Foreigner cracking LSAT in 3 months? please help...

northkitty

Foreigner cracking LSAT in 3 months? please help...

Postby northkitty » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:02 am

Hey guys, new to the board here and am going to take the Dec LSAT in HongKong.
I'm a native Chinese-been to the States for 2 years when I was 9, so you can safely say that an American accent was pretty much all I picked up in terms of the English language. I guess it can't be stressed too much how hard it is for a foreigner to actually read and understand LSAT problems, let alone doing them under strict time limit. My classmates started preparing 1.5-2 yrs prior to their real test (yea I know, hardcore Asian learning style=.=), for about 1-2 hrs per day, but all got around 160 or so, which is quite disappointing when you've pushed so hard for a 170+.
I have 3 months to start from scratch, along with:
Powerscore RC, LR, Games bibles
roughly 40 preptests
the internet's full resources, I guess?

Do I need any more material to prepare? And aside from the famous Economist, what are some things I can read to improve RC? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated and feel free to PM me. :D

btw, if I submit everything else (LOR, PS, CV, etc.) in mid-Oct and take the Dec LSAT, will it work better than if I wait for the Dec scores to come out and then send the complete package?

kazu

Re: Foreigner cracking LSAT in 3 months? please help...

Postby kazu » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:06 am

northkitty wrote:btw, if I submit everything else (LOR, PS, CV, etc.) in mid-Oct and take the Dec LSAT, will it work better than if I wait for the Dec scores to come out and then send the complete package?

It'll be better if you wait a year and send it in early next cycle... (Sept~Nov).

December scores come out early January, which will make your app really late for this cycle, even if you have everything else submitted processed & ready to go. January/February applicants are at a pretty noticeable disadvantage concerning admittances/scholarships.

downing

Postby downing » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:50 am

Skip the study for 3 months plan. Probably won't work. Wait a year.

northkitty

Postby northkitty » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:30 pm

to kazu:thanks for the advice. I know a couple guys who took the December test, applied in Febuary, and received admissions from T14 schools pretty late(late April->August), though not sure whether they received scholarship. Are all scholarships given on a rolling basis?

to downing: thanks for your straightforwardness. Though why, if I may ask? Because of the disadvantage in applying, or because of the difficulty of the LSAT itself?

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:34 pm

northkitty wrote:to kazu:thanks for the advice. I know a couple guys who took the December test, applied in Febuary, and received admissions from T14 schools pretty late(late April->August), though not sure whether they received scholarship. Are all scholarships given on a rolling basis?

to downing: thanks for your straightforwardness. Though why, if I may ask? Because of the disadvantage in applying, or because of the difficulty of the LSAT itself?

If English was you're first language I would say 3-2 months is optimal for preparing for the LSAT.

But you admit English being your 2nd language makes it difficult for you to perform under strict time pressure. This probably is why you might need more time to adjust until you are not only comfortable reading the LSAT but confident in comprehending it under time pressure (especially since you are aiming for a 170+).

northkitty

Postby northkitty » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:46 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
If English was you're first language I would say 3-2 months is optimal for preparing for the LSAT.

But you admit English being your 2nd language makes it difficult for you to perform under strict time pressure. This probably is why you might need more time to adjust until you are not only comfortable reading the LSAT but confident in comprehending it under time pressure (especially since you are aiming for a 170+).

whymeohgodno, thanks~
can I ask what it felt like for you when you did your first set of LR questions? Did you finish the 25 questions within the time limit, and what was the difficult part for you (e.g.twist of words or time pressure)? Right now I've just done 1 set of LR w/timing just to see if I might be okay with 3 months. in 35 minutes, there was 2 questions left undone and 2 wrong answers. Is that normal for an average first-timer?
btw I love your name :)

Justiceinbrothel

Postby Justiceinbrothel » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:53 pm

northkitty wrote:Hey guys, new to the board here and am going to take the Dec LSAT in HongKong.
I'm a native Chinese-been to the States for 2 years when I was 9, so you can safely say that an American accent was pretty much all I picked up in terms of the English language. I guess it can't be stressed too much how hard it is for a foreigner to actually read and understand LSAT problems, let alone doing them under strict time limit. My classmates started preparing 1.5-2 yrs prior to their real test (yea I know, hardcore Asian learning style=.=), for about 1-2 hrs per day, but all got around 160 or so, which is quite disappointing when you've pushed so hard for a 170+.
roughly 40 preptests

Do I need any more material to prepare? And aside from the famous Economist, what are some things I can read to improve RC? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated and feel free to PM me. :D

btw, if I submit everything else (LOR, PS, CV, etc.) in mid-Oct and take the Dec LSAT, will it work better than if I wait for the Dec scores to come out and then send the complete package?

