Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

User avatar
Cromartie
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby Cromartie » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:33 pm

Just got home from work... I am absolutely not in any condition to do a PT tonight. PT 55 will have to wait until tomorrow night or Friday.

Too drained...

User avatar
WonkyPanda
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby WonkyPanda » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:53 am

So, I was pumped and ready to go today! Grabbed a LG section from PT 28 and did the section with pretty solid ease. I jumped into the next two sections and as I was going to take my break i noticed something weird. I had been working in PT28 THE WHOLE TIME. It was a total epic fail and I didn't know what to do. I really needed to finish PT53 today but I had already down 3 sections from PT28. I said F it and decided to do 2-break-2 in PT 53. I figured it was a good time to see if and how much fatigue could affect me.

I ended up with a 168 (Raw 87, -13) and was pleasantly surprised. My breakdown went: LR -5, LG -1, LR -2, RC -5. I think I was really furious in my first section and that translated into a subpar performance on my first LR. Luckily, I cleaned house pretty well on the 2nd LR. I had to pee pretty badly towards the end of RC but -5 has been my avg for a while which I have been trying to get down desperately. Did anyone else find the games to be SUPER EASY on this test? My only wrong answer was a STUPID mistake but it happens to the best of us.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby Hedwig » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:56 am

I've been finding games super easy throughout the 40's and 50's. However, I've been re-doing old games and finding them much easier than the first time I did them, even though I don't remember the "right answer."

User avatar
iamcutdacheck
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:23 am

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby iamcutdacheck » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:28 am

Going to finish watching SVU then finish correcting PT 50, gonna be on that PT 51 jawn tomorrow!

User avatar
Cromartie
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby Cromartie » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:30 am

Cromartie wrote:Just got home from work... I am absolutely not in any condition to do a PT tonight. PT 55 will have to wait until tomorrow night or Friday.

Too drained...


So I was watching the series premiere of "Running Wilde" on my laptop last night to wind down after a grueling 12-hour workday (Will Arnett's a hilarious guy, but I'm not sure this show will make it) and the damn PT just kept beckoning to me from my desk. So, at around 9:30 or so, I got started on the PT. Just couldn't resist. Man, what an atrocious performance.

LR1 - 2
RC -4
LR2 -3
LG -4

LOL!!! Evidence of sloppiness was strewn all over the test. 3 misbubbles, not counting bubbling in no. 26 in LR2 when there were only 25 questions. In LR1 no. 25, I chose the answer that must be true because I completely missed the word "EXCEPT". Found myself staring blankly at the page a couple of times and ran out of time on LG - had to guess on the last 2. 3 of my mistakes in RC were in the last passage (tulip bulbs) where I basically just zipped through the whole thing as I just wanted to get it over with.

Not sweating this one though. It clearly is an extreme outlier compared to my performance on all previous PT's - had never dipped below 172 before and my average in the last 10 PT's hovers in the 176-179 range.

PT 56 will be on Sunday morning.

User avatar
Rik Smits
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:00 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby Rik Smits » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:46 am

Taking 50 today.

User avatar
aesis
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:26 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby aesis » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:24 pm

Cromartie wrote:3 misbubbles, not counting bubbling in no. 26 in LR2 when there were only 25 questions.


LOL indeed. I wouldn't take this performance seriously if I were you. I'm not sure if review would even be worth it apart from trying to get the right answer to your missed problems while in a better mental state.

Anyway, going to take PT 53 to town tonight. Shooting for a 94 raw at least. 7 PTs to go!

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby Sandro » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:49 pm

Started PT 51 today. did LR 1 (-2) then got to RC and accidentally paused the timer midway through. I could definitely tell my mind wasnt focused and will not be taking 5 hour energy before the test anymore. Got to the next LR section and ran out of time + was very inattentive (-7)

User avatar
Cromartie
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby Cromartie » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:46 pm

aesis wrote:
Cromartie wrote:3 misbubbles, not counting bubbling in no. 26 in LR2 when there were only 25 questions.


LOL indeed. I wouldn't take this performance seriously if I were you. I'm not sure if review would even be worth it apart from trying to get the right answer to your missed problems while in a better mental state.

Anyway, going to take PT 53 to town tonight. Shooting for a 94 raw at least. 7 PTs to go!


Hehe, yup, that's exactly how I'm taking it. Now if PT 56 on Sunday yielded similar results...that would be an issue.

Good luck with PT 53!

