Getting faster at LG?

Adjudicator

Getting faster at LG?

Postby Adjudicator » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:25 pm

I need some tips. I've worked through the LG Bible and I've already improved a lot.

Right now, I have nearly perfect accuracy, but I have trouble finishing all the problems in under 35 minutes. Sometimes I do, but other times I run out of time with 3 or 4 problems left on the last set.

So I'm pretty close to where I want to be... but how do I progress from here? I want to be able to consistently finish all the questions in 35 minutes or less.

Any tips for getting over the hump?

Knock

Re: Getting faster at LG?

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:25 pm

Adjudicator wrote:I need some tips. I've worked through the LG Bible and I've already improved a lot.

Right now, I have nearly perfect accuracy, but I have trouble finishing all the problems in under 35 minutes. Sometimes I do, but other times I run out of time with 3 or 4 problems left on the last set.

So I'm pretty close to where I want to be... but how do I progress from here? I want to be able to consistently finish all the questions in 35 minutes or less.

Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice....you get the picture :P. I would re-do games you've done before, and see if you can do them again faster, making different/deeper inferences.

You're in a good spot. Keep your accuracy up, and just practice getting faster. Make sure that you're not wasting time. If you're stuck on a question move to the next one and come back for it. Often times you'll be able to look at it from a different angle and it won't take you as long as if you had tried to force it at the time.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:30 pm

Knockglock wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:I need some tips. I've worked through the LG Bible and I've already improved a lot.

Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice....you get the picture :P. I would re-do games you've done before, and see if you can do them again faster, making different/deeper inferences.

You're in a good spot. Keep your accuracy up, and just practice getting faster. Make sure that you're not wasting time. If you're stuck on a question move to the next one and come back for it. Often times you'll be able to look at it from a different angle and it won't take you as long as if you had tried to force it at the time.

Thanks for the encouragement. Does reworking old problems really help improve speed on future new problems?

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:32 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

Thanks for the encouragement. Does reworking old problems really help improve speed on future new problems?

Yeah, I think so. You will be surprised at some of the inferences you can make and how fast you can solve a LG problem if you make a good set up and make the correct inferences.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:35 pm

All right, I'll try that. Thanks.

I've only done earlier Prep Tests, from about 30 and down, so far. I've heard that LG has been easier in recent years; is there any truth to that? I found a 2007 LSAT on LSAC.org and I did the LG section and it wasn't too tough, but again it took me a few extra minutes to complete.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:37 pm

Adjudicator wrote:All right, I'll try that. Thanks.

I've only done earlier Prep Tests, from about 30 and down, so far. I've heard that LG has been easier in recent years; is there any truth to that? I found a 2007 LSAT on LSAC.org and I did the LG section and it wasn't too tough, but again it took me a few extra minutes to complete.

I really do find recent logic games MUCH MUCH easier than the really old ones.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:39 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:

Meh, I would say in the recent tests, 55+, it gets pretty difficult again. I remember the 40's was probably the easiest LG overall. 57 had dinosaurs, killer, 60 had interns, killer. I think LSAC is willing to give us difficult LG again.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:43 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:

Goodness, I really hope this is true. For the most part, I can now finish games (untimed) getting between 2-4 questions wrong. But it is the timing that kills me. I am thinking of working hard LR and get that down to around -2/-3 because I can usually finish those under 35 mins.
Last edited by LLB2JD on Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:43 pm

Knockglock wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

Meh, I would say in the recent tests, 55+, it gets pretty difficult again. I remember the 40's was probably the easiest LG overall. 57 had dinosaurs, killer, 60 had interns, killer. I think LSAC is willing to give us difficult LG again.

Funny thing is that the first time I saw the dinosaur game, it was the first LG section that I finished on time with -1.

After that LG seemed to just click and I haven't gotten worse than -2 on my PT's so far.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:45 pm

Knockglock wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

If this is true, I guess I'm screwed then. But what the heck, getting below a 165 is not an option for me

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:59 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

If this is true, I guess I'm screwed then. But what the heck, getting below a 165 is not an option for me

As long as it's nothing like the infamous snakes and lizards game. Oh my god. I think I almost ripped by book in half while attempting to solve that problem.

Justiceinbrothel

Postby Justiceinbrothel » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:21 am

Knockglock wrote:

Honey I disagree with you. Practice is okay when skin is kind of tight but once it gets loose you need more lubrication. further improvement in LG is a matter of visualization not just practice.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:31 am

Justiceinbrothel wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

Honey I disagree with you. Practice is okay when skin is kind of tight but once it gets loose you need more lubrication. further improvement in LG is a matter of visualization not just practice.

:?:

Justiceinbrothel

Postby Justiceinbrothel » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:40 am

Knockglock wrote:
Justiceinbrothel wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

I think text should have alphabets in order to be able to express something.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:41 am

Justiceinbrothel wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
Justiceinbrothel wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

I think text should have alphabets in order to be able to express something.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:48 am

Pssst Knock it's a troll.

ETA: Practice is TCR. That's all I did and I sped up 10minutes.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:57 am

acrossthelake, are/were you able to consistently finish Games sections? How exactly did you practice? Did you re-do old problems much or just focus on doing a lot of new problems?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:05 am

Adjudicator wrote:acrossthelake, are/were you able to consistently finish Games sections? How exactly did you practice? Did you re-do old problems much or just focus on doing a lot of new problems?

In the beginning, no, I wasn't able to, though this was also with older tests that typically have 24Qs instead of 23. I would get all that I did correct, but simply run out of time to answer the last 2-3 questions. I did every single LG I could get (in total, over 40, though not the full set). I redid some older ones as well. By the end, I could do new LG sections in 25minutes, though I took 30 on test day since I slowed down to ensure accuracy.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:10 am

Nice; I hope I can improve similarly. I've been doing the older tests, too, and I often run out of time right at the end. But I haven't done any practice tests past 30 yet. I still have a lot of material I can work with.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”