Marijuana and LSAT Preparation

nStiver
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:15 am

Re: Marijuana and LSAT Preparation

Postby nStiver » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:13 pm

Just go to the test stoned. Smile now cry later.

PinkFloydPerson
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: Marijuana and LSAT Preparation

Postby PinkFloydPerson » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:26 pm

Knockglock wrote:but you should refrain from telling people that because they are applying for law school, they must


Nah man, thats good advice.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12331
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Marijuana and LSAT Preparation

Postby gdane » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:27 pm

Studies have shown that the chronic can increase your concentration and cognitive skills in the short term with sporadic use. So, its kind of like coffee.

User avatar
thinkbig
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Marijuana and LSAT Preparation

Postby thinkbig » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:19 am

gdane5 wrote:Studies have shown that the chronic can increase your concentration and cognitive skills in the short term with sporadic use. So, its kind of like coffee.


Which studies? Unless you can cite the research, I'll assume you were being sarcastic.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12331
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Marijuana and LSAT Preparation

Postby gdane » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:38 am

thinkbig wrote:
gdane5 wrote:Studies have shown that the chronic can increase your concentration and cognitive skills in the short term with sporadic use. So, its kind of like coffee.


Which studies? Unless you can cite the research, I'll assume you were being sarcastic.


http://www.psychosocial.com/IJPR_8/Mari ... enman.html

After reading please answer the following questions:

1) What was the author's purpose in writing these findings?
2) What would the author say to those that smoke Marijuana on a regular basis?
3) Did the author try and like the chronic?
4) If he/she did, did he/she like it? If not, why didnt he/she try it/like it?
5) What role did the final sentence fill in these findings?
6) Was this attempt at an LSAT RC passage annoying?

Justiceinbrothel
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: Marijuana and LSAT Preparation

Postby Justiceinbrothel » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:11 am

gdane5 wrote:
thinkbig wrote:
gdane5 wrote:Studies have shown that the chronic can increase your concentration and cognitive skills in the short term with sporadic use. So, its kind of like coffee.


Which studies? Unless you can cite the research, I'll assume you were being sarcastic.


http://www.psychosocial.com/IJPR_8/Mari ... enman.html

After reading please answer the following questions:

1) What was the author's purpose in writing these findings?
2) What would the author say to those that smoke Marijuana on a regular basis?
3) Did the author try and like the chronic?
4) If he/she did, did he/she like it? If not, why didnt he/she try it/like it?
5) What role did the final sentence fill in these findings?
6) Was this attempt at an LSAT RC passage annoying?

How these questions make any difference?

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: Marijuana and LSAT Preparation

Postby Deuce » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:47 am

thinkbig wrote:
gdane5 wrote:Studies have shown that the chronic can increase your concentration and cognitive skills in the short term with sporadic use. So, its kind of like coffee.


Which studies? Unless you can cite the research, I'll assume you were being sarcastic.


120.

champ33
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:34 pm

Re: Marijuana and LSAT Preparation

Postby champ33 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:10 pm

You're obviously not going to want to take the test high. Reading comp would probably be next to impossible to do well at. I think if you study a lot, and separate the studying from the smoking there is no problem. What you really need to do for the LSAT is get so used to taking the full timed test that you are very comfortable with it, if you build getting into that routine around smoking every so often it will be no different than anything else you build the routine around.

yezzir
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:00 am

Re: Marijuana and LSAT Preparation

Postby yezzir » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:12 pm

champ33 wrote:if you build getting into that routine around smoking every so often it will be no different than anything else you build the routine around.


not the best example, since smoking weed obviously has at least some sort of negative impact on cognitive function (coming from someone who smoked during all four years of undergrad). if someone were to replace all the weed-smoking with exercise (which can also serve the function of being a de-stressing activity) they'd almost assuredly be better off in the long run.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Marijuana and LSAT Preparation

Postby northwood » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:18 pm

id say that it depends on the individual. Only the OP knows their abilities and limitations when high. Take a test after not smoking for a couple of days, and see how you score. Take a test doing your normal thing, and compare your scores. You should see the answer for yourself.
However, if you really want to get stoned and need to in order to enjoy college, then why not wait a year to study and apply? Enjoy your last go around in UG, stay out of trouble then start studying after you graduate, if law is still what you want. Maybe you need some more time to enjoy the college lifestyle, and another year to get used to life after college.

