3rd time taking the LSAT?

pseudonym1

3rd time taking the LSAT?

Postby pseudonym1 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:26 am

Actually, I have only "taken" the LSAT once. However, I was absent last September, and I plan on taking the lsat again this October. I just recently noticed that LSAT seems to have a "general" rule that one cannot take the LSAT more than three times. So, I'm wondering where that places me. I was absent in Sept. 09, sat for the June 2010 test, and plan on taking again in October. Could this possibly be the last shot I have at the LSAT, having actually "sat" for the test once?

kazu

Re: 3rd time taking the LSAT?

Postby kazu » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:31 am

I'm pretty sure absent doesn't count towards your total count, while "cancel" does count.

Even if this is your last shot, you can take it a 4th time if a law school supports your request. I've heard that it's pretty easy to get a school to do so as well.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:35 am

Directly from LSAC:

Normally, you may not take the LSAT more than three times in any two-year period. This policy applies even if you cancel your score or it is not otherwise reported. LSAC reserves the right to cancel your registration, rescind your admission ticket, or take any other steps necessary to enforce this policy. However, you may retake the LSAT if a law school to which you are applying requires a more recent score than any you have on record or approves your retaking the test, and the school provides LSAC with written proof of its requirements or approval no later than the last day of registration for the test.

albanach

Postby albanach » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:37 am

kazu wrote:I'm pretty sure absent doesn't count towards your total count, while "cancel" does count.

That is correct.

amkid100

Postby amkid100 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:34 pm

kazu wrote:Even if this is your last shot, you can take it a 4th time if a law school supports your request. I've heard that it's pretty easy to get a school to do so as well.

This is correct - one of my good friends took it more than 3 times. she emailed UCLA simply saying that she wanted to take it a fourth time (no explanation needed) and they faxed a request to LSAC. UCLA said that they have a blanket policy of advocating on behalf of anyone who asks. I'm sure other law schools would do the same.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”