Have you ever scored a 180 on a practice test?

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Have you ever scored a 180 on a practice test?

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:40 pm

And if so, what did you end up scoring on the actual LSAT?

I just scored my first 180 on a full, timed practice test (PrepTest 19: June 1996 LSAT), including my first perfect Analytical Reasoning section. I missed 2 problems total, 1 each on each of the LR sections.

I felt like the Analytical Reasoning games on this test were all relatively easy... but it still felt good to ace it.

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: Have you ever scored a 180 on a practice test?

Postby Hannibal » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:44 pm

I got a 180 on Superprep B, got a 173 on my next practice test. Knockglock here got a couple of practice 180s and scored a 171 on the real test.

User avatar
JohnnyTrojan08
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: Have you ever scored a 180 on a practice test?

Postby JohnnyTrojan08 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:06 pm

Hannibal wrote:Knockglock here got a couple of practice 180s and scored a 171 on the real test.


This happens quite a bit actually, because when you're scoring around there in your practice, you might not prepare as intensely for the full-length test. That's what happened to me.

When I first took the LSAT, I had been scoring in the 175 range on practice tests so I was unhappy with the 172 I got on the September 2007 test; on the day of the test, I felt it had gone well. Even though I was in the LSAT 99th percentile, I "bombed" the last section, reading comprehension--now I know that reading comprehension sections are the most susceptible to LSAT fatigue because they require you to hold so much information in your working memory at once. Although I had taken many full official PrepTests, I became mentally fatigued on the test day and couldn’t perform to the best of my ability.

To address my fatigue, I practiced longer than the actual LSAT and required the same level of accuracy from myself in order to be satisfied. I followed a strict regimen of taking eight full sections--two official PrepTests in a sitting--twice a week. After analyzing and correcting the errors I made in the logical reasoning and reading comprehension sections, I improved my average practice score from 175 to 179, and ended up with a 180 when it really counts.

Also, not to put down your accomplishment at all, PrepTest 19 is not the best indicant of a modern LSAT you can get. Still, you're in a great position to score well on the actual test, just make sure to stay vigilant in your practice and work to build consistency and endurance.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Have you ever scored a 180 on a practice test?

Postby Ragged » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:11 pm

No. :(

User avatar
Cromartie
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: Have you ever scored a 180 on a practice test?

Postby Cromartie » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:15 pm

I scored 180's in 3 of my last 5 PT's (44, 46 and 47). Not putting too much stock into it until/unless I get a couple more or get them consistently.

User avatar
cinefile 17
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:32 pm

Re: Have you ever scored a 180 on a practice test?

Postby cinefile 17 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:16 pm

I got 180 on 4 practice tests. Got a 169 on the real thing :cry:

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: Have you ever scored a 180 on a practice test?

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:17 pm

cinefile 17 wrote:I got 180 on 4 practice tests. Got a 169 on the real thing :cry:


Ouch... you must have been pretty disappointed. What do you think made the difference?

User avatar
cinefile 17
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:32 pm

Re: Have you ever scored a 180 on a practice test?

Postby cinefile 17 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:19 pm

JohnnyTrojan08 wrote:
Hannibal wrote:Knockglock here got a couple of practice 180s and scored a 171 on the real test.


This happens quite a bit actually, because when you're scoring around there in your practice, you might not prepare as intensely for the full-length test. That's what happened to me.

When I first took the LSAT, I had been scoring in the 175 range on practice tests so I was unhappy with the 172 I got on the September 2007 test; on the day of the test, I felt it had gone well. Even though I was in the LSAT 99th percentile, I "bombed" the last section, reading comprehension--now I know that reading comprehension sections are the most susceptible to LSAT fatigue because they require you to hold so much information in your working memory at once. Although I had taken many full official PrepTests, I became mentally fatigued on the test day and couldn’t perform to the best of my ability.

To address my fatigue, I practiced longer than the actual LSAT and required the same level of accuracy from myself in order to be satisfied. I followed a strict regimen of taking eight full sections--two official PrepTests in a sitting--twice a week. After analyzing and correcting the errors I made in the logical reasoning and reading comprehension sections, I improved my average practice score from 175 to 179, and ended up with a 180 when it really counts.

Also, not to put down your accomplishment at all, PrepTest 19 is not the best indicant of a modern LSAT you can get. Still, you're in a great position to score well on the actual test, just make sure to stay vigilant in your practice and work to build consistency and endurance.


That is EXACTLY what happened to me on the real test (bombed the last section (RC) due to fatigue). I've also been studying for my retake the same way you described. Hopefully I can pull off an awesome score on my retake just like you did.

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: Have you ever scored a 180 on a practice test?

Postby Hannibal » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:19 pm

Cromartie wrote:I scored 180's in 3 of my last 5 PT's (44, 46 and 47). Not putting too much stock into it until/unless I get a couple more or get them consistently.


Cromartie, why don't you have Cromartie's adversary as your avatar?

User avatar
Cromartie
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: Have you ever scored a 180 on a practice test?

Postby Cromartie » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:23 pm

Hannibal wrote:
Cromartie wrote:I scored 180's in 3 of my last 5 PT's (44, 46 and 47). Not putting too much stock into it until/unless I get a couple more or get them consistently.


Cromartie, why don't you have Cromartie's adversary as your avatar?


Haha, because I have the hots for her and would like to "terminate" her. :lol:

User avatar
Cromartie
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: Have you ever scored a 180 on a practice test?

Postby Cromartie » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:26 pm

JohnnyTrojan08 wrote:
Hannibal wrote:Knockglock here got a couple of practice 180s and scored a 171 on the real test.


This happens quite a bit actually, because when you're scoring around there in your practice, you might not prepare as intensely for the full-length test. That's what happened to me.

When I first took the LSAT, I had been scoring in the 175 range on practice tests so I was unhappy with the 172 I got on the September 2007 test; on the day of the test, I felt it had gone well. Even though I was in the LSAT 99th percentile, I "bombed" the last section, reading comprehension--now I know that reading comprehension sections are the most susceptible to LSAT fatigue because they require you to hold so much information in your working memory at once. Although I had taken many full official PrepTests, I became mentally fatigued on the test day and couldn’t perform to the best of my ability.

To address my fatigue, I practiced longer than the actual LSAT and required the same level of accuracy from myself in order to be satisfied. I followed a strict regimen of taking eight full sections--two official PrepTests in a sitting--twice a week. After analyzing and correcting the errors I made in the logical reasoning and reading comprehension sections, I improved my average practice score from 175 to 179, and ended up with a 180 when it really counts.

Also, not to put down your accomplishment at all, PrepTest 19 is not the best indicant of a modern LSAT you can get. Still, you're in a great position to score well on the actual test, just make sure to stay vigilant in your practice and work to build consistency and endurance.


This sounds like a great plan. Did you do any other PT's over the course of the week aside from the 2 8-section ones?

User avatar
JohnnyTrojan08
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: Have you ever scored a 180 on a practice test?

Postby JohnnyTrojan08 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:33 pm

Cromartie wrote:This sounds like a great plan. Did you do any other PT's over the course of the week aside from the 2 8-section ones?


You want to know if I did more than 16 timed LSAT sections in a week? lolz. No, I was still in undergrad taking a full 18 units, working 40 hours a week on a couple of jobs, etc.

I would wake up on Wednesdays and Saturdays really early to simulate the actual test day, and then work through noon. As I got comfortable with this, I moved to a somewhat loud environment, like a group study room in the library... I'm glad I did because the guy behind me on the second LSAT day had a massive cold and sniffled all over his desk the whole time.

The rest of my prep sessions were spent going over that week's material: I'd break down my mistakes into their question stems and go over the ones I missed as a category until I figured out why I was systematically missing certain tasks.

Spykuh
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:53 pm

Re: Have you ever scored a 180 on a practice test?

Postby Spykuh » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:22 pm

I got a 180 on the June 2009 test (took it as practice) and got a 174 two weeks later on the real Sept 2009

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Have you ever scored a 180 on a practice test?

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:25 pm

Uh once or twice. Range of 177-180 on the real thing (I leave it vaguely there until after the cycle).

12262010
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: Have you ever scored a 180 on a practice test?

Postby 12262010 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:35 pm

a few times... 175 on the real thing.

User avatar
CapHillLove
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:58 pm

Re: Have you ever scored a 180 on a practice test?

Postby CapHillLove » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:42 pm

.
Last edited by CapHillLove on Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Have you ever scored a 180 on a practice test?

Postby kazu » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:54 pm

A few times before both my first and second try. Got 176+ on the second time around. I'd also like to keep things vague until after the cycle.

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Have you ever scored a 180 on a practice test?

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:14 pm

CapHillLove wrote:I win.

I got multiple 180s and then got a low 160.

Testing irregularities, but still... massive choke.

Edit: Made that more vague... you guys are making me paranoid.


A blog post where a certain dean called out a bunch of TLSers makes me paranoid.

12262010
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: Have you ever scored a 180 on a practice test?

Postby 12262010 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:16 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
CapHillLove wrote:I win.

I got multiple 180s and then got a low 160.

Testing irregularities, but still... massive choke.

Edit: Made that more vague... you guys are making me paranoid.


A blog post where a certain dean called out a bunch of TLSers makes me paranoid.


like, by username? where?

User avatar
CapHillLove
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:58 pm

Re: Have you ever scored a 180 on a practice test?

Postby CapHillLove » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:16 pm

.
Last edited by CapHillLove on Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Have you ever scored a 180 on a practice test?

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:18 pm

booyakasha wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
CapHillLove wrote:I win.

I got multiple 180s and then got a low 160.

Testing irregularities, but still... massive choke.

Edit: Made that more vague... you guys are making me paranoid.


A blog post where a certain dean called out a bunch of TLSers makes me paranoid.


like, by username? where?


http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... wered.aspx

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Have you ever scored a 180 on a practice test?

Postby Knock » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:19 pm

Hannibal wrote:I got a 180 on Superprep B, got a 173 on my next practice test. Knockglock here got a couple of practice 180s and scored a 171 on the real test.


I cannot escape it :shock:. Even on random threads, haha :P. But yeah Hannibal is correct. I think I got 4 180's and 4 179's......ended up with a 171 on the real deal. I need a drink :lol:.

But reading about the guy who ended up scoring a 180 on his retake of a 172 makes me feel a lot better. I might try that method, although fatigue didn't hurt me on the test -- in fact my best section was my 5th section, a -0 LR. My 4th section definitely was weak though, -4 RC, but I don't know if I would attribute that to fatigue over nerves/rushing.

12262010
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: Have you ever scored a 180 on a practice test?

Postby 12262010 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:19 pm

:shock: :lol:

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Have you ever scored a 180 on a practice test?

Postby Knock » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:19 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
booyakasha wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
CapHillLove wrote:I win.

I got multiple 180s and then got a low 160.

Testing irregularities, but still... massive choke.

Edit: Made that more vague... you guys are making me paranoid.


A blog post where a certain dean called out a bunch of TLSers makes me paranoid.


like, by username? where?


http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... wered.aspx


If Asha ever called me out, i'd be honored :wink:. I'd put it on my application :P.

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Have you ever scored a 180 on a practice test?

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:21 pm

I feel like I'm a generally nice person and don't tend to be offensive online (or offline), but my post count indicates that I occasionally have too much time on my hands. :lol:




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bigv, dontsaywhatyoumean, galeatus, Greenteachurro, Lawl_Schoolz, Yahoo [Bot] and 10 guests