Repeating problems

greg737

Repeating problems

Postby greg737 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:21 pm

So I just took the LSAT in June after a Testmasters course and got a 156. Was pretty disappointed b/c I was averaging around 163. Anyway I'm stuyding for the October test, but when I am doing practice tests now, I am now running into repeats of reading comp. passages and games and even LR questions that I remember. I just got a 167 on a practice test, but feel a lot of that was b/c I had seen the reading comp. section before.

I'm sure other people have encountered this before. Is it worth doing all these sections over again, even if you have some background on them and can, kind of, remember some questions. I guess I have no real choice, since I have already done almost all the problems available in the Testmasters book, so now everything is a repeat.

Adjudicator

Re: Repeating problems

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:33 pm

Get some new PrepTests!

downing

Postby downing » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 pm

Definitely get some more prep tests if you haven't used them all already! I went through most of the PTs, but I did so without any review or assessment, which is probably why I got a 159 in June. I only have ONE totally untouched PT. For whatever reason the bookstore didn't have it in stock around when I purchased the other stuff, thank god.
Hmm, wonder when I should take it.
The hard problems are still worth mastering, even if you've done them before.
It's like a math problem.
If you encounter a new math problem that you don't really understand, attempt to solve it, and fail the first time, it would behoove you to try it again and again until you get it. If you simply move onto the next difficult problem (supposing there are a bunch of easy questions thrown in) without a proper understanding of the first one, you'll probably answer the new problem with an equally low chance of success.

ly2010

Postby ly2010 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:09 pm

If you did the TM course and you did all the hw and supp. material... you might be in trouble. I didn't do all the material on purpose because a friend warned me against it. TM uses all the questions and divides it up. However, they probably didn't get to the 50's so practice with those. I am actually thinking about reviewing the books. Afterall, I did pay like 1500 to take the class...

yzero1

Postby yzero1 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:46 am

If you only remember some of the background details then I don't think it will be that big of a deal. I used up a few questions during my prep course but when I encountered the odd ones on my prep tests, say for LR, I would remember the topic but not the answer. I also ran into a passage which had a few familiar RC topics because I probably did them in my prep course, but I couldn't remember any of the answers to the questions. My score on that test was pretty similar to all my other tests. If you find you actually remember the correct answers, try giving yourself a bit less time than you normally would on the sections you've already done. This will help give you a better picture of what your actual capabilities are.

greg737

Postby greg737 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:33 pm

Yea thanks for all the tips.

I just am scoring so much better -- I just hope it's because I am just better at the test, rather than having a really good shot at 2 or 3 questions on each section b/c I remember them well.

I didn't do ALL the testmasters problems; most of them, though. I'm definitely going to work just from PTs now, so hopefully as time goes on I won't remember any problems I've done in just regular practice.

yezzir

Postby yezzir » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:26 am

I actually checked (because I was worried about the same issue) and none of the TestMasters problems come after Dec 05. So Tests 49-60 will have completely new problems.

greg737

Postby greg737 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:37 am

Oh awesome. Looks I'm going to have to go pick those up. I know some of our PTs they gave us in the class were beyond that, but that is only a few tests, not every single problem.

greg737

Postby greg737 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:13 pm

I just wanted to get into this again... does anyone have experience with repeating like 4-5 problems, maybe 1 or 2 games and 1 RC passage on practice tests. I'm only repeating them cuz I took Testmasters and did most of all their practice problems.

I was averaging around 161 before i took the June '10 LSAT (got a 156), but now I'm averaging like 169. I feel I'm better at it, but my only worry is that I'm only better (though it's a lot better) because of the repeats I see. Granted, I don't get them all right all the time.

I just hope it plays out the way I'd like it to on the real test...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”