Let me ask you native chinese what future do you see as a law graduate in US as a non-US citizen? Do you know any law firm who will file H1B for you? Or your law school budget is 800,000 Yuan which equals to 100,000$ because 1 USD is equal to 8 yuan. How your employer will file a work visa petition before USCIS and DHS saying that Law firm doesn't have enough American Law Graduates who can be attorney and that's why we need this Chinaman. What is your exact plan? What is your status? Are you permanent resident?

US does not need more of those who are already plenty here. Why do you want to deliver pizza with Juris Doctor Degree? By the way United States is not the place for educated immigrants. You have to be completely homelss type refugee only then you can feel as a successful one in USA.
Last edited by Justiceinbrothel on Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:56 pm

northkitty wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

whymeohgodno, thanks~
can I ask what it felt like for you when you did your first set of LR questions? Did you finish the 25 questions within the time limit, and what was the difficult part for you (e.g.twist of words or time pressure)? Right now I've just done 1 set of LR w/timing just to see if I might be okay with 3 months. in 35 minutes, there was 2 questions left undone and 2 wrong answers. Is that normal for an average first-timer?

That's a really great first LR section. I had to guess on some questions the first time I took the diagnostic but now I finish on time.

You really should buy the LR Powerscores Bible. Read it through and through. Understand and be able to recognize question type the moment you finish reading the question.

I've found that reading the question stem first helps with timing because I know exactly what type of information to look for when I read the question.

From your LR section, I don't think you should have any trouble getting timing/accuracy down within 3 months. -4 on LR on a diagnostic is fantastic.

You should probably take a RC section though. That's the section that's the hardest to improve on both timing and accuracy wise. It's the hardest to improve and I think it will be the most taxing if you aren't confident on your English skills.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:09 am

Justiceinbrothel wrote:
northkitty wrote:Hey guys, new to the board here and am going to take the Dec LSAT in HongKong.
roughly 40 preptests

Let me ask you native chinese what future do you see as a law graduate in US as a non-US citizen? Do you know any law firm who will file H1B for you? Or your law school budget is 800,000 Yuan which equals to 100,000$ because 1 USD is equal to 8 yuan. How your employer will file a work visa petition before USCIS and DHS saying that Law firm doesn't have enough American Law Graduates who can be attorney and that's why we need this Chinaman. What is your exact plan? What is your status? Are you permanent resident?

US does not need more of those who are already plenty here. Why do you want to deliver pizza with Juris Doctor Degree? By the way United States is not the place for educated immigrants. You have to be completely homelss type refugee only then you can feel as a successful one in USA.

Wrong forum dude, take it to Legal Employment.

Justiceinbrothel

Postby Justiceinbrothel » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:11 am

motiontodismiss wrote:
Justiceinbrothel wrote:
roughly 40 preptests

Wrong forum dude, take it to Legal Employment.

Actually context became a little wider.

gtang_hls13

Postby gtang_hls13 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:13 am

Justiceinbrothel wrote:
roughly 40 preptests

why on earth is this guy not banned yet?
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=123249&p=3196791#p3196791
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=92951&p=3257634#p3257634
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=123251&p=3196809#p3196809
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=123248&p=3196752#p3196752
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=121900&p=3174412#p3174412
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=121900&p=3155507#p3155507

northkitty

Postby northkitty » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:19 am

Justiceinbrothel wrote:Let me ask you native chinese what future do you see as a law graduate in US as a non-US citizen? Do you know any law firm who will file H1B for you? Or your law school budget is 800,000 Yuan which equals to 100,000$ because 1 USD is equal to 8 yuan. How your employer will file a work visa petition before USCIS and DHS saying that Law firm doesn't have enough American Law Graduates who can be attorney and that's why we need this Chinaman. What is your exact plan? What is your status? Are you permanent resident?

