Retakers: Do you remember the tests?

christinalsat

Retakers: Do you remember the tests?

Postby christinalsat » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:42 am

I'm retaking in Oct (got a 167, aiming to break 170). Currently I've been scoring a few points higher than I did the first time I took these tests (anywhere from a 174-179). However, I'm a little paranoid that I'm scoring this high because I am taking these tests for a second time. The 179 particularly caught me off guard. Overall, I don't feel like I remember the tests a whole lot -- reading comp may be the section where this impacts me the most. Has anyone else experienced this? How did your retake score on test day compare to the scores on practice tests you took for a second time?

sophia.olive

Re: Retakers: Do you remember the tests?

Postby sophia.olive » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:47 am

You remember, even if you dont realize you do.

rbhesser

Postby rbhesser » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:59 am

Every now and then I'll find a passage or question that feels familiar but I still have to work it out. For me, it's been a year since I've looked at anything though. My scores have been higher too, but I've taken a few tests that were unfamiliar to me and the scores have all been around the same. In fact, my highest is one that I hadn't taken. I'd like to think that a lot of it is because we are now so familiar with the format and there's less stress. I'd love to see a 179 though, I can't seem to get past 174. Nice job!

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:08 am

sophia.olive wrote:You remember, even if you dont realize you do.

I think 'recognize' would be more accurate than 'remember'.

downing

Postby downing » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:16 am

I'm sure the information is packed away somewhere in your subconscious, but in a pretty useless area that needs to be reinforced again and again. The only test I didn't take I'm keeping for a week or a week and half before the Oct. LSAT.

Calla Lily

Postby Calla Lily » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:40 am

Last edited by Calla Lily on Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

downing

Postby downing » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:47 am

Simple problem easy fix. If you're worried about the speed that you're completing the tests with, give yourself less time per section. I'm studying all over again from PT 19. Not bothering with the earlier ones. The other day I got a 166 on PT 24, at 33 minutes per section. I'm also trying SOS's strategy (basically retaking the test untimed after each timed test). Hope all this damn work pays off.

Calla Lily

Postby Calla Lily » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:53 am

I just did that one, too, but that was a fresh test for me. Yeah, that is a good point. I will do reduced time for the tests I have seen before. Easy fix, indeed. Thanks!

merc280

Postby merc280 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:10 am

This is a great big problem for me too. I end up remembering every question and answer word for word. Just causes me to not look over it that much since it becomes a distraction for me.

bp colin

Postby bp colin » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:29 pm

3|ink wrote:

This is a pretty accurate characterization for a lot of people, I think. I've seen a lot of people do all the material for a second time, and for the most part their scores really don't get inflated that much, even if they feel like that's what's happening. A big part of it has to do with time between tests. If you retake a test a few weeks after, then you'll probably remember some key things. But if it's been a few months or more, this is much less the case. People recognize subject matter and think that this is helping them, but it's often not.

This is really just based on having seen a bunch of people who hit their PT average on test day, in spite of that PT average having been based on re-done tests. Not true across the board, but it matter less often than people think.

christinalsat

Postby christinalsat » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:59 am

Thanks everyone! I haven't seen most of these tests since April/May. Not a super long time, but while the tests seem familiar, I rarely remember actual answers. If I get more 179s I guess it will be a confidence booster at least since all I'm aiming for is to break the 170s.

nStiver

Postby nStiver » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:30 am

I would like to think that I don't remember them but my scores say otherwise.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:35 pm

nStiver wrote:I would like to think that I don't remember them but my scores say otherwise.

Actual research in memory shows that you often can remember things implicitly long after your explicit memory is gone. This shows up when you find that you do really well on tests you're retaking, even if you took it months ago and don't explicitly remember anything, but find that you do a lot better on it than fresh tests you take (showing that it's not just improved skill). Every retaker remembers the test to to the extent that it is never as good/useful as practice as it was when the test is new, whether they are aware of it or not. If they really truly don't, then well they have really poor below-average memory and that sucks.

ETA: Though this has more to do with timing than accuracy. You should be quicker the second time around. But just because you missed a question the first time doesn't mean you won't miss it again the second time.
Last edited by acrossthelake on Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:39 pm

I didn't take to many PT's the first time around. I do recognize some of the questions on the ones I'm doing now from a few of the books I used. In a few weeks I'm moving on to the more recently released tests, so I think that'll be a better indication of where I am.

StrictlyLiable

Postby StrictlyLiable » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:57 pm

3|ink wrote:

+1

I agree, especially with RC.

christinalsat

Postby christinalsat » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:50 pm

Just got a 180 on the Sept 2007 test I took back in early May (and got a 170 on). Once again, didn't really feel like I remembered answers -- definitely recognized RC and one of the LG games. Nonetheless, was still able to finish all the sections in about 30 mins except for LG (my biggest weakness and what killed me on the June test). Also, my score on tests that I've been retaking has risen sharply from an average of about a 174 on retakes to a 179 and now a 180. Good sign? Hope soooooooo....

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:10 pm

Depends how long ago I took the test. But I rarely remember answers. I can recognize some questions I've done before and I think it might make me move a little faster. Scored 168 a year ago and hoping to score 170+ this time but I'm a little worried because I'm PT-ing around 170-173 and would feel more comfortable if I was around 173-175 so a test day drop wouldn't make my retake futile!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”