from Cambridge, so I still have that mental advantage of not knowing what the experimental section is, and I like the symmetry of doing PT 60 on Saturday the 2nd and PT 61 on Saturday the 9th.

My new arrangement of PTs is as follows:

PT 60 on Saturday the 2nd (mock environment)
PT 59 on Monday the 4th (with a friend)
PT 42 on Wednesday the 6th (with no experimental)

I can't wait to never spend another dollar on PT materials again! I have 34, 35, and 37 that I haven't done, but I feel like I need to take the "newest" PT on Wednesday, but I don't want to squander PT 59 in my shortened length of time to test on Wednesday (I only have two hours, or I have to take it really late at night). So I'm going to buy PT 42 to take on Wednesday.

catsparka

Postby catsparka » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:47 pm

I just took 57 and got 96 raw, 176 scaled.

I was really scared going into this test, since I'd heard so much about the "dino game." But I actually really liked the dino game, and found the game immediately preceding the dino game to be the most annoying out of the four in the section.

-3 on LR1. One was a dumb mistake where I misread the question as saying "evidence supporting" when it was actually "evidence against."

I managed to get -0 on LR2. I always find that I do better on the second LR section.

-1 on RC. I'm really happy about this, since I've been struggling with RC for the last few PTs. I enjoyed fractals and got really involved in the passage (when I finished it, I immediately when searching for "fractals" on Wikipedia and Google). But I was definitely not a fan of the Willa Cather passage(s).

Now I only have 58, 59, and 60 left until test day. I'm really glad about my score for 57, because I think I really needed that confidence boost!

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:59 pm

I was really scared going into this test, since I'd heard so much about the "dino game." But I actually really liked the dino game, and found the game immediately preceding the dino game to be the most annoying out of the four in the section.

The Audition game was my favourite! I hated the Grants game, and made all 4 of my LG mistakes in that game alone. But I agree that the Dino game wasn't that bad.

catsparka

Postby catsparka » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:18 pm

kpuc wrote:

The Audition game was my favourite! I hated the Grants game, and made all 4 of my LG mistakes in that game alone. But I agree that the Dino game wasn't that bad.

I think the major thing that bothered me about the audition game was the list question. I really don't like it when LSAC presents the list questions in a format that's not very reader-friendly.

Also, some of the game material that LSAC comes up with is kind of cute (I think). Toy dinosaurs? That's pretty cute. There was also a game in one of the earlier PTs with pandas as well.

Curry

Postby Curry » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:33 pm

Can someone explain the last game of pt 58? For some reason, I just can't figure it out.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:31 am

game 4 is a grouping game
there are 2 keys to the game
1. you have to take at least 3 classes
NOr gets diagrammed as NOT AND NOt ( ill show you)
rules
1. H--> -S AND -M
converse
S or M--> -H
2. M--> -P AND -T
converse
P or T -> -M
3. W --> -P AND -S
converse
P or S --> -W

18 Grab A rule- use your rules to help answer ( only C doesnt violate them)
19 This can be done later in the game, but if you look at your deductions, you will see that the max is 4 ( the min is 3)
20. -P AND -W
the student can take statistics
the student needs to take linguistics( this element unrestricted)
the student can take theatre
that is the min amount of classes needed. History and Music dont need to be taken

21. Student takes MUsic ( cant take physics and theatre) this eliminates D and B
student cant take history ( rule 1) doesnt eliminate anything
if the student takes stastiscics ( doesnt have to however) then Writing gets eliminated ( A)
you are left with C and E. Since linguistics is an unrestricted element, and you need a minimum of 3, then they need to take it ( since you allready eliminated 3 choices
statistics is eliminated because you can take it, ( and eliminate writing) or you can take writing and eliminate statistics

22. linguistics or theatre
best way is to run these through the rules and diagram. look at the inferences
we know at least one spaci in the out column is s/m/h
onespace of the out column is p/t/m
one space of the out column is p/s/w
so linguistics has to be in ( that narrows it down to B and C)
use the rules and diagram the two, you will see that answer choice B is the one

23. This is a tricky one. the question reads which answer choice guarentees that music is in, p and t are out. the best way is to plug and chug

these last 2 questions eat up a lot of time. It took me 10 minutes to get through it, but i managed to get them all right.
HTH

Curry

Postby Curry » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:38 am

northwood wrote:game 4 is a grouping game
there are 2 keys to the game
1. you have to take at least 3 classes
NOr gets diagrammed as NOT AND NOt ( ill show you)
rules
1. H--> -S AND -M
converse
S or M--> -H
2. M--> -P AND -T
converse
P or T -> -M
3. W --> -P AND -S
converse
P or S --> -W

18 Grab A rule- use your rules to help answer ( only C doesnt violate them)
19 This can be done later in the game, but if you look at your deductions, you will see that the max is 4 ( the min is 3)
20. -P AND -W
the student can take statistics
the student needs to take linguistics( this element unrestricted)
the student can take theatre
that is the min amount of classes needed. History and Music dont need to be taken

21. Student takes MUsic ( cant take physics and theatre) this eliminates D and B
student cant take history ( rule 1) doesnt eliminate anything
if the student takes stastiscics ( doesnt have to however) then Writing gets eliminated ( A)
you are left with C and E. Since linguistics is an unrestricted element, and you need a minimum of 3, then they need to take it ( since you allready eliminated 3 choices
statistics is eliminated because you can take it, ( and eliminate writing) or you can take writing and eliminate statistics

22. linguistics or theatre
best way is to run these through the rules and diagram. look at the inferences
we know at least one spaci in the out column is s/m/h
onespace of the out column is p/t/m
one space of the out column is p/s/w
so linguistics has to be in ( that narrows it down to B and C)
use the rules and diagram the two, you will see that answer choice B is the one

23. This is a tricky one. the question reads which answer choice guarentees that music is in, p and t are out. the best way is to plug and chug

these last 2 questions eat up a lot of time. It took me 10 minutes to get through it, but i managed to get them all right.
HTH

Thanks. For some reason, this is the only game I've done in the last two weeks thats given me trouble. I had a perfect test until this game. It knocked me down to a 174.

xqhp82

Postby xqhp82 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:44 am

I just did this grouping game today, with an experimental LG section from PT49 and found that this game is almost identical to one of the games in 49. It is also about summer classes and very similar rules..

I managed to get -0 for this LG but does anyone find LR1 in PT58 quite brutal? I got a -8. I was stuck at several questions in 1-15 which are supposedly easy questions. The questions seem to be as long and convoluted as the older PTs.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:39 pm

xqhp82 wrote:I just did this grouping game today, with an experimental LG section from PT49 and found that this game is almost identical to one of the games in 49. It is also about summer classes and very similar rules..

I managed to get -0 for this LG but does anyone find LR1 in PT58 quite brutal? I got a -8. I was stuck at several questions in 1-15 which are supposedly easy questions. The questions seem to be as long and convoluted as the older PTs.

I scored a -3 in the first LR and a -0 in the second - definitely found LR 1 very tricky indeed.

Today I took PT 60 at the PR event... 94/92 raw (not counting misbubbling/counting misbubbling), 176/174 scaled. -2LR, -0LG, -1LR, -2RC. RC I had BOTH circled as difficult/not sure questions. Frack. The extra -2 from misbubbling were from the very last two questions of LG.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”