LSAT dilemma.. apply now or delay?

User avatar
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:12 pm

LSAT dilemma.. apply now or delay?

Postby balacyn11 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:23 pm

So thought I'd throw this out to everyone, because I'm really at a crossroads, and I know people here might know better than I do..
I'm a rising senior, graduating a semester early in Dec, at a top 15 undergrad, and attempted to study for the LSATs (for Oct '10) while working a 10+ hr a day finance job and taking a Kaplan course this summer.. basically had not enough time to study and am continuously burnt out and not feeling good about it.
As of now my score is only peaking at 160, and while I feel like I could buckle down and study all of Sept. back in school, I don't know how much my score will actually improve..
I'm only aiming for top 10/15 law schools, I have a 3.4 GPA and really good LORs, experience/extracurriculars (which yes, are irrelevant at the same time).. i want to break 170 and do as best as I can. I know I can do it, I was very successful in improving my SAT score over a period of time

So now I'm at a crossroads.. do I go nuts and study crazy till October 9th and apply this Fall? Or take it slow and take the February or June '11 test and plan out better my essays/law school choices?

Anyone familiar with the Kaplan higher score guarantee.. do you know how retaking the course for me would work?

And in general, if anyone was in my situation how would you proceed? How much time do I block off to study.. is it ok to study in the summer and start up again in a month or two, or is one "block" of 3 months more efficient?

Ah sorry for all the questions. Don't really have many others to discuss this with so kind of pouring all my concerns out. Any help or advice would be great.


User avatar
Calla Lily
Posts: 242
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: LSAT dilemma.. apply now or delay?

Postby Calla Lily » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:34 pm

If you are willing to wait, I think it could be worth it to take the LSAT in Feb or June and apply next cycle. I think your best bet is to take your time and get as much prep in as possible, without rushing the decision and going in feeling less than 100% ready. While retaking isn't the end of the world, it is much better to just go one and done, in terms of expense, anxiety and admissions success.

User avatar
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: LSAT dilemma.. apply now or delay?

Postby lastch2 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:49 pm

i would definitely wait and take it, especially graduating early and all. it's not like waiting is going to throw the entire schedule off...unless you already have a schedule that involves starting school next august. but imho having time to really focus on studying will serve you better shooting for a 170+

User avatar
The Gentleman
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 am

Re: LSAT dilemma.. apply now or delay?

Postby The Gentleman » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:09 pm

I would absolutely wait until February or June to take it. If you're in finance from a top 15 UG and have already accumulated some WE, I would imagine that your post-graduation job prospects are pretty decent. Here's your ideal plan. 1) Keep up your LSAT prep throughout this semester. 2) Graduate in Dec. 3) Kick the prep up a notch. 4) Pwn the Feb LSAT. 5) Have a job lined up which will start immediately following the Feb LSAT. 5) Work for a year and save $$$ for law school. 6) ???? 7) Profit.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 88234, Alexandros and 14 guests