PT 33 LR2 #15

DrackedaryMaster

PT 33 LR2 #15

Postby DrackedaryMaster » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:50 pm

This is one of two questions I missed from this LR section. I eliminated B, D, and E and was stuck between A/C. Can someone please school me with the specific wording of "critical respect" as pertaining to the spacecraft/factory. I got lured into C because I couldn't figure out exactly what it was and thinking prevent/reduce was relevant to the argument. Thanks.

yzero1

Re: PT 33 LR2 #15

Postby yzero1 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:10 pm

The critical difference between the two parts of the analogy is that one is done with the intention to help the problem whereas the other is done without this intention. The latter is unjustifiable because of its lack of respect for the environment but the former (the spacecraft experiments) may be justified because of its possible contributions to the reversal of the ozone layer damage. If the experiments prove useful and eventually help reverse that damage, then almost everyone would say that it was justified. There is no such possibility for factory pollution.

(C) is incorrect because there is no mention of a goal of preventing harmful effects. Furthermore, distinguishing between prevention and reversal does not affect the argument about the experiments' justification.

DrackedaryMaster

Re: PT 33 LR2 #15

Postby DrackedaryMaster » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:37 pm

thank you! I think I get it now.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”