User avatar
eliekedourie
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby eliekedourie » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:40 pm

Just took PT 50. I had a shaky, ow blood sugar feeling the whole time and had nothing to snack on. I wanted to quit after every section, but decided to keep going to see what I could pull off feeling worse than I ever have before while PTing. In the end it wasn't took bad.

173 scaled. 93 total, -7.
RC -2. One wrong on riddled basins. Really not that bad.
LR1 -1.
LG -1. Missed a very obvious inference. Stupid error.
LR2 -3. This was a real bummer. Missed one due to misreading a word, but 2 were legit failures to comprehend.

All in all, considering how I felt during the test, I feel pretty good about this. I averaged 174.6 for PTS 40-49, so this wasn't bad. Looking forward to a strong finish up through PT 60.

Taking PT 51 tomorrow morning since I took the day off work.

User avatar
DrackedaryMaster
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:11 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby DrackedaryMaster » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:50 pm

PT58
-3 LR1 (#17, #22, #25)
-4 RC (#3, #15, #20, #21)
-0 LG (though spent an ungodly amount of time on #12, then realized this is not too bad if you diagrammed clearly - reminded me of a similar question in the fruit stand game). Finished the section with around a minute left.
-4 LR (#3, #9, #17, #22)

90/170

Whoa, it's amazing what can happen when the RC section is normal. My raw score tonight was exactly 8 points higher than PT59, thank God. I like these newly worded LR's, they seem more straightforward. Games were great. Give me a test set up like this on 9 Oct and I will be happy.

Debating whether to do PT57 or PT55 next (on Saturday, tomorrow is review day). I really want to try this dino game, but the RC difficulty I hear of in PT55 I want to try again and see if I can make improvements from what I reviewed on PT59.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby Blumpbeef » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:42 pm

DrackedaryMaster wrote:PT58
-3 LR1 (#17, #22, #25)
-4 RC (#3, #15, #20, #21)
-0 LG (though spent an ungodly amount of time on #12, then realized this is not too bad if you diagrammed clearly - reminded me of a similar question in the fruit stand game). Finished the section with around a minute left.
-4 LR (#3, #9, #17, #22)

90/170

Whoa, it's amazing what can happen when the RC section is normal. My raw score tonight was exactly 8 points higher than PT59, thank God. I like these newly worded LR's, they seem more straightforward. Games were great. Give me a test set up like this on 9 Oct and I will be happy.

Debating whether to do PT57 or PT55 next (on Saturday, tomorrow is review day). I really want to try this dino game, but the RC difficulty I hear of in PT55 I want to try again and see if I can make improvements from what I reviewed on PT59.


PT 57 RC is not a walk in the park either. I was not able to finish the last 3 problems on Passage 3. I didn't find it to be as bad as PT 56 though.

As for LG, I found the dino one to be the most straightforward.

Anyway, PT 57 was a miserable and horrible experience. 80/163. Missed a couple of LRs, Totally failed at the first two LGs, missed 6 RCs(2 at least as a result of running out of time).

I miss my 172 on 58. The rest of the 50s series has been terrible for me.

xqhp82
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby xqhp82 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:05 am

scored my personal highest on PT53 today!! it's quite a big jump from my usual 162-164 to a 168. I think it mostly came from my first -0 on LR. But RC remains as bad as it is...

LG: -0
LR1:-5
LR2: -0
RC: -8

What do you guys think about PT53? Is it relatively easy or was it pure luck that I got a 168?

User avatar
aesis
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:26 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby aesis » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:07 am

I'm going to be drilling RC like mad. I feel like it's key.

PT 53
RC -4 (dammit!)
LR -3
LG -0
LR -1
LR exp -2
92 raw
173 scaled

Feeling better. At least I didn't get another 90 raw, haha. Missed my goal by 2 points!

User avatar
Sinra
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby Sinra » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:33 am

...oops

User avatar
eliekedourie
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby eliekedourie » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:29 pm

Just took PT 51. Felt really distracted while taking it. I couldn't focus and found myself re-reading questions and answer choices way more than I like to. I finished every section with less time than normal and was expecting a big disappointment when I scored it. However...

LG (Exp. PT 6). -0
LR1 -0
RC -1
LR2 -1
LG -1

In the end a 97 raw, 179 scaled. -3 overall. I'm very relieved and happy, but kinda freaked out by how poorly I predict my performances, even after what was just my 42nd PT since June 2010. I'm not going to cancel my score since even my absolute worst performances have gotten me a 170 or higher and my June 2010 score was a 167, so I don't need to be able to predict my score to determine whether I'll cancel. I would, however, like to have some idea of how I've done so that I adjust my applications accordingly.

