PrepTest 7 (untimed, june): 165
PrepTest 9 (untimed, june): 161
PrepTest 57 (timed, online, june): 152
PrepTest 10 (untimed, two days ago): 160
PrepTest 11 (timed, today): 155

Timed Average: 154
Untimed Average: 162

Goal: 175+ <-----maybe, possibly a pipe dream, if not, at least a 172

I was pretty sure your PrepTest scores are supposed to trend up, not down. WTF. Maybe it has something to do with having moved twice in three months. I'm going through the Powerscore books (started a week or two ago) and I'm taking a class online starting october, and the real thing is in December (or February if I don't feel ready). I should probably defer until February.

Seriously, juggling a full time job (albeit one that's not that demanding) and LSAT prep sucks. Maybe I should just give up on life.
Last edited by motiontodismiss on Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

alexost

Re: I'm doomed. Save me. (+LSAT Prep rant)

Postby alexost » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:08 am

I know how you feel. Full-time course load, job, and other organizations make it difficult to fully concentrate on the prep course. I just do it though. Don't think about how bogged down you are. "The gent who wakes up and finds himself a success hasn’t been asleep."

afa_brandon

Postby afa_brandon » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:09 am

motiontodismiss wrote:PrepTest 36 (timed, march): 155

I was pretty sure your PrepTest scores are supposed to trend up, not down. WTF. Maybe it has something to do with having moved twice in three months. I'm going through the Powerscore books (started a week or two ago) and I'm taking a class online starting october, and the real thing is in December (or February if I don't feel ready). I should probably defer until February.

Seriously, juggling a full time job (albeit one that's not that demanding) and LSAT prep sucks. Maybe I should just give up on life.

While I understand the woes of full time work and LSAT prep, it seems your prep is pretty infrequent and disjointed. Bouncing between timed and untimed, skipping whole months of prep-testing, makes it so these numbers arguably aren't even a "trend."

If you want to break 170, you need a rigorous plan. This will also help balance your time. Also, finish the PowerScore books (at least LR and LG) BEFORE you take any more full tests. I understand it's tempting to see how you did, but giving into temptation isn't going to get you into the 97th %+,

tl;dr version:

1. Stop taking PTs and finish the PS books
2. Don't take PTs sporadically
3. Get a plan and stick to it.

oh, and this isn't to say that you can't take sections by themselves to complement the PS books. in fact i recommend doing just that with early PTs. Once you make your plan figure out how many PTs you'll have time to take, then count backwards from 60. Add a few more just in case and then use the rest for sectioned practice.

kazu

Postby kazu » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:11 am

The earlier ones are usually easier in terms of LR/RC, which may account for the score discrepancies. Especially since the early ones you've taken are *really* early.

Don't give up! I know it can get really, really discouraging but if you keep putting in the effort the results will show. Plus there's plenty of time until December.

albanach

Postby albanach » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:22 am

You need accuracy first before hammering down the timing. Even your best untimed score is getting about 17 wrong. Your timed scores are doubling the number you're getting wrong.

You can do this, but first you need to master the concepts. Complete the bibles, then drag your untimed scores up into the 170s. Once you achieve that, start reducing the time until you're completing each section in <35mins while maintaining accuracy.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:05 am

Thanks everyone for the encouragement, I just needed to hear that, and not from a $100/hour therapist :mrgreen:

I'm working through the LR Bible now but what's the optimal way to get through the series? The rumor mill says one should start with Games, then LR, then RC, but I figured since I scored lowest on LR on PT57 I'd start with that. Now I'm starting to think maybe that's a mistake.

kazu

Postby kazu » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:15 am

motiontodismiss wrote:Thanks everyone for the encouragement, I just needed to hear that, and not from a $100/hour therapist :mrgreen:

I'm working through the LR Bible now but what's the optimal way to get through the series? The rumor mill says one should start with Games, then LR, then RC, but I figured since I scored lowest on LR on PT57 I'd start with that. Now I'm starting to think maybe that's a mistake.

I did them both together & didn't do the RC, but I don't think the order will matter much. Maybe other people will think differently?

albanach

Postby albanach » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:36 am

Assuming you are not weak in a single area, I think you can work on both LR and LG bibles at the same time. I haven't worked through the RC bible so am less sure of its worth. If you have it and have the time, you can work on all three.

afa_brandon

Postby afa_brandon » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:45 am

I would start with LG for one simple reason: this permits you to work on LG throughout the rest of your prep. You should absolutely be doing LGs every day until test day, even if only for 20 minutes. This will help you become intimately familiar with all of the tricks, methods and tactics of LSAC. The PS technique takes very little to master, but LGs can take quite a long time.

I wish that I'd taken this advice during my prep, I'd have definitely scored 173+.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:31 am

I prepped while working full time and I would say definitely have a plan and stick to it! Also, don't get caught up in overplanning and focus too much on how to study instead of actually studying (I did that a bit) because of working, there's just less studying time - make sure you're using it wisely.

As far as where to start - start where you are weakest. I started with LG because that was the general consensus, but I was already strong on LG. I ended up not spending enough time on LR. Basically, I'm just saying be able to assess your strengths and weaknesses and base your studying around that, not necessarily a provided template.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:18 pm

I'm also preparing for the test around a full time job. Test prep in this condition can suck because your only option is to take PTs at night after work. On PT nights, I literally come home from work, take a PT, watch TV for an hour and go to bed. It sucks, but you have to deal with it. It's just how it is.

HOWEVER,

I think we may have an advantage over the others. Taking a PT after a full day of work is a good way to simulate fatigue.

twryan

Postby twryan » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:56 pm

3|ink wrote:

I'm also preparing for the test around a full time job. Test prep in this condition can suck because your only option is to take PTs at night after work. On PT nights, I literally come home from work, take a PT, watch TV for an hour and go to bed. It sucks, but you have to deal with it. It's just how it is.

HOWEVER,

I think we may have an advantage over the others. Taking a PT after a full day of work is a good way to simulate fatigue.

+1 I'm in the same boat fellas...I just did that exact routine yesterday after getting off work. It's not fun but I think we all realize that we are going to have to make some sacrifices in order to succeed. I'm essentially PTing every other day and thoroughly reviewing on off days until October test day. I'm all in...

Lafakad

Postby Lafakad » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:52 pm

twryan wrote:
3|ink wrote:

HOWEVER,

+1 I'm in the same boat fellas...I just did that exact routine yesterday after getting off work. It's not fun but I think we all realize that we are going to have to make some sacrifices in order to succeed. I'm essentially PTing every other day and thoroughly reviewing on off days until October test day. I'm all in...

I'm in on this thread. Im about the same level as the OP and want the same results. Going to bust my ass the next 49 days!

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:52 pm

You might want to skip the october LSAT. I've never seen someone jump from low to mid 150's to 170 when they have already been studying for at least a month.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:30 am

I always get -3 or -5 on LG. On every bloody PrepTest. LR Variance is greater (between -6 and -12 :shock: ). RC is always between -6 and -9. I was probably right to start with LR.

On the bright side, I'm set for TTTT :lol: :lol: :lol: okay that's so not funny.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:34 am

motiontodismiss wrote:I always get -3 or -5 on LG. On every bloody PrepTest. LR Variance is greater (between -6 and -12 :shock: ). RC is always between -6 and -9. I was probably right to start with LR.

On the bright side, I'm set for TTTT :lol: :lol: :lol: okay that's so not funny.

A positive attitude never hurt!

Justiceinbrothel

Postby Justiceinbrothel » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:13 am

This is an average gap between dream and reality. You need more practice perhaps untimed tests so you can actually find out the area you need most work.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:20 am

^ I think that would be....um....everywhere. I seem to score consistently the best in LG and consistently the worst in LR.

Okay, so I gave myself 2 weeks to finish the half of the LR Bible I have left, the LG and RC bibles. Realistic? Probably not....

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:29 am

Ok since it seems to be all the rage on here, might as well turn this into a progress diary.

Finished LG and LR Bibles, started the RC bible.
Untimed sections for LG down to -2 and below (-1 and -2).
Untimed sections for LR down to -5 and below (-3/-4 and -4/-5)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”