October or December LSAT?

MrAdams

October or December LSAT?

Postby MrAdams » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:34 pm

Hey there,

Just curious, I intend to apply to LS in America aiming to start in the 2011-2012 academic year. Would it be preferable to sit the October LSAT (with less time to prepare; I am starting tomorrow) or the December LSAT (with more time to prepare, but I hear that it severely reduces your chances of being accepted/getting scholarship)?

If I studied extremely hard, given that everyone has a natural 'limit', would it be reasonable to believe I could reach that limit in two months as opposed to four?

thanks,

MrAdams

pkpop

Re: October or December LSAT?

Postby pkpop » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:43 pm

I don't think anyone can answer your question without knowing what score you are testing at right now.

cinefile 17

Postby cinefile 17 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:46 pm

You should plan to take the October test and study as hard as possible to be ready by then (that way you can get your apps out earlier and have the December LSAT as a crutch if needed). However, if you're not 100% ready once October comes along, wait until December. Act as though you're taking the October test for sure though b.c. it will make you study harder.

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:50 pm

Yeah.. take a diagnostic (a full-length PT done with the same time constraints, etc) and tell us what you get. We're going to need at least that info in order to give you better advice.

OV105

Postby OV105 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:59 pm

I'm facing a similar dilemma.

I have been sitting on the waitlist at a T2, but not holding out hope that I am going to get an offer (LSAT score is my biggest problem). I also submitted my applications near the cutoff date which wasn't very helpful. I have a very demanding job (greater than 40 hours most weeks with projects that can approach 100 hour weeks on a semi-regular basis) which has hindered my test preparation. I sat for the LSAT twice; the first time was a total fiasco (long story but it involves major miscommunication between LSAC and the testing center) and I canceled my score. I was coming off a huge project the second time I took it and scored a 15Garbage. My biggest issue by far is speed and it manifested itself in a bad way on test day.

I am reasonably sure I can bump my LSAT score a fair amount given enough time to study, but finding that time is going to be difficult for the foreseeable future. :? I just don't feel I am going to be prepared for the October test, but I don't want to wait until December to submit my apps and have a repeat of this year's cycle. For what the rest of my application is worth, I believe I have good softs: almost 15 years work experience in program management and business development, UG GPA is 3.35 (LSAC) but 3.81 in 80 hours at top 20 public university. I also have good letters of rec and plenty of volunteer work on my resume.

So, after digesting all of that, here's my question. Is there any rhyme or reason as to how I should take the LSAT and/or submit my applications? Is there a way to submit apps before the December exam (under the assumption that my score will significantly improve if I take the December test) without getting dinged for the miserable score I already have? In other words, is it possible to get the rest of my application in the queue to speed things along when the new score comes in? I'm aiming for T50 (east coast or Texas), but it's all pretty much contingent on the LSAT and academic until I actually get the results. I'd appreciate any constructive feedback.

Cheers.

MrAdams

Postby MrAdams » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:10 pm

Yeah, I haven't taken a diagnostic for the LSAT yet. I have done reading comp for other law related activities before and did pretty well, but I understand that without a definite score for you guys it is hard to predict. I was curious to see if anyone else had taken the LSAT with ~50 days of revision and reached what they felt like their peak. Like they couldn't get better with more time. I will have the Dec as a crutch yeah, so I guess I will just shoot for Oct and see.

Kinda sucks how LS's allocate placements and scholarships on a pseudo first come first serve basis... but that is life. Ill be putting in a good 4-5 hours every week day on revision, so hopefully I will do well enough in the Oct.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:30 pm

I've already taken the LSAT (164), so I'm going to submit my apps as soon as they're available. But, I'm still planning to retake the LSAT in order to boost my chances at University of Washington.

UW claims that they don't start reviewing applications until Jan 1st, so even if I take the December LSAT, my new score should come in before they start. But, I'm already scoring in the 178-180 range in practice. So, should I take the October test instead? Or should I take the extra time and test in December as planned?

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:49 pm

Adjudicator wrote:UW claims that they don't start reviewing applications until Jan 1st, so even if I take the December LSAT, my new score should come in before they start.

Do they process applications in the order received? If they do, then even though you apply before they start reviewing, you're still at the bottom of a rather large stack.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:30 pm

albanach wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:UW claims that they don't start reviewing applications until Jan 1st, so even if I take the December LSAT, my new score should come in before they start.

Do they process applications in the order received? If they do, then even though you apply before they start reviewing, you're still at the bottom of a rather large stack.

Yes, but as I said, I have a previous LSAT score that is valid, so I'm going to submit my application as soon as they start taking them. Then, I will add my new score right before they actually start reviewing.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:04 pm

I intended to take the LSAT for Oct but didn't start seriously studying until last month. I got the Bibles and prep tests 29-60. I start classes this Monday, so for me there's no way I'd be ready to get the best score I can get by Oct, so I'm taking in Dec. Made a schedule to make sure I stay on track for it this time. I'm also worried about not getting into a school because of this or not getting some money, but right now I'm scoring 159 and I can't see myself getting my dream score of 172 in 6 weeks, but that's just me.

OP, you really need to let us know what schools you are trying to get into and come back with a diagnostic (and ugpa). Are you a URM?

If you naturally test very well, then 6 weeks may be enough for you, or if you don't care about where you get into.

MrAdams

Postby MrAdams » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:37 am

I will be applying to UCLA, USC, UC-Davis and UC-Hastings. I will be graduating from a fairly decent British law school with a ugdegree in English law at 2:1 or a 1:1 classification depending on my grades this year. I think if I get at least a 165, I will be in with a fairly decent shot of at least Davis, Hastings and USC, but UCLA is my dream school, so I am going to be shooting for a 170+ to ensure a place. However, honestly, I will go to which ever school accepts me.

I am white, Scottish, so I wont have any minority benefit past being a 'real' foreigner.

These next 6 weeks I am going to be putting most of my time into the LSAT (6+ hours a day), and other things like the brain training DS game (I really think this will help my brain speed up decision making and analytical thinking), reading the economist (which I need to do anyway) and going to gym/taking Saturday and Sunday off for R&R.

MrAdams

Postby MrAdams » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:56 am

Oh, and I have to say that, being foreign, if it weren't for all of the fantastic posters and article authors here on TLS I would not have the faintest idea of: how important the LSAT is, how to tackle revision for the LSAT or even how to take the LSAT. So thanks a bunch guys for giving me the confidence to think I can do well enough in the OCT sitting.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”