Have you guys had problems with being able to predict your performances?

kpuc
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby kpuc » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:55 pm

Just did PT 55. Got a -8 and a 171.

I'm aiming for a 175, but I'm very happy nevertheless because I only got -2 on the LR. It's my best ever, and recent trends have been pointing to better understanding of LR.

I got an uncharacteristic -3 on the RC. Comparative passages haven't given me trouble in the past couple of PTs, but I just dropped the ball on this one and made 2 mistakes. Errors in RC don't bother me though, because the section's never given me trouble before (except for the "Riddled Basins" PT).

I'm a little more disturbed about the -3 on LG. There was only one question that I just couldn't figure out before time ran out and just took an educated guess. I'm perfectly okay with that. But I also made a couple of dumb errors, where I either should've double-checked my answer more carefully or read the rules more carefully; when you get the first question of a game wrong, you know you've made a dumb mistake.

Better news about LG is that for my experimental, I did the LG with the infamous "Snakes and Lizards". It actually wasn't that bad, mainly probably because I had just done the "CD Store" game the night before and it was comparatively easier. I only got one wrong in the "Snakes and Lizards" game, and got only -1 on that LG section.

Though I wish I did better on PT 55, I'm very happy with my -2 LR, and I can rest easy knowing that I've consistently produced -0 or -1 RCs and LGs in many PTs. Now I just gotta put them together.

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby Hedwig » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:13 pm

I just did PT 55 as well!

Seeing as I just scored a 92/171 on PT 54 (so sick/tired), I was much more pleased with my performance today on 55 - 96 raw, 177 scaled.

I'm still sick, still somewhat sleep deprived, still on cold meds, took the test in the noisiest freaking cafeteria ever, with friends sitting and talking 2 feet away. So. I feel good.

I AM worried about test day anxiety. Like, not being able to focus because it's TEST DAY! and THE REAL THING and nerves getting the better of me. Tips, anyone?

DreamShake
Posts: 366
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:03 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby DreamShake » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:18 pm

Just wrapped up PT 56.
95/100=176
-1 LG (exp), -0 LG, -0 LR, -0 LR, -5 RC (WTF???)

Definitely happy about the -0 on LR & LG, especially since I felt out of whack/unfocused throughout the test. I tried using the "LSAT Proctor" app on my iphone for this test, and it screwed up my time on the 2nd LR. Didn't realize that locking the phone turned off the app, so I was in the midst of checking answers when my normal timer went off. I gave myself an extra 1 minute to skip ahead to one of the questions I circled and ended up changing the A/C to the credited response; LR seemed markedly more difficult on this test than in those past (but maybe that's from not focusing). The RC errors were mostly stupid mistakes: three misreads, one random brainfart (changing right answer to something obviously wrong), and one curious question.

I have no understanding of why "A" is anymore analogous than "E" on #20. In fact, A seems to be downright wrong for arguing that criteria are met, whereas Passage B explicitly says the criteria should be changed because they cannot be met, which opens the door to exploitation.

kpuc
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby kpuc » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:44 pm

I just did PT 55 as well!

Seeing as I just scored a 92/171 on PT 54 (so sick/tired), I was much more pleased with my performance today on 55 - 96 raw, 177 scaled.

I'm still sick, still somewhat sleep deprived, still on cold meds, took the test in the noisiest freaking cafeteria ever, with friends sitting and talking 2 feet away. So. I feel good.

I AM worried about test day anxiety. Like, not being able to focus because it's TEST DAY! and THE REAL THING and nerves getting the better of me. Tips, anyone?


Ah, jealous! A 175 was totally within my reach and I blew it. At least this way, I won't be complacent.

As for test nerves... What I try to do is tell myself that no matter what happens on the LSAT, I will be able to find a place where I'd be really happy. For example, if I get 173+, then I'll probably go to NYU and get to live in arguably the greatest city in the world, study at one of the best law schools in the country, and live where a lot of my friends will be. If I get 170-173, then I'll probably go to Michigan and get to live in arguably the best college town in the country, go to one of the finest and most beautiful law schools in the country, and get to root for the Wolverines for 3 years. If I get 167-170, then I could look at UCLA/USC, which might be a great thing for me since I want to get involved in the film industry after law school; getting a lower LSAT score might be my perfect excuse to say hell with rankings and prestige and go where I truly want to be. Anything below 167? Well, probably won't happen, but if it does, I'll either have a bad feeling and cancel my score, or I'll just retake.

