PT 13, LR2, #5 Must Be True

hankypanky

PT 13, LR2, #5 Must Be True

Postby hankypanky » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:11 pm

I dunno why this is a #5 question -- I've found it really difficult. Where in the stimulus does it say that some very cold planetary bodies have cores that generate enough heat to cause volcanic action?

And while we're at it -- PT 15, LR1, #12

I'm completely lost on this one. Out of about 75 Must be True question, I got about 12 wrong, these two being the only ones that I still can't figure out after seeing the correct answer. Does this happen to anybody else?

futurelawstudent1

Re: PT 13, LR2, #5 Must Be True

Postby futurelawstudent1 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:31 pm

hankypanky wrote:I dunno why this is a #5 question -- I've found it really difficult. Where in the stimulus does it say that some very cold planetary bodies have cores that generate enough heat to cause volcanic action?

I'm completely lost on this one. Out of about 75 Must be True question, I got about 12 wrong, these two being the only ones that I still can't figure out after seeing the correct answer. Does this happen to anybody else?

Here's my explanation for the first one:

The stimulus says that any planetary body without a core that is hot enough to cause volcanic activity will eventually be pockmarked with craters. Since Europa isn't pockmarked with craters, it must have a core that is hot enough to cause volcanic activity. Thus, at least one very cold planetary body -- Europa -- must have a core that is hot enough to cause volcanic activity. which is what E says.

And the second:

Zeolite changes from yellow to black only when polypyrroles are formed on or in it. Since the zeolite in the experiment changed from yellow to black, polypyrroles must have formed on or in it, which is what C says.

I'm guessing that you misinterpreted the third sentence of the stimulus. It says that polypyrrole formation is necessary for zeolite to change from yellow to black, not sufficient.

Justiceinbrothel

Re: PT 13, LR2, #5 Must Be True

Postby Justiceinbrothel » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:23 am

futurelawstudent1 wrote:
hankypanky wrote:I dunno why this is a #5 question -- I've found it really difficult. Where in the stimulus does it say that some very cold planetary bodies have cores that generate enough heat to cause volcanic action?

Here's my explanation for the first one:

The stimulus says that any planetary body without a core that is hot enough to cause volcanic activity will eventually be pockmarked with craters. Since Europa isn't pockmarked with craters, it must have a core that is hot enough to cause volcanic activity. Thus, at least one very cold planetary body -- Europa -- must have a core that is hot enough to cause volcanic activity. which is what E says.

And the second:

Zeolite changes from yellow to black only when polypyrroles are formed on or in it. Since the zeolite in the experiment changed from yellow to black, polypyrroles must have formed on or in it, which is what C says.

I'm guessing that you misinterpreted the third sentence of the stimulus. It says that polypyrrole formation is necessary for zeolite to change from yellow to black, not sufficient.

The difference of necessary versus sufficient is the crux.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”