Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

DreamShake
Posts: 366
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:03 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby DreamShake » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:01 pm

I also did PT 50 today...I oddly found the riddled basins passage to be really easy but spent a ton of time on the first passage. Lit/Art passages always seem to slow me down, in part because they come close to boring me to death. Does anybody use any particular technique to focus on passages that are particularly ugh-worthy? I've tried making both mental and written annotations, but neither seems to help my focus. At this point, I'm considering discreetly stabbing myself with a pencil after each paragraph...

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby Hannibal » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:46 pm

Just finished my gradual PT 48 (been taking it in sections). I guess I was more OK with the curve than I thought, since I got 177. My one mess up on section 4 was kind of a dumb mistake. I spent 5 minutes on one question (25) which I actually had right the whole time. But even if I had time to look them over since I was so sure I got the dumb mistake right.

While the joy of getting 175+ has been sapped by my 180s, I find that every time I get 175+ I feel less stressed. I get the confidence that I WILL get 172+, regardless of how foolish that confidence is. Considering that I was initially only hoping to get into UC Davis this is a huge upgrade.

User avatar
downing
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby downing » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:45 pm

Freakin holy grail on a flaming upside down cross... I can't get my hands on PT60. It's still eluding me!!!! Finishing up PT38 today, and I have 47-59 to do before the big day.

am060459
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:14 am

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby am060459 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:26 am

PT 50

first PT in a while. little nervous and felt rushed. also i caught myself looking around so i wasnt to focused.

RC -10
LR -7
LR -8
AR -1

74 --> 158 (scored a 159 on my june lsat so FML)

99% of my LR mistakes came from 1-15. i feel retarded.

hopefully i can do better from now on. PT 51 tomorrow. wont review PT 50 to much as i got home late due to the storm in NYC (caused mass delays on trains and roads).

good luck all.

kpuc
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby kpuc » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:10 pm

Just did PT 53 and got a 174.

I'm happy that I only got -4 in LR combined. As long as I get -4 and no more wrong, I'll be happy. I feel like I have a better chance of getting -0 on both LG and RC than less than -2 on LR; for me, there are just too many LR questions to be absolutely precise. I'm aiming for a 175.

am060459
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:14 am

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby am060459 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:45 pm

PT 52

RC (exp) -3
AR -4.....made one mistake in every game :(
LR -6
RC -12.....srsly wtf man...i felt better about this one
LR -3


75 --> 160

User avatar
Cromartie
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby Cromartie » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:33 pm

I'm going to be completely LSAT-free -- no sections, no reviewing of any kind, no thinking at all about the LSAT -- until Sunday morning, when I take PT 54.

Have a great weekend, folks!

lawyer
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby lawyer » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:52 am

Could somebody please give me PT 59 and 60? I would be happy to give any other PT's in return.

am060459
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:14 am

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby am060459 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:39 pm

PT 51

AR -2
LR -5
RC -9
LR -8


76 --> 161

will review PT 50-52 tomorrow and monday with some practice.

PT 53-55 next week.

good luck all.

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby Hannibal » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:16 pm

I'm tryin to do a replication of the test day this morning. Got up at 7, wouldn't let myself go to the bathroom after 8:30, started at 9:20. I'm finding myself slow and easily distracted this morning. Had to rush through an RC on my first section (exp).

On the logic games section i just finished, I actually figured out an inference in my head during this 15 minute break. I might have messed up that game, I'm not sure. I wish I could do a do-over now that I remember how to do this.

Stooopid mornings.

ND'10
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:46 am

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby ND'10 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:35 pm

PT 58 this morning:

LR 1: -4
RC: -3
LG: -1
LR 2: -4

Overall: 169

LR: After getting -2 or better on 11 of my last 12 LR sections, I think I needed this kick swift in the butt of a -8 total. I was getting overconfident and trying to fly through instead of just answering the questions. As I reviewed the Qs I missed, I noticed that a lot of the answers I gave were either weakening or strengthening the wrong argument because I had the wrong idea what the actual conclusion was (I read the Bear Preserve problem way too quickly for example and confused preserve with region, or whatever the two terms were). Its not the end of the world, I'd much rather make the mistakes now then 3 weeks from today, but I surely wasn't happy with this.

RC: Easier than average. I'm still struggling with Comparative passages though- -1 on first 3 passages, and -2 on the last Comparative passage. Hopefully I'll improve with these as I do more of the last recent tests.

LG: Again, easier than average to average I thought, but I was VERY happy that I got -0 on both grouping games (#2 and #4) because I have been struggling with those (I got a -3 on the S/R hospital game from PT 34 earlier this week).

Overall: Not horrible, but disappointed because I thought I was kicking this test's butt the whole time I was taking it. Goal for the 9th is a 170, though, so I'm right there if I just stop these stupid mistakes (I missed both LR sections' 3rd problems because I flew through the stimulus and didn't understand the conclusion!!) and slow down a bit, I should still be alright.

DreamShake
Posts: 366
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:03 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby DreamShake » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:10 pm

Just wrapped up PT 53; got -1 for a 180!! I was kind of unnerved by the last game, though...it took all of about 15 minutes to finish (lucky I finished the first 3 quickly). Anybody have any suggestions on how best to set it up?? I organized it like a grouping game, with the people (MNOPST) as the groups, and the order of finish/groups as two variables. In hindsight, maybe setting it up in the order of finish would've been smarter :\

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby Hannibal » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:21 pm

Did PT53 this morning, got a 173 (-4 on RC). Worst score I've gotten in over a month.

hulahoop
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:29 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby hulahoop » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:03 pm

Did PT 58, got a 172. Which I am not happy with. Missed 4 (!!!) on my 2nd LR section, which was the first one back after I took my break. I feel like the break kinda hurt me, as LR is usually my strong point, and I only missed 1 on the previous. sigh.

Im getting really sick of these fluctuating scores, my last was 179. I am starting to think its all about my attitude/mental stamina at this point, as I know I am capable of getting a 180 but sometimes just cant perform up to my own standards. Anyone experienced something similiar? Unfortunately I dont have time between now and the real thing to just keep doing full-length timed PTs, my next few weeks are going to be crazy busy. Hoping the real thing will force me to focus.

Will post breakdown later, when Im not so annoyed.

User avatar
Cromartie
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby Cromartie » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:25 pm

PT 54 is in the books.

RC -0
Struggled a bit with the group think passage, but all others were very manageable.

LR - 1
Question no. 1 - wtf??? - chose C instead of D. I am still not convinced that retirees do not constitute a representative sample since they were employees at one time or another.

LG -0
Ironically, I skipped Games 2 and 3 and went ahead to Game 4 since I initially thought 2 and 3 were tough...turns out 4 was tougher. For 2, the NH block and Q being restricted to 3 or 4 stars, taken with the fact that at most 2 can have the same ratings, pretty much restricted the number of possible solutions. For 3, the templates were pretty much driven by the LM >O > S block. No. 4 was trickier to manage because of the inverse relationship (intuitively) between positions 1 through 6 and lowest to highest/highest to lowest. I initially set it up inversely and had to redo my set-up.

LR 2 - 1
No. 4, chose E instead of D. Still not convinced about this one either. The reason I picked E is that it would appear that Ray has presupposed that only his interpretation/conclusion is valid.

Overall: 99/180

After being on the fringe the past couple of PT's, I finally get my 4th 180! Detailed review will have to wait until after my basketball game tonight. PT 55 on Wednesday night.

Pastels
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:41 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby Pastels » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:02 pm

Well, my PT 55 was a throw away today as I had to stop numerous times due to distractions/numerous other things that just seemed to happen. Test is pretty simple. LR1 has some odd questions. RC was a bit strenuous and LG was boring.

User avatar
eliekedourie
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby eliekedourie » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:42 pm

I'm catching up on this thread after powering through the 40s. Just completed 49 with a -4 overall for a 177. I'm planning on doing 50 on Thursday and then 51 on Friday. The 40s started out rough and were kind of all over the place, but I powered through them and averaged 175 on the 10 tests, getting 180s on 46 and 47. I had a tough time on 48 though, scoring my first 170 in many tests. The -8 for 170 curve was kinda rough. Anyway, looking forward to catching up with you guys.

kpuc
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby kpuc » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:44 pm

LR - 1
Question no. 1 - wtf??? - chose C instead of D. I am still not convinced that retirees do not constitute a representative sample since they were employees at one time or another.


I hate first questions that aren't duh questions, and this one was one of them. But if the company is boasting that it still treats its employees well, then it can't rely on a group that has long left its employment as proof that they still treat employees well today.

RC -0
Struggled a bit with the group think passage, but all others were very manageable.


I found the groupthink passage a little difficult too, and made both my mistakes there. Wordiness abound in those questions.

User avatar
Cromartie
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby Cromartie » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:11 am

kpuc wrote:
LR - 1
Question no. 1 - wtf??? - chose C instead of D. I am still not convinced that retirees do not constitute a representative sample since they were employees at one time or another.


I hate first questions that aren't duh questions, and this one was one of them. But if the company is boasting that it still treats its employees well, then it can't rely on a group that has long left its employment as proof that they still treat employees well today.

RC -0
Struggled a bit with the group think passage, but all others were very manageable.


I found the groupthink passage a little difficult too, and made both my mistakes there. Wordiness abound in those questions.


I see your point, but I'm still not completely convinced. The executive is not saying that the company "still" treats employees fairly; just that the company treats employees fairly (construed to mean in general terms). Hence, people who have actually worked at the company can certainly speak to the fairness/unfairness of the way employees are treated there. Additionally, we can't necessarily conclude that "retirees" refer only to employees who left the company a long time ago...what if they had just retired last week or even yesterday? But I guess one can argue that D is better than each of the other 4 choices.

Any thoughts on LR2 no. 4? I chose E instead of D. I eliminated D because Ray is not saying that there is only one possible cause for the trunk's popping open. In fact, he does not suggest any cause at all. He simply says that contrary to what Cynthia says, the trunk's opening could not have been due to the car hitting a pothole. This appears to be more in line with E rather than D. To further support my contention, let's try negating D and say that Ray acknowledges that the popping of the trunk could have been caused by many different things. Even if this were true, Ray's argument still stands. For instance, Ray could say that a gnome hiding in the trunk could have popped it open on one of the previous occasions, a spring/locking mechanism could have snapped on another occasion, etc. And then, he could claim that this time around, it was the gnome or the spring, or some other thing that caused the trunk to pop open, and not the pothole. So, he successfully denies Cynthia's claim while at the same time acknowledging that the event could have been caused by any of a number of different things.

In other news, I did the LG from Superprep B tonight and got destroyed. -5 total, -4 on the circular table game alone. I now wonder what the odds might be that a circular game shows up in the October test...
Last edited by Cromartie on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby Sandro » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:40 am

I will be starting PT 50 tomorrow. Does anyone have any experience on how to get the most out of the last 8 or so PTs I have left before the exam? Currently stuck around mid/high 160s.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:44 am

Sandro777 wrote:I will be starting PT 50 tomorrow. Does anyone have any experience on how to get the most out of the last 8 or so PTs I have left before the exam? Currently stuck around mid/high 160s.


Focus. I regret taking PT's where I wasn't completely zoned in.

am060459
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:14 am

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby am060459 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:50 am

need PT 59 and PT 60.

i do have some prep stuff in PDF format. PM if you want to exchange or if you're willing to give them to me for free :)

TIA

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby Hedwig » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:03 am

Cromartie wrote:PT 54 is in the books.

RC -0
Struggled a bit with the group think passage, but all others were very manageable.

LR - 1
Question no. 1 - wtf??? - chose C instead of D. I am still not convinced that retirees do not constitute a representative sample since they were employees at one time or another.

LG -0
Ironically, I skipped Games 2 and 3 and went ahead to Game 4 since I initially thought 2 and 3 were tough...turns out 4 was tougher. For 2, the NH block and Q being restricted to 3 or 4 stars, taken with the fact that at most 2 can have the same ratings, pretty much restricted the number of possible solutions. For 3, the templates were pretty much driven by the LM >O > S block. No. 4 was trickier to manage because of the inverse relationship (intuitively) between positions 1 through 6 and lowest to highest/highest to lowest. I initially set it up inversely and had to redo my set-up.

LR 2 - 1
No. 4, chose E instead of D. Still not convinced about this one either. The reason I picked E is that it would appear that Ray has presupposed that only his interpretation/conclusion is valid.

Overall: 99/180

After being on the fringe the past couple of PT's, I finally get my 4th 180! Detailed review will have to wait until after my basketball game tonight. PT 55 on Wednesday night.


Congrats on your 180.

I think question 1 has to do with self selection. Respondents to the survey chose to respond to the survey, they might be unrepresentative of the group as a whole.

User avatar
Cromartie
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby Cromartie » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:03 am

DreamShake wrote:Just wrapped up PT 53; got -1 for a 180!! I was kind of unnerved by the last game, though...it took all of about 15 minutes to finish (lucky I finished the first 3 quickly). Anybody have any suggestions on how best to set it up?? I organized it like a grouping game, with the people (MNOPST) as the groups, and the order of finish/groups as two variables. In hindsight, maybe setting it up in the order of finish would've been smarter :\


I started my templates off with the order of finish, which only has 2 possible alternatives: F > G > H or G > H > F. From this point, I just plugged in the rest of the rules/conditions and set up my templates.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Pt 50-60 September Crew. Enter Here

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:07 am

Cromartie wrote:LR - 1
Question no. 1 - wtf??? - chose C instead of D. I am still not convinced that retirees do not constitute a representative sample since they were employees at one time or another.


Retirees are not a representative sample for multiple reasons.

1. Retirees finished their careers at this company, therefore the age is not representative.
2. Retirees most likely were not working at an entry-level position.
3. Retirees represent a sample of workers who were treated well enough to continue working there.
4. Retirees represent a sample of workers who are more likely to have worked at the company for a longer period of time.

Hope this helps!




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests