Mulch and Stone

nStiver

Mulch and Stone

Postby nStiver » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:29 am

As I just wrote in another post, I took PT 60 and flunked the games section. The curious thing about it is that I thought the mulch game was the easiest one in the section. What is it about this game that trips people up? There are only two variable sets. It is literally like taking four apples and three bananas and lining them up in different orders.

Maybe I am an idiot savant with logic games: all of them are incredibly difficult for me except this one mulch game lol.
Last edited by nStiver on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Re: Mulch and Stone

Postby Dany » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:32 am

It all depends on how you think. Of course the mulch game is easy for some; but a different person will find it incredibly challenging. I thought it was very easy, but give me a pattern game and I can barely figure out what's going on, much less get the right answers. Yet there are people who can "see" the pattern and finish the game in 5 minutes flat.

Different skill sets, man.

mapes

Postby mapes » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:34 am

haha. i took it in june and thought the same thing. maybe people overanalyzed it. all i did was plug and chug and it worked itself out pretty quickly.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:39 am

God I wish all lsat games were like the mulch game. Lol I would get a 180 each time. Just like I wish all math problems were addition and all essays were 100 word compare and contrast assignments.

I don't know what kind of skill set blows through the intern game and gets stuck on the mulch game, but I would take that one over mine any day!

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:50 am

I thought the entire games section (particularly the last two) was brutal. I had been regularly PTing around -0 and -1 in games, and I fell to -7 on that thing. Yikes. Fortunately the rest of the test wasn't too bad and I was able to make up for it... but still.

lastch2

Postby lastch2 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:00 pm

nStiver wrote:I don't know what kind of skill set blows through the intern game and gets stuck on the mulch game, but I would take that one over mine any day!

+1
mulch was no problem...but the word "field" threw me for such a loop! field like where they are stationed, or their field of work ie photography?!

MiamiUG

Postby MiamiUG » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:18 pm

My guess is that the mulch game is so different from other games that kids who follow whatever program they studied just had no idea what to do when they saw a game that didn't fit neatly into one of the predefined categories from their books. Over-reliance on the method is what it is.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:19 pm

MiamiUG wrote:My guess is that the mulch game is so different from other games that kids who follow whatever program they studied just had no idea what to do when they saw a game that didn't fit neatly into one of the predefined categories from their books. Over-reliance on the method is what it is.

I think that was probably the problem for many people.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:31 pm

lastch2 wrote:
nStiver wrote:I don't know what kind of skill set blows through the intern game and gets stuck on the mulch game, but I would take that one over mine any day!

+1
mulch was no problem...but the word "field" threw me for such a loop! field like where they are stationed, or their field of work ie photography?!

Ya that stupid field game was hard. There were a few key inferences that make it easy once you spotted them, but by the time I figured it out it was too late. The field game had a lot of rules to keep track of too, which sucked.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:15 pm

I just thought it was hilarious that LSAC is now writing their test specifically to wreck the testing companies' strategies. The game was laughably easy for most people...unless you tried to use a testing strategy to break it down. LSAC really impressed me with that question. I doubt writing such a question is easy.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:43 pm

Maybe I would have been intimidated by the mulch if I had actually ran across it in a real test situation. I took 60 as a PT and I literally saved it for last I had heard everyone talking about how ungodly hard it was.

I think people must have just freaked out when they saw it. There is no other explanation. I mean, I suck at logic games, I use a pre-defined test-prep company method, and this game was STILL easy. It reminded me of one of those goofy older games you would encounter at the beginning of a section for an easy 5 points.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:50 pm

Not to come off sounding pretentious but the I felt the logic games on the June LSAT were easier then most. Granted I misdiagrammed the game about the countries/professions (I thought fields meant the locations at first, not their given professions) but I had enough time to realize my mistake, go back re-diagram it, and correct all my mistakes.

The mulch/stone game at first threw me off, just because it seem like a novelty, but after I realized exactly what it was asking me, I sped through it. There was a few questions on it that I picked the wrong answer then sat there thinking about it and realized my mistake -- switching it to the correct answer. Ended up scoring -0 on the section.

TBH the other two I don't even remember... I believe there was a sequencing game? Then completely clueless what the other one was.
Last edited by ArchRoark on Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:54 pm

You don't sound pretentious at all. Its good that you blew through the LG section. Anyway, thats kind of what this thread is about. Certain games are easier for different people.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”