Marijuana and LSAT Preparation

Knock

Re: Marijuana and LSAT Preparation

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:40 am

Anaconda wrote:Thanks, just sent them a threatening pm. Now off to smoke a joint with the OP.

Btw Kazu, your avatar went from cute and innocent 10 year old girl's shoes to 20 year old slutty thighs. Interesting evolution.
kazu wrote:
Anaconda wrote:Profile link or it didn't happen dood.

It was someone with less than 100 posts... I'm searching right now... I had deja vu when I saw the 'tar and then I thought I was imagining things.

Here s/he is: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/membe ... le&u=65531

I think it's definitely an improvement :P.

kazu

Postby kazu » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:43 am

Anaconda wrote:Btw Kazu, your avatar went from cute and innocent 10 year old girl's shoes to 20 year old slutty thighs. Interesting evolution.

Hahaha it goes in cycles. I think my first tar was slutty thighs in black garters/stockings, so I thought this would be appropriate 1000 posts later :mrgreen:

Knockglock wrote:I think it's definitely an improvement :P.

P. Bateman

Postby P. Bateman » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:30 am

Did someone in this thread say that he took the LSAT while high on weed?

Why would you ever do that?!

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:21 pm

P. Bateman wrote:Did someone in this thread say that he took the LSAT while high on weed?

Probably would've made the sea otter question make more sense.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:26 pm

P. Bateman wrote:Did someone in this thread say that he took the LSAT while high on weed?

idk about weed, but I'd probably be up to take a practice on acid to see how far I get before I start trying to dive off my chair into my test book to swim. God I need a gif for this.

JimHalpert

Postby JimHalpert » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:44 pm

Littering and.....

christmas mouse

Postby christmas mouse » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:54 pm

i dont think smoking at night will have any effect on your lsat skills as long as you arent studying high/high all day, but i think smoking during school is like shooting yourself in the foot. if i were you i would quit for a few days just to show yourself you can and if u succeed at that then gauge your own PT results and do whatever you want, but if you cant stop for a few days (which i think you might have a problem with based on your statement that you dont want to stop because you dont want to miss out on the fun high times) you should consider how hard or easy it will be to stop during school because thats a question that has far greater consequences (you cant take 1L 3 times till you get the right score).

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:55 pm

There was an npr thing a little while ago about college students and drugs or whatever. Anyways one of the professors they interviewed was claiming it takes 3 days to get your focus back up to normal. Seems like having a bunch of three day periods where you aren't able to study 100% isn't the best idea.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:58 pm

--ImageRemoved--

M'kay?

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:02 pm

3|ink wrote:--ImageRemoved--

M'kay?

Bad in a good way, right?

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:15 pm

I said that I took a PT on weed once...I don't think I even got through it lol.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:20 pm

you'll be fine if it's an occasional (not all day) thing. if you want to be sure don't smoke for a day or two before the real test.

BeachedBrit

Postby BeachedBrit » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:35 pm

I'm on the fence about whether it's a good idea. I understand that the two aren't fully analogous but I've found that my performance drops from -2 avg first practice section on a normal day to -5 first practice/warmup section on a day after I had more than 2 beers/drinks the night before.

My other stand is that this test is so disproportionately important to LS admissions that is it really that big of a hit (pardon the cheap pun) to quit smoking for 4 - 6 months while you prep so that there's not even a chance you'll be wondering/worried about whether you should have later on. Also once classes start back up again all that extra time that you would have spent smoking can now be used as valuable LSAT prep time.

yezzir

Postby yezzir » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:45 pm

It really depends on the individual and your self-discipline, but I for one have quit weed to focus on the LSAT.

It's obviously a good way to de-stress and get the most out of music (amongst other activities) but it honestly does make me lazy. I don't need anything when I'm on weed and this feeling of content/idleness (depending on how you want to look at it) often carries over even when I'm not smoking.

For me right now, it's do or die. I need a 170+ to get into the school I want to go to and there's just no reason for me to smoke weed any more. I'm not leaving anything to chance.

senunit

Postby senunit » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:52 pm

arean.ryan wrote:No one else's opinion can really help you on this topic, only you know how it affects your ability to learn and study.

Personal opinion, I love to party as much as the next guy...that said when I need my brain working at 110% I quit all of my vices.

I know avid marijuana users that are in top 25 schools, but I also know avid marijuana users who sat around attempting to study without the ability to focus and retain information.

You decide which category you fall into.

+1

blhblahblah

Postby blhblahblah » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:04 pm

Whatever you do, if you plan to take the test sober, do not study stoned.

You perform best when your performance matches the same conditions under which you practiced

Now excuse me while I roll up this pinner.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:15 pm

On a serious note:

If you're planning to apply to law school - it's time to lay off the herb... if you can't, then it time for help. It's just going to get in the way.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:31 pm

ResolutePear wrote:On a serious note:

If you're planning to apply to law school - it's time to lay off the herb... if you can't, then it time for help. It's just going to get in the way.

If you are applying to law school you should know how to consume substances, not limited to cannabis, in moderation, and not have it interfere with your life.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:34 pm

TITCR

In my previous position as a paralegal, I knew an attorney who had to wait to get his license after passing the bar exam because of a previous possession conviction. Apparently, he had so much in his apartment that he was almost charged with felony possession. I didn't know possession could go beyond a misdemeanor. I guess it was Virginia’s way of combating dealers who they couldn't catch in the act.

He wasn't a dealer, according to him.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:36 pm

Knockglock wrote:

If you are applying to law school you should know how to consume substances, not limited to cannabis, in moderation, and not have it interfere with your life.

If you get an illegal substance possession (with intent to distribute, if your packing away *THAT* much of it) charge, it's not going to go well for you on the apps/bar, especially if it's recent.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:38 pm

3|ink wrote:

TITCR

In my previous position as a paralegal, I knew an attorney who had to wait to get his license after passing the bar exam because of a previous possession conviction. Apparently, he had so much in his apartment that he was almost charged with felony possession. I didn't know possession could go beyond a misdemeanor. I guess it was Virginia’s way of combating dealers who they couldn't catch in the act.

He wasn't a dealer, according to him.

This.

The second you decide to go to law school, just stop. It's not going to help you.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:45 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

If you get an illegal substance possession (with intent to distribute, if your packing away *THAT* much of it) charge, it's not going to go well for you on the apps/bar, especially if it's recent.

I thought your previous post was talking about "laying off the herb" because it would interfere with your intellectual abilities...not because of the risk of something on your record. Obviously getting some form of misdemeanor is never good, and I don't think anyone is going to argue that. Also, intent to distribute? that's a huge leap from personal consumption. Anyways, people have been admitted to law school and the bar with far worse offenses, DUI's, etc. By comparison, a misdemeanor marijuana charge isn't that bad. I think Berkeley specifically tells you not to list any misdemeanor marijuana charges on your application; of course that is Berkeley, so not exactly representative of other law schools. Anyways, not advocating getting anything on your record, obviously that is good, but it is possible to use responsibility without it interfering with your life. I wouldn't agree with your blanket statement that if you're planning on applying to law school it is a must to quit smoking cannabis. There are some law school students and practicing attorneys that engage in that practice and have done well for themselves. Obviously it isn't for everyone; but you should refrain from telling people that because they are applying for law school, they must stop smoking. Like anything, there's a wide spectrum of use. If you're smoking all day, then obviously that would probably interfere with your life. However, if you're doing that odds are you're not necessarily law school material. Enjoying it recreationally for relaxation and in moderation is a completely different scenario, and many people can handle that and applying to law school just fine.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:51 pm

I know it's not the same thing, but I definitely continued to drink while prepping for the LSAT. Not everyday, but at least a few times a week. I don't think it had an adverse effect, and helped me to blow off steam.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:53 pm

danidancer wrote:I know it's not the same thing, but I definitely continued to drink while prepping for the LSAT. Not everyday, but at least a few times a week. I don't think it had an adverse effect, and helped me to blow off steam.

Yeah, I think it's a personal thing. I for one couldn't handle that. I'm always pretty sluggish the day after drinking, or at least not performing at 100%. I can be completely fine the day after some cannabis consumption though. Everyone's different, and just like nearly anything, blanket statements are weak.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:01 pm

Knockglock wrote:
danidancer wrote:I know it's not the same thing, but I definitely continued to drink while prepping for the LSAT. Not everyday, but at least a few times a week. I don't think it had an adverse effect, and helped me to blow off steam.

Yeah, I think it's a personal thing. I for one couldn't handle that. I'm always pretty sluggish the day after drinking, or at least not performing at 100%. I can be completely fine the day after some cannabis consumption though. Everyone's different, and just like nearly anything, blanket statements are weak.

Well I also never drank myself to oblivion, maybe 3-4 drinks in a night as the absolute max. So no hangovers. And I'm a night owl by nature anyway, so I always did the majority of my studying in the late afternoon/early evening anyway. :mrgreen:

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”