hi, first of all I'm going to make this as friendly as possible, notwithstanding your obvious attitude shown.
My exact plan, if I'm following the law school route-like most of you on this board I guess. law school-firm-switch to in-house counsel around 5-6 years later-maybe move on to other plans or other career route as I also have interest in other professions.
Am I permanent resident-no. I'm a typical international student.
Why would a US firm hire me, or any Chinese, for that matter-because a number of firms have offices in other parts of the world, if you cared to notice. These branch offices hire Chinese attorneys for their mastery of Chinese, proficiency in English, and their connections in China. I've interned in the Beijing office of 2 biglaw firms, and at least from what I've seen all but 1 attorneys in total are Chinese.
And regarding the law school budget-I can only do what everyone does-go for a scholarship, or, without that, try a loan and pay it back after work. Also, the exchange rate of USD:RMB is around 6.8 now, but thanks for mentioning anyway.
just curious, I get the feeling that you're not a native american either from your writing. so why the hostility?

Justiceinbrothel

Postby Justiceinbrothel » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:20 am

gtang_hls13 wrote:
Justiceinbrothel wrote:
roughly 40 preptests

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=123249&p=3196791#p3196791
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=92951&p=3257634#p3257634
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=123251&p=3196809#p3196809
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=123248&p=3196752#p3196752
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=121900&p=3174412#p3174412
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=121900&p=3155507#p3155507

Listen He li Tang!

You must preparing for IP laws or environmental laws because of your "Earthly" concern. I will complain to the manager of "Peking duck restraunt" and he will fire you. Because he is the one who run a intellectual property rights law firm and employs law grduates in his second business which is "Peking Duck"

northkitty

Postby northkitty » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:21 am

gtang_hls13 wrote:
Justiceinbrothel wrote:
roughly 40 preptests

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:21 am

northkitty wrote:
Justiceinbrothel wrote:Let me ask you native chinese what future do you see as a law graduate in US as a non-US citizen? Do you know any law firm who will file H1B for you? Or your law school budget is 800,000 Yuan which equals to 100,000$ because 1 USD is equal to 8 yuan. How your employer will file a work visa petition before USCIS and DHS saying that Law firm doesn't have enough American Law Graduates who can be attorney and that's why we need this Chinaman. What is your exact plan? What is your status? Are you permanent resident?

hi, first of all I'm going to make this as friendly as possible, notwithstanding your obvious attitude shown.
My exact plan, if I'm following the law school route-like most of you on this board I guess. law school-firm-switch to in-house counsel around 5-6 years later-maybe move on to other plans or other career route as I also have interest in other professions.
Why would a US firm hire me, or any Chinese, for that matter-because a number of firms have offices in other parts of the world, if you cared to notice. These branch offices hire Chinese attorneys for their mastery of Chinese, proficiency in English, and their connections in China. I've interned in the Beijing office of 2 biglaw firms, and at least from what I've seen all but 1 attorneys in total are Chinese.
And regarding the law school budget-I can only do what everyone does-go for a scholarship, or, without that, try a loan and pay it back after work. Also, the exchange rate of USD:RMB is around 6.8 now, but thanks for mentioning anyway.
just curious, I get the feeling that you're not a native american either from your writing. so why the hostility?

He's trolling. Just trying to see if anyone will bite and rant in order to feed his lulz.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:23 am

northkitty wrote:

You are SO feeding the troll. (okay I'm guilty of that too :mrgreen: )

Justiceinbrothel

Postby Justiceinbrothel » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:24 am

northkitty wrote:
gtang_hls13 wrote:
Justiceinbrothel wrote:
roughly 40 preptests

He is your brother actually. He put the ducks in oven and dreams for HLS.

northkitty

Postby northkitty » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:26 am

motiontodismiss wrote:
northkitty wrote:

my bad...*runs and hides away in shame*

Justiceinbrothel

Postby Justiceinbrothel » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:39 am

northkitty wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
northkitty wrote:

my bad...*runs and hides away in shame*

Why do you feel that in long run American law firms will stay in Hongkong and keep hiring Chinese attorneys? What will happen when you have to get another Chinese law degree to practice law in your country? Dies this makes sense that to be a Chinese Lawyer you first get American Law Degree just for those Boutique law firms who happen to be in China because of current global economic model and then to practice in your own country you need another law degree? Or your country has same hype as mostly third world nations have which is that Lawyers having American JD degree are allowed to practice as local attorney?

