Consistency on LR/LG and Improving on RC

whymeohgodno

Consistency on LR/LG and Improving on RC

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:57 pm

How can I work on these two?

I've done around 10 RC sections, and I always seem to average from -3 to -5 on average (sometimes -7 when it's a bad day).

LG I've been averaging -0 to -3 for maybe 8 PT's now, but I'm worried on the real exam I will run out of time because I finish directly on the 35 minute mark.

LR....it seems to be about avoiding careless mistakes while at the same time maintaining a steady pace. I average anywhere between -0 to -6 a section but whenever I look at sections where I got -6, it's always because of stupid errors.

3|ink

Re: Consistency on LR/LG and Improving on RC

Postby 3|ink » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:17 pm

Bibles.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:19 pm

3|ink wrote:Bibles.

I own LG and LR bibles.

How would I improve on RC? Should I get a RC bible?

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:32 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:

I own LG and LR bibles.

How would I improve on RC? Should I get a RC bible?

Sorry. I only saw "How should I work on these two."

The only way to practice RC is practice. You eventually develop a 6th sense about the information in the passage. You commit to memory the things that really matter: ideas, points of view, parties of opinion. You mark frivilous details for reference if necessary.

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:37 pm

Im starting my hardcore RC prep tonight. Kind of strange/pathetic to start on a Friday night, but Ive told myself that with a month and a half left I have to start incorporating either Friday night or Saturday night into my prep since I do prep M-Th nights.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:48 pm

I just recently made a huge jump in RC and I don't know if this will work for you but it worked for me. A lot of prep companies preach notation and writing in the margins, but that was not working for me. So now, the first time I read a passage I barely do any notation whatsoever, I just read it like I'm reading an article in the Times. I seem to absorb it much better and I think like somebody mentioned, some of this will just come with time. But, I read the article and just make a few (like 3 total) notations (circle key words). Then, I feel like I have more time to refer back to the passage which was something I was not doing before because I was wasting so much time on notation on the first pass.

So basically, I read it once with very few notations and hit the questions. Then, I refer back to the passage when necessary. I have my timing down now doing this and I'm almost always -0 or -1 per RC section. I think prep companies tend to over complicate the RC section for some people who read a lot of dense material anyway. When I first started RC I thought I had to notate everything for easy reference but really if you just pay attention to the overall structure and a few key details, you will be able to locate any of the key aspects that the questions call for much more efficiently.

But, I don't know, maybe it's just what helped me.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:52 pm

naterj wrote:I just recently made a huge jump in RC and I don't know if this will work for you but it worked for me. A lot of prep companies preach notation and writing in the margins, but that was not working for me. So now, the first time I read a passage I barely do any notation whatsoever, I just read it like I'm reading an article in the Times. I seem to absorb it much better and I think like somebody mentioned, some of this will just come with time. But, I read the article and just make a few (like 3 total) notations (circle key words). Then, I feel like I have more time to refer back to the passage which was something I was not doing before because I was wasting so much time on notation on the first pass.

So basically, I read it once with very few notations and hit the questions. Then, I refer back to the passage when necessary. I have my timing down now doing this and I'm almost always -0 or -1 per RC section. I think prep companies tend to over complicate the RC section for some people who read a lot of dense material anyway. When I first started RC I thought I had to notate everything for easy reference but really if you just pay attention to the overall structure and a few key details, you will be able to locate any of the key aspects that the questions call for much more efficiently.

But, I don't know, maybe it's just what helped me.

I might try this.

How many were you getting wrong doing notations?

And how long did it take you before you got the new method down?

Justiceinbrothel

Postby Justiceinbrothel » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:26 am

whymeohgodno wrote:How can I work on these two?

I've done around 10 RC sections, and I always seem to average from -3 to -5 on average (sometimes -7 when it's a bad day).

LG I've been averaging -0 to -3 for maybe 8 PT's now, but I'm worried on the real exam I will run out of time because I finish directly on the 35 minute mark.

LR....it seems to be about avoiding careless mistakes while at the same time maintaining a steady pace. I average anywhere between -0 to -6 a section but whenever I look at sections where I got -6, it's always because of stupid errors.

What else is left?

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:05 am

I read this post and wondered if reading the Bible would help you any with RC/LR. I'm thinking no, but hey, all reading is good. Unless you're reading, like, texts, and then I'd say no. But I read pretty fast and my latest fare consists of that Privilege series about a serial killer attending boarding school lol.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”