LSAT Studying / issues with LR's

PinkFloydPerson

LSAT Studying / issues with LR's

Postby PinkFloydPerson » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:55 am

On the practice tests I get the logic games every time- I am confident I can get a near perfect score on them. I'm glad that section came together. As far as the analytical reasoning, I normally get 5-8 wrong out of the 27. I don't study this section very much.

I focus on the 2 LR sections because..

I consistently get -7 to -10 on EACH section.
I took my friends June 2010 she D/L'd from LSAC under simulation conditions, got -1 on games, -6 on AR, and -7 and -9 on each of the LRs.

I have been studying 3-6 hours every day at work this summer, taking breaks on weekends. I have done 14/30 practice tests so far.

I feel stuck at the low 160's and am trying my best to stop getting discouraged. I will get a great score if I can improve on the LR sections. Sometimes I think I need to let my mind rest more, and also I think I need to start working smarter and not harder (reading how to do them & strats vs. doing them over and over). Suggestions for improving LR?

lifestooquick

Re: LSAT Studying / issues with LR's

Postby lifestooquick » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:59 am

Read the Logical Reasoning Bible.

Are you reviewing each section thoroughly and analyzing what types of problems you're getting wrong and why? That can be really helpful because you'll start to see patterns and know where you need to focus you're studying.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:59 am

I'm with you. My games are getting better, and my RC is slowly coming together. But, my LR is still not there due to timing argh.

PinkFloydPerson

Postby PinkFloydPerson » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:21 am

lifestooquick wrote:Read the Logical Reasoning Bible.

Are you reviewing each section thoroughly and analyzing what types of problems you're getting wrong and why? That can be really helpful because you'll start to see patterns and know where you need to focus you're studying.

My very next step. I just got the games bible but recently everything clicked with the LG's. The question about "which order can be" I solve, write it out, and quickly write other permutations which come together quickly. Then when questions ask "what is possible, can be, etc" I can cross out at least 3, make a few new permutations to solve that question, and the rest are cake. With that strategy, it seems that the LG's are defeatable on a universal level. So my point is I should have ordered the LR bible instead :lol:

PinkFloydPerson

Postby PinkFloydPerson » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:29 am

lifestooquick wrote:Are you reviewing each section thoroughly and analyzing what types of problems you're getting wrong and why? That can be really helpful because you'll start to see patterns and know where you need to focus you're studying.

Yes. But I think I am trying to take to take it too much at once. I am reviewing, but in that regard, it's mostly paralysis by analysis (overanalyzing questions yielding concrete rules which later prove not really concrete). Or maybe it's i'm just overcramming and being burned out; not really learning anything. Since I've been studying so hard I have been having some obsurd dreams, and not just that, I am remembering most of them (when is the last time you completely remembered all the details of 6 dreams within the last month?) 8)

albanach

Postby albanach » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:45 pm

jaydizzle wrote:I'm with you. My games are getting better, and my RC is slowly coming together. But, my LR is still not there due to timing argh.

How far off are you in timing?

Are you managing the first fifteen in around fifteen minutes? The first fifteen are invariably shorter and more straightforward, with paraphrasing you can get a lot of the answers very quickly.

Once you can achieve that, then you have 2 minutes per question for the last ten which are usually more challenging.

am060459

Postby am060459 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:49 pm

you should focus on increasing your accuracy. also look to see if your having any specific problems with certain question types.

the first 10-15 question in each LR sections are relatively easy. you shouldnt have more than 3 mistakes (thats being generous by some peoples standards).

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:10 pm

albanach wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:I'm with you. My games are getting better, and my RC is slowly coming together. But, my LR is still not there due to timing argh.

How far off are you in timing?

Are you managing the first fifteen in around fifteen minutes? The first fifteen are invariably shorter and more straightforward, with paraphrasing you can get a lot of the answers very quickly.

Once you can achieve that, then you have 2 minutes per question for the last ten which are usually more challenging.

I really need to do this. I am trying. I usually don't get to about 4-6 LR questions due to spending too much time (this is per section).

Almost all my misses come in the 15-26 range. I have been a moron lately and got questions wrong in the first 15. Reading comp is a worse struggle for timing right now. God, everything is a struggle timing wise. I need to get my shit in gear for October.

PinkFloydPerson

Postby PinkFloydPerson » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:35 pm

You'll be fine, just DON'T lose hope or succumb to dread. There is 50 days left before we go live.

pkpop

Postby pkpop » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:49 pm

Also I know it might not be exactly what you want to hear, but the timing part should not be too much of a concern right now. There is absolutely no point in worrying about finishing on time when you're getting a bunch wrong. The posters above talking about identifying your weaknesses are absolutely right. What question types are you messing up on? What is it about the wrong answers that are drawing you to them. Those are the things you should focus on right now, timing will come later once your accuracy improves.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:06 pm

pkpop wrote:Also I know it might not be exactly what you want to hear, but the timing part should not be too much of a concern right now. There is absolutely no point in worrying about finishing on time when you're getting a bunch wrong. The posters above talking about identifying your weaknesses are absolutely right. What question types are you messing up on? What is it about the wrong answers that are drawing you to them. Those are the things you should focus on right now, timing will come later once your accuracy improves.

My accuracy is fairly good though. I am going to read through the LRB starting today. I haven't done this since I figured all these companies had almost the same methods. I am finding tidbits of additional information that is helpful. I am going to memorize all the premise indicator words and conclusion words to speed myself up. Almost all my misses in any of the sections are towards the tail end where I do not have enough time to properly answer the questions.

PinkFloydPerson

Postby PinkFloydPerson » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:31 pm

Totally hijacked.

Justiceinbrothel

Postby Justiceinbrothel » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:28 am

PinkFloydPerson wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:Are you reviewing each section thoroughly and analyzing what types of problems you're getting wrong and why? That can be really helpful because you'll start to see patterns and know where you need to focus you're studying.

Yes. But I think I am trying to take to take it too much at once. I am reviewing, but in that regard, it's mostly paralysis by analysis (overanalyzing questions yielding concrete rules which later prove not really concrete). Or maybe it's i'm just overcramming and being burned out; not really learning anything. Since I've been studying so hard I have been having some obsurd dreams, and not just that, I am remembering most of them (when is the last time you completely remembered all the details of 6 dreams within the last month?) 8)

Don't blame LSAT for your dreams. LSAT does not effect your dreams.

PinkFloydPerson

Postby PinkFloydPerson » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:39 pm

Justiceinbrothel wrote:
PinkFloydPerson wrote:

Don't blame LSAT for your dreams. LSAT does not effect your dreams.

Why not? You don't know me 8)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”