December 2010 LSAT

2011Law

December 2010 LSAT

Postby 2011Law » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:49 pm

I originally planned to take the Oct test, but a month into studying for it I realized I won't be prepared in time, especially with classes starting next week. I've made a study outline for myself to make sure I stay on track. The syllabuses for two of my four classes are posted, and one of my finals is the day before LSAT day. Hoping I won't burn out, was wondering if anyone has experience with that? Also, anyone else missing graduation ceremony to sit on their ass for five hours on a cold Saturday?
Last edited by 2011Law on Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

albanach

Re: December 2010 LSAT

Postby albanach » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:00 pm

If you take the December LSAT, you won't see your result until the week between Christmas and New Year. You're then left to apply to schools after most spots have filled up and most scholarship money has been allocated.

Better schools that might have been possible, become impossible. The best schools that you do get accepted into are less likely to offer money than if you had applied two months earlier.

If there's any way you can delay a year - and I know how hard that decision is to take - I'd wait it out. You can still sit the exam in December and have everything in place nice and early. If you think you need more time, you can change the date to June (the next fully disclosed exam), and get plenty of practice time in.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:36 pm

What's your GPA like? Can you prioritize LSAT over classes this semester?

albanach is correct that Dec is generally not desirable due to rolling admissions. In your case, Dec might also not be a good choice due to the fact that you may be too busy with school to study as much as you'd like/need.

Another option is to study as much as possible during the semester while not neglecting classes, study hardcore over winter break, and take in February (while Feb exams are not disclosed, that alone doesn't necessarily a sufficient reason to avoid them).

June is also an option, but if you're in college in the spring semester, your final exams may be uncomfortably close to the June test date (June 6, 2011 in North America).

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:13 am

albanach wrote:If you take the December LSAT, you won't see your result until the week between Christmas and New Year. You're then left to apply to schools after most spots have filled up and most scholarship money has been allocated.

Better schools that might have been possible, become impossible. The best schools that you do get accepted into are less likely to offer money than if you had applied two months earlier.

If there's any way you can delay a year - and I know how hard that decision is to take - I'd wait it out. You can still sit the exam in December and have everything in place nice and early. If you think you need more time, you can change the date to June (the next fully disclosed exam), and get plenty of practice time in.

I'm planning on having everything ready to go and sending out applications the day LSAT results are in (Jan 10). Anyone know how filled up the average t20 school is by then? If LawSchoolPredictor gives me a 60% chance at a school with my predicted LSAT, what would be my chance applying in January?

Won't delay a year unless something huge comes up, like I'm in a coma the day of LSAT and am unable to get the score necessary to get into my safety school.

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:16 am

2011Law wrote:Won't delay a year unless something huge comes up, like I'm in a coma the day of LSAT and am unable to get the score necessary to get into my safety school.

Any specific reason why? If you go to lawschoolnumbers and look, you'll see that a lot of the waitlists/rejects in unexpected areas are from applications handed in late. I don't know of the exact percentage, but early apps definitely give you an advantage in terms of both admittances and scholly $$.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:40 am

kazu wrote:Any specific reason why? If you go to lawschoolnumbers and look, you'll see that a lot of the waitlists/rejects in unexpected areas are from applications handed in late. I don't know of the exact percentage, but early apps definitely give you an advantage in terms of both admittances and scholly $$.

Graduating in Dec, so starting law school next year means an 8 month wait. Very unsure if I will be able to find any kind of paying job in that time, and I don't want to hang out with my parents all day. I don't want to think about what 20 months would be like. Other people might think I'm crazy, but I'd seriously rather pay full tuition over half tuition (~ 60 grand) if it meant I could go to the school I want at the time I want. If I can't even get that, then we'll see what happens I guess.

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:07 pm

2011Law wrote:Graduating in Dec, so starting law school next year means an 8 month wait. Very unsure if I will be able to find any kind of paying job in that time, and I don't want to hang out with my parents all day. I don't want to think about what 20 months would be like. Other people might think I'm crazy, but I'd seriously rather pay full tuition over half tuition (~ 60 grand) if it meant I could go to the school I want at the time I want. If I can't even get that, then we'll see what happens I guess.

If you can get into the school you really want, that's great. You have increased loans, but with luck they'll be manageable.

The trouble with applying as schools have already begun to fill is that you risk going to a lower ranked school than you might otherwise achieve.

20 months at home might seem like an eternity. You say you're about to graduate, so I'm guessing you're in your early 20s. The decision you make will affect your law career for the next forty years! You might get in to a good school, but one with a more regional focus. You could end up living in one region of the country for a very long time as a direct result of your school choice.

You might want to decide now where you want to go to, so you can draw a line and say you won't accept lower and will try again next year if you don't get in. That way you won't be faced with the temptation of accepting entry to a lower ranked school just to get out of the house.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”