Most frequent types of LR questions

ERPM

Most frequent types of LR questions

Postby ERPM » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:46 pm

Long time reader, first time poster. Can someone give me the list of logical reasoning types in the order of their frequency?

Knock

Re: Most frequent types of LR questions

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:48 pm

ERPM wrote:Long time reader, first time poster. Can someone give me the list of logical reasoning types in the order of their frequency?

See: Powerscore's Logical Reasoning Bible.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:54 pm

Assumption/Inference/Strengthen-Weaken/Flaw and maybe Principle.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:56 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Assumption/Inference/Strengthen-Weaken/Flaw and maybe Principle.

I wouldn't say assumption is one of the most frequent ones. If I'd had to guess, maybe Flaw? It doesn't really matter, they're all on there, and you need to learn them all.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:00 pm

Knockglock wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Assumption/Inference/Strengthen-Weaken/Flaw and maybe Principle.

I wouldn't say assumption is one of the most frequent ones. If I'd had to guess, maybe Flaw? It doesn't really matter, they're all on there, and you need to learn them all.

I would say assumption is definitely a major question type. There always seems to be at least 5 to 9 assumption question on every LSAT I've taken.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:01 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

I would say assumption is definitely a major question type. There always seems to be at least 5 to 9 assumption question on every LSAT I've taken.

5-9 assumption questions? :shock:. You realize there are only like 25 questions in your average LR section, right. You're over estimating. I think 3-4 assumption questions a test is probably a decent guess.

Edit: They're all major question types though...just learn them all. What kind of thread is this? :?

ERPM

Postby ERPM » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:05 pm

Thanks. I guess you are right, I should just study all of them.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:06 pm

ERPM wrote:Thanks. I guess you are right, I should just study all of them.

Buy the Powerscore LR Bible if you haven't already and go through it cover to cover. If you still have questions then come back and we can help you out :).

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:10 pm

Hey did anyone make or buy LG flashcards? I'm almost finished with the bible but I was thinking about going back and making flashcards and was just wondering if that would be a waste of time or if anybody thought that it helped them.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:12 pm

Knockglock wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

5-9 assumption questions? :shock:. You realize there are only like 25 questions in your average LR section, right. You're over estimating. I think 3-4 assumption questions a test is probably a decent guess.

Edit: They're all major question types though...just learn them all. What kind of thread is this? :?

I'm talking about the two LR sections combined.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:12 pm

naterj wrote:Hey did anyone make or buy LG flashcards? I'm almost finished with the bible but I was thinking about going back and making flashcards and was just wondering if that would be a waste of time or if anybody thought that it helped them.

It might be worth it if you don't have PS' system down yet. Personally, I would just do games and you should pick up the symbols really quickly. You should just re-do the games from the LG Bible starting with basic linear until you feel pretty comfortable with the diagramming.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:12 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
Knockglock wrote:I wouldn't say assumption is one of the most frequent ones. If I'd had to guess, maybe Flaw? It doesn't really matter, they're all on there, and you need to learn them all.

I'm talking about the two LR sections combined.

Ah gotcha, a little mis-communication. Yeah 5-9 is probably a good guess for the 2 LR sections then.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:15 pm

According to TM, assumption questions are the most frequent. They broke down the historical data with a pie chart.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:15 pm

Knockglock wrote:
naterj wrote:Hey did anyone make or buy LG flashcards? I'm almost finished with the bible but I was thinking about going back and making flashcards and was just wondering if that would be a waste of time or if anybody thought that it helped them.

It might be worth it if you don't have PS' system down yet. Personally, I would just do games and you should pick up the symbols really quickly. You should just re-do the games from the LG Bible starting with basic linear until you feel pretty comfortable with the diagramming.

Sorry I meant flashcards for LR, to memorize question types and all that good stuff. What do you think about that?

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:31 pm

naterj wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

Sorry I meant flashcards for LR, to memorize question types and all that good stuff. What do you think about that?

write your own... that will also help with the memorization

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:54 pm

sophia.olive wrote:
naterj wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

Yeah that's what I was planning on doing, I was just wondering if it's worth the trouble since we're like a month and a half from Oct. LSAT, or if my time would be better spent just doing PT's. I can probably find time to do both though.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:57 pm

naterj wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:
naterj wrote:
Knockglock wrote:It might be worth it if you don't have PS' system down yet. Personally, I would just do games and you should pick up the symbols really quickly. You should just re-do the games from the LG Bible starting with basic linear until you feel pretty comfortable with the diagramming.

Yeah that's what I was planning on doing, I was just wondering if it's worth the trouble since we're like a month and a half from Oct. LSAT, or if my time would be better spent just doing PT's. I can probably find time to do both though.

Personally, I don't know how helpful flashcards would be for LR. I would spend my time doing PT's, or practice LR sections. The diagramming is pretty easy for LR, just make sure you know you're formal logic and conditional statements. I wouldn't worry yourself too much about learning question types, personally. Although I probably couldn't tell you by the official Powerscore name what each type of question is, I recognize what type they are and what kind of answer i'm looking for and will be credited.

Justiceinbrothel

Postby Justiceinbrothel » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:25 am

The most common types:

-Argument between Doctor and patient's wife
-Environmental controversies
-regular debates

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:30 am

Justiceinbrothel wrote:The most common types:

-regular debates

Haha, I like how you think. Don't forget dinosaurs, oil spills, and African-American poets.

Justiceinbrothel

Postby Justiceinbrothel » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:32 am

Knockglock wrote:
Justiceinbrothel wrote:The most common types:

-regular debates

Haha, I like how you think. Don't forget dinosaurs, oil spills, and African-American poets.

Those are more common in RC.

zanzbar

Postby zanzbar » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:15 am

Over the last month I took Prep Tests 56-59 through Kaplan and I have the break down of types of problems and how many there are of each on the test. The big 4 are definitely Assumption, Flaw, Inference, and Strengthen/Weaken, while Principle is big on some tests and weaker in others.

Prep Test 56
Assumption-7
Flaw-9
Inference-6
Strengthen/Weaken-7
Principle-6

Prep Test 57
Assumption-6
Flaw-9
Inference-7
Strengthen/Weaken-9
Principle-5

Prep Test 58
Assumption-12
Flaw-7
Inference-7
Strengthen/Weaken-6
Principle-7

Prep Test 59
Assumption-7
Flaw-10
Inference-7
Strengthen/Weaken-9
Principle-4

Hope this helps

jr1886

Postby jr1886 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:53 am

zanzbar wrote:Over the last month I took Prep Tests 56-59 through Kaplan and I have the break down of types of problems and how many there are of each on the test. The big 4 are definitely Assumption, Flaw, Inference, and Strengthen/Weaken, while Principle is big on some tests and weaker in others.

Prep Test 56
Assumption-7
Flaw-9
Inference-6
Strengthen/Weaken-7
Principle-6

Prep Test 57
Assumption-6
Flaw-9
Inference-7
Strengthen/Weaken-9
Principle-5

Prep Test 58
Assumption-12
Flaw-7
Inference-7
Strengthen/Weaken-6
Principle-7

Prep Test 59
Assumption-7
Flaw-10
Inference-7
Strengthen/Weaken-9
Principle-4

Hope this helps

I have classified all Logical reasoning by types according to PS's classification method from PT 7-38 and I agree with you. These are the big four. If OP wants my spreadsheet i can send it to him/her.
The least commons are easier to rank: Evaluate the argument < Cannot be true<Point at issue< Justify<Main point<Paradox. And the rule of thumb for Parallel questions is that there is almost always two per each section of LR. So in a test, be prepared to encounter four parallel questions

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:02 am

jr1886 wrote:
zanzbar wrote:Over the last month I took Prep Tests 56-59 through Kaplan and I have the break down of types of problems and how many there are of each on the test. The big 4 are definitely Assumption, Flaw, Inference, and Strengthen/Weaken, while Principle is big on some tests and weaker in others.

Prep Test 56
Assumption-7
Flaw-9
Inference-6
Strengthen/Weaken-7
Principle-6

Prep Test 57
Assumption-6
Flaw-9
Inference-7
Strengthen/Weaken-9
Principle-5

Prep Test 58
Assumption-12
Flaw-7
Inference-7
Strengthen/Weaken-6
Principle-7

Prep Test 59
Assumption-7
Flaw-10
Inference-7
Strengthen/Weaken-9
Principle-4

Hope this helps

I have classified all Logical reasoning by types according to PS's classification method from PT 7-38 and I agree with you. These are the big four. If OP wants my spreadsheet i can send it to him/her.
The least commons are easier to rank: Evaluate the argument < Cannot be true<Point at issue< Justify<Main point<Paradox. And the rule of thumb for Parallel questions is that there is almost always two per each section of LR. So in a test, be prepared to encounter four parallel questions

I stand corrected. Apologies to the previous poster.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”