steveypizza
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:43 am

Re: Marijuana and LSAT Preparation

Postby steveypizza » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:57 am

I'm like the OP, and I enjoy the therapeutic and creative effects of marijuana.
I took the June 2010 LSAT and scored a 164. I studied for a month, and smoked about 3-4 times/week during that month.
After traveling during July and August I started studying in September for the December LSAT. I study 5 days/week, and smoke about 7-9 times/week, usually at night to help me relax before bed, but also with friends on the weekend or if I'm at one of their places.
Though I cannot know, it is my opinion that smoking has had no effect on my ability to study and perform on the LSAT. I did an experiment where I tried an LG section after smoking a large joint, and it was not fun and I couldn't make it through the section.
However, since September I've been smoking 7-9 times/week, and my recent scores on my PT's have been 167, 172, and 168. I still have 7 weeks before the real deal, but have no plans to stop or slow down before the real thing. At this point it's a part of my routine, which also includes eating healthy, exercising, reading for pleasure, going through the Bibles, and all that other good stuff.
Everyone reacts differently to smoking, and I've smoked a lot more than most people, so don't follow my plan, it won't work for everyone. I do think its important to know that marijuana has no observable effects on some who are studying for the LSAT.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Marijuana and LSAT Preparation

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:13 am

steveypizza wrote:I'm like the OP, and I enjoy the therapeutic and creative effects of marijuana.
I took the June 2010 LSAT and scored a 164. I studied for a month, and smoked about 3-4 times/week during that month.
After traveling during July and August I started studying in September for the December LSAT. I study 5 days/week, and smoke about 7-9 times/week, usually at night to help me relax before bed, but also with friends on the weekend or if I'm at one of their places.
Though I cannot know, it is my opinion that smoking has had no effect on my ability to study and perform on the LSAT. I did an experiment where I tried an LG section after smoking a large joint, and it was not fun and I couldn't make it through the section.
However, since September I've been smoking 7-9 times/week, and my recent scores on my PT's have been 167, 172, and 168. I still have 7 weeks before the real deal, but have no plans to stop or slow down before the real thing. At this point it's a part of my routine, which also includes eating healthy, exercising, reading for pleasure, going through the Bibles, and all that other good stuff.
Everyone reacts differently to smoking, and I've smoked a lot more than most people, so don't follow my plan, it won't work for everyone. I do think its important to know that marijuana has no observable effects on some who are studying for the LSAT.

User avatar
MiamiUG
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:14 pm

Re: Marijuana and LSAT Preparation

Postby MiamiUG » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:20 am

No one has said this yet? Seriously? Guess it's gonna have to be me.

Study high
Take the test high
Get a high score

/

ChicagoRambler89
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: Marijuana and LSAT Preparation

Postby ChicagoRambler89 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:28 am

MiamiUG wrote:No one has said this yet? Seriously? Guess it's gonna have to be me.

Study high
Take the test high
Get a high score

/


Slip a "420" into your writing sample.

User avatar
MiamiUG
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:14 pm

Re: Marijuana and LSAT Preparation

Postby MiamiUG » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:39 am

ChicagoRambler89 wrote:
MiamiUG wrote:No one has said this yet? Seriously? Guess it's gonna have to be me.

Study high
Take the test high
Get a high score

/


Slip a "420" into your writing sample.


I will if you critique my PS

User avatar
kkklick
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Marijuana and LSAT Preparation

Postby kkklick » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:30 am

I've tried a PT high before, I gave up after 1 and a half sections, impossible. The day after was tough to, I was disinterested in doing a PT for 4 hours. My suggestion, what I did at least, is to stop smoking AT LEAST 3 weeks before the test, preferably 45 days, and you will not feel any effects. In june I stopped smoking entirely 45 days before and was clear and crisp ready to go on test day. October I took a month off smoking and felt just as good.

I am not a heavy smoker by any means, but I have had my fair share of herbs, I just told myself that after the LSAT for the 3 weeks I'm waiting for my score I can smoke when I want to without feeling guilty. It worked because I never thought about smoking

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Marijuana and LSAT Preparation

Postby JazzOne » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:57 am

kkklick wrote:I've tried a PT high before, I gave up after 1 and a half sections, impossible. The day after was tough to, I was disinterested in doing a PT for 4 hours. My suggestion, what I did at least, is to stop smoking AT LEAST 3 weeks before the test, preferably 45 days, and you will not feel any effects. In june I stopped smoking entirely 45 days before and was clear and crisp ready to go on test day. October I took a month off smoking and felt just as good.

I am not a heavy smoker by any means, but I have had my fair share of herbs, I just told myself that after the LSAT for the 3 weeks I'm waiting for my score I can smoke when I want to without feeling guilty. It worked because I never thought about smoking

I know someone who scored in the 99th %ile, and he smoked a blunt in the car on the way to the LSAT. The false propaganda regarding marijuana is just insane.

User avatar
kkklick
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Marijuana and LSAT Preparation

Postby kkklick » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:08 am

JazzOne wrote:
kkklick wrote:I've tried a PT high before, I gave up after 1 and a half sections, impossible. The day after was tough to, I was disinterested in doing a PT for 4 hours. My suggestion, what I did at least, is to stop smoking AT LEAST 3 weeks before the test, preferably 45 days, and you will not feel any effects. In june I stopped smoking entirely 45 days before and was clear and crisp ready to go on test day. October I took a month off smoking and felt just as good.

I am not a heavy smoker by any means, but I have had my fair share of herbs, I just told myself that after the LSAT for the 3 weeks I'm waiting for my score I can smoke when I want to without feeling guilty. It worked because I never thought about smoking

I know someone who scored in the 99th %ile, and he smoked a blunt in the car on the way to the LSAT. The false propaganda regarding marijuana is just insane.


I'm not saying it cant be done, it just seems that some people can test high others can't. The enhanced paranoia and anxiousness would make me freeze if I was high during the test, your buddy must have ice in his veins.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Marijuana and LSAT Preparation

Postby 3|ink » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:09 am

Pot is evil.

User avatar
kkklick
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Marijuana and LSAT Preparation

Postby kkklick » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:10 am

3|ink wrote:Pot is evil.


Once in a blue moon, No.

Doing it enough where it becomes habitual, Yes.

User avatar
kkklick
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Marijuana and LSAT Preparation

Postby kkklick » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:12 am

Also anyone who says pot is evil has to agree that alcohol is evil, something that destroys more lives and is directly the cause of many deaths. The hypocricy is overwhelming sometimes, I think it mostly has to do with alcohol being legal and marijuana being illegal.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Marijuana and LSAT Preparation

Postby 3|ink » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:15 am

kkklick wrote:
3|ink wrote:Pot is evil.


Once in a blue moon, No.

Doing it enough where it becomes habitual, Yes.


I'm inclined to steer clear of substances that could potentially make me even lazier.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Marijuana and LSAT Preparation

Postby JazzOne » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:16 am

kkklick wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
kkklick wrote:I've tried a PT high before, I gave up after 1 and a half sections, impossible. The day after was tough to, I was disinterested in doing a PT for 4 hours. My suggestion, what I did at least, is to stop smoking AT LEAST 3 weeks before the test, preferably 45 days, and you will not feel any effects. In june I stopped smoking entirely 45 days before and was clear and crisp ready to go on test day. October I took a month off smoking and felt just as good.

I am not a heavy smoker by any means, but I have had my fair share of herbs, I just told myself that after the LSAT for the 3 weeks I'm waiting for my score I can smoke when I want to without feeling guilty. It worked because I never thought about smoking

I know someone who scored in the 99th %ile, and he smoked a blunt in the car on the way to the LSAT. The false propaganda regarding marijuana is just insane.


I'm not saying it cant be done, it just seems that some people can test high others can't. The enhanced paranoia and anxiousness would make me freeze if I was high during the test, your buddy must have ice in his veins.

lol

Ice in his veins? Nah, he just smokes every morning, so it would have been odd for him not to do it on the day of the LSAT. Wake and bake. I actually wasn't trying to counter your point. Just bored in my PR class.

User avatar
ryanshep
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 2:58 pm

Re: Marijuana and LSAT Preparation

Postby ryanshep » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:31 pm

kkklick wrote:Also anyone who says pot is evil has to agree that alcohol is evil, something that destroys more lives and is directly the cause of many deaths. The hypocricy is overwhelming sometimes, I think it mostly has to do with alcohol being legal and marijuana being illegal.


The flaw in this argument is that...

User avatar
kkklick
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Marijuana and LSAT Preparation

Postby kkklick » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:43 pm

ryanshep wrote:
kkklick wrote:Also anyone who says pot is evil has to agree that alcohol is evil, something that destroys more lives and is directly the cause of many deaths. The hypocricy is overwhelming sometimes, I think it mostly has to do with alcohol being legal and marijuana being illegal.


The flaw in this argument is that...


assumption flaw lol go suck a lemon




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], bearedman8, BOSStongrl, SunDevil14, theboringest, tuesdayninja, WeightliftingThinker and 13 guests