PT 26, LR 2 # 15

3|ink

PT 26, LR 2 # 15

Postby 3|ink » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:24 pm

This one pissed me off. I had to pick the 'least wrong' answer choice. I hate having to do that. I still can't figure out why C is correct.

If serum cholesterol levels rise proportionally to increased cholesterol and fat consumption, isn't it safe to say that the average North American diet, consisting of twice as much cholesterol and fat as that of the 'People' cited in answer choice C, would have twice the serum cholesterol level? The only possible way(s) I see around this is the first sentence that says such consumption is 'one of the most important factors', leading me to believe there could be others factors that skew proportion. Is that really how we're supposed to arrive at answer choice C (besides eliminating the other terrible answer choices)?

gdane

Re: PT 26, LR 2 # 15

Postby gdane » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:36 pm

Lets split the stimulus up.

First part: Serum (blood) cholesterol levels are affected by how much cholesterol and fat one eats.

Second part: As you eat more cholesterol and fat, your serum cholesterol level rises at the same pace, but only up to a point. At this point, the threshold, you can go on to eat lots of cholesterol and fat and you wont see as much of an increase in your serum cholesterol levels.

In the third part we find out exactly what the threshold where your serum cholesterol stops rising by a lot is, its 1/4 of the cholesterol and fat level in the average American diet. Hence, once you have eaten 25% of the average American’s level of cholesterol and fat, things change. After hitting that threshold you can eat lots more of the stuff with less effect on your blood.

C sums this up nicely by telling us that people that eat 1/2 (2 times the 1/4 threshold) the american diet will not see their blood cholesterol levels rise by half. Get it?

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:38 pm

Wow. I completely misread the last sentence. For some reason I was reading it as 'The average diet is 1/4th the threshold'. I read it the same way like 40 times. Sigh :(

Thanks for the help, gdane5.

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:41 pm

3|ink wrote:Wow. I completely misread the last sentence. For some reason I was reading it as 'The average diet is 1/4th the threshold'. I read it the same way like 40 times. Sigh :(

For some reason I did too at first. I think the stimulus does a good of ingraining that 1/4 statistic into our heads so that when we see 1/2 we misread it. The answer makes perfect sense though. If youre eating double the threshold, then youre not necessarily going to have your blood cholesterol levels rise by the same amount.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:44 pm

gdane5 wrote:
3|ink wrote:Wow. I completely misread the last sentence. For some reason I was reading it as 'The average diet is 1/4th the threshold'. I read it the same way like 40 times. Sigh :(

For some reason I did too at first. I think the stimulus does a good of ingraining that 1/4 statistic into our heads so that when we see 1/2 we misread it. The answer makes perfect sense though. If youre eating double the threshold, then youre not necessarily going to have your blood cholesterol levels rise by the same amount.

Yep. The answer makes perfect sense now. This is practically a 'gimme' question.

A lot of these inference questions include useless information and I thought that may be the case here. However, I was simply applying the proportions inversely. Note to self: Never do that again. I wasted 2 minutes on this question.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”