northkitty

Postby northkitty » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:32 am

Justiceinbrothel wrote:Why do you feel that in long run American law firms will stay in Hongkong and keep hiring Chinese attorneys? What will happen when you have to get another Chinese law degree to practice law in your country? Dies this makes sense that to be a Chinese Lawyer you first get American Law Degree just for those Boutique law firms who happen to be in China because of current global economic model and then to practice in your own country you need another law degree? Or your country has same hype as mostly third world nations have which is that Lawyers having American JD degree are allowed to practice as local attorney?

i really shouldn't be feeding you after the warning but it's disturbing when one is full of bs without evidence. please do a little research and you might find that lawyers in a US firm cannot do litigation work in China, nor are they allowed to give legal opinions regarding Chinese laws. Their work deals mainly with US law and therefore, whether you like it or not, a JD degree actually retains its value. There will be employees who have passed the Chinese bar to provide help with local law.

this is the last time I'm returning your post. given your ignorance about the market and world in general, yet lack legal experience to back you up, i suggest taking your rant elsewhere so the rest of us can stay on the original topic. thanks.

Justiceinbrothel

Postby Justiceinbrothel » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:39 am

don't you think china based ninja that you are trying to establish the value of American JD degree without any specific or core purpose. If US Law firms can't do anything in China then what a non-US citizen will do with American Law Degree? that is the point. Just because a degree has value doesn't mean that you ought to do. Why not do a degree in American Literature after all it will also has some value indirectly, invisibily, unrelatedly just a "value". Hopefully a statue of Virginia Wolf next to Xiang li XI.

northkitty

Postby northkitty » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:40 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
northkitty wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

whymeohgodno, thanks~

That's a really great first LR section. I had to guess on some questions the first time I took the diagnostic but now I finish on time.

You really should buy the LR Powerscores Bible. Read it through and through. Understand and be able to recognize question type the moment you finish reading the question.

I've found that reading the question stem first helps with timing because I know exactly what type of information to look for when I read the question.

From your LR section, I don't think you should have any trouble getting timing/accuracy down within 3 months. -4 on LR on a diagnostic is fantastic.

You should probably take a RC section though. That's the section that's the hardest to improve on both timing and accuracy wise. It's the hardest to improve and I think it will be the most taxing if you aren't confident on your English skills.

I have the Powerscores LRB at hand. Everyone here says it rocked so I'm confident it'll do me a lot good:)

and yeah...I've heard terrible things about RC so i chickened :P

will definitely pick up courage and get to it, though. Should I do any extra reading? Economist? Scientific American? reading legal contracts and agreements daily is already enough to bang head on wall~

jlhero

Postby jlhero » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:47 am

3 month is impossible.

i think you will need 6--9 months.

and you need to read A LOT

kazu

Postby kazu » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:33 am

northkitty wrote:to kazu:thanks for the advice. I know a couple guys who took the December test, applied in Febuary, and received admissions from T14 schools pretty late(late April->August), though not sure whether they received scholarship. Are all scholarships given on a rolling basis?

Scholarship money is given on a rolling basis - the later in the application cycle, the less money there is to hand out. Also, in January~February they've already given out a lot of admittances - I'd guess maybe around half of total, maybe more. There are interviews somewhere here where adcomms & deans of law schools have specifically stated that they are more generous with admittances early in the cycle - they are more willing to give the applicant the benefit of the doubt. If you go look at lawschoolnumbers.com, you'll see that for people with borderline numbers, early applicants are more likely to be admitted while late ones are more often waitlisted/rejected.

Honestly, waiting a year is nothing compared to the investment you are going to make. Depending on your LSAT this could mean the difference between going to a T6 and a lower T14 (not that MVPBDNGC are bad schools, but barring scholarship money CCN is definitely the better investment).

Also, it's very interesting how the troll always manages to locate and troll these type of posts. Wonder why s/he's so obsessed with this issue :roll:

northkitty

Postby northkitty » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:07 am

whymeohgodno, jlhero and kazu: i've just finished 1st PT under timing and ugh-only 155. The funny thing is i actually scored higher in RC than in LG, and LG is said to be the only section that asians are remotely good at... :shock:
kazu, does the guy have receptive antennaes stuck to his head, or did the word "foreigner" in the post title gave it away? 8) i'll just try to ignore him~

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”