Also, I just fully realized how much harsher the scale is on the new LSATs. About a month ago, I got a couple of 175s in a row on older LSATs (somewhere in the teens) and at the time, I thought the test was a cinch. I looked back at those tests now, and I realize that I got -8 for both of them and still came away with a 175. Nowadays, a -8 will barely keep you above 170. The questions haven't really gotten harder, but man, that scale has gotten mean.

User avatar
aesis
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:26 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby aesis » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:54 pm

Actually based on 59 and 60 the curve has been quite generous, perhaps due to an influx of test takers looking to stay in school and ride out the recession?

And I disagree, RC and LR are significantly harder IMO. Games picked up around 50, too. 40's were a cinch.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:15 pm

DreamShake wrote:I have no understanding of why "A" is anymore analogous than "E" on #20. In fact, A seems to be downright wrong for arguing that criteria are met, whereas Passage B explicitly says the criteria should be changed because they cannot be met, which opens the door to exploitation.


Yes, I instantly selected A as a loser and then went on to get the question wrong. What Pass B does say is that they meet the non-legal part of the definition, ie. the empirical criteria. This is analogous to the wording of A. As for E, the first part about the conceptual links is obviously wrong, so while the second half is a good analogy for B, it doesn't work.

It is not so hard to justify A as being the answer, if you already know that it is correct, and if you have 10 or 15 minutes to stare at it. I'm sure I can become better at this stuff with practice, but I feel like I don't have enough time to really get it together on these new RCs before the 9th. I always assumed that my scores would naturally improve as I go through LRs and never studied RC specifically.

My biggest problem on that section was 19. I just don't see the justification for E in Passage B.

kpuc
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby kpuc » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:48 pm

Actually based on 59 and 60 the curve has been quite generous, perhaps due to an influx of test takers looking to stay in school and ride out the recession?

And I disagree, RC and LR are significantly harder IMO. Games picked up around 50, too. 40's were a cinch.


RC is slightly harder, but it's my strongest section anyway so I didn't notice it as much.

LR may have gotten harder, but I also began with the old tests so I can't tell if my better LR scores now are because of or in spite of the new LR.

LGs, in general, seem to have gotten a bit easier. They're certainly not as difficult as some in the past.

Hopefully you're right about the scale becoming more lenient. I heard that #60 was difficult though, which would explain the nice scale. In contrast, the older tests seemed to have lenient scales no matter how difficult the test was.

DreamShake
Posts: 366
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:03 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby DreamShake » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:00 pm

dhrizek wrote:
DreamShake wrote:I have no understanding of why "A" is anymore analogous than "E" on #20. In fact, A seems to be downright wrong for arguing that criteria are met, whereas Passage B explicitly says the criteria should be changed because they cannot be met, which opens the door to exploitation.


Yes, I instantly selected A as a loser and then went on to get the question wrong. What Pass B does say is that they meet the non-legal part of the definition, ie. the empirical criteria. This is analogous to the wording of A. As for E, the first part about the conceptual links is obviously wrong, so while the second half is a good analogy for B, it doesn't work.

It is not so hard to justify A as being the answer, if you already know that it is correct, and if you have 10 or 15 minutes to stare at it. I'm sure I can become better at this stuff with practice, but I feel like I don't have enough time to really get it together on these new RCs before the 9th. I always assumed that my scores would naturally improve as I go through LRs and never studied RC specifically.

My biggest problem on that section was 19. I just don't see the justification for E in Passage B.



Ah, I totally forgot the part in passage B that says they fulfill the objective elements & should be considered a minority--that does make a difference. I think, though, that A is still wrong. There's a gigantic difference between saying "X meets the requirements for this classification," and "One requirement for this classification is superfluous/wrong, so X should be considered part of this classification." Passage B says only that they should be considered a minority group, not that they actually meet the requirements for one. Nor do I think "conceptual links" clearly makes E wrong--Passage A generally discusses the concepts of minorities, nations, and people before discussing them in the context of the Roma. I can sort of see how it might be wrong because it mentions refuting two different classifications...but nothing particularly definitive.

I got 19 by POE :\ I think the sentiment is more implicit in Passage B, although I also thought the testmakers were directly contradicting Passage A, since the author explicitly states that many groups have problems. The status of this group might be special in its degree, but it certainly does not seem anomalous...new RC sections are far too ambiguous. :x

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:10 pm

Is it helpful to think of 19 as a Could Be True? If I had approached it from that point of view, I think I would have picked the correct answer, but I thought of it more as a Must Be True and eliminated E because it didn't seem to be part of the passage.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests