Wild ranges/inconsistency

emoney8907

Wild ranges/inconsistency

Postby emoney8907 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:30 pm

Lately my PTs have been going all over the place (i'm preparing for Oct LSAT)
Just two days ago I score my high of 175 and today I score my low of 162.
Even before that I've been ranging between 165 and 174, but the majority of PT scores turned out to be 169-170.
Is this wild inconsistency and wide range a major cause for concern? Or is it pretty commonplace among others?
What could this range suggest come October?
Just felt I needed to ask because if after two days ago my emotions were completely upbeat and full of confidence after the 175, after today's 162 all of it just got completely sucked out as if it encountered a black hole

3|ink

Re: Wild ranges/inconsistency

Postby 3|ink » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:40 pm

Which section has the most variation?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:42 pm

I had a 9 point score range. I think it's pretty normal.

emoney8907

Postby emoney8907 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:43 pm

3|ink wrote:Which section has the most variation?

LR is the most inconsistent....I usually am around -4 per section, but can easily go -1 or -8

RC is usually -3 to -4 but if I have a collapse like I did today, it can go -7 to -8, but that is rarer than a -7 or -8 on LR

LG is no problem...always -0 or -1.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:53 pm

emoney8907 wrote:
3|ink wrote:Which section has the most variation?

LR is the most inconsistent....I usually am around -4 per section, but can easily go -1 or -8

RC is usually -3 to -4 but if I have a collapse like I did today, it can go -7 to -8, but that is rarer than a -7 or -8 on LR

LG is no problem...always -0 or -1.

Damn. I was hoping it was LG. That's the easiest to section to get better at.

For one thing, you need to work on your mentality. There should never be any such thing as a 'crash' day. Instead, you call it a 'learning' day. Otherwise, after doing poorly on one section, you're liable to put less than 100% into the sections that follow.

If you haven't already identified your weakest LR question types, do so. If you find a pattern, re-read the corresponding chapter of the LRB. After that, go over the questions you got wrong and decide definitively why each incorrect answer choice is not credited. That's really about all you can do to jam the material in your head.

I think RC just takes practice. After a time, you know what to look for while you're reading the passage. You develop a sixth sense that tells you what information from the passage will likely come up in the questions. The hardest part about RC is maintaining a solid grasp of the positions illustrated in the passage. It's easy to let the questions mislead you to an inference that is not exactly supported by the passage. That's another (seventh) sense that I'm slowing developing.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”