Status of October takers? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lawschoolisfun2012

New

Status of October takers?

Post by lawschoolisfun2012 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:43 am

Last edited by lawschoolisfun2012 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

fosterp

Bronze

Re: Status of October takers?

Post by fosterp » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:47 am

Funny what you mentioned about RC. I tried just barely skimming most of the reading and then referring back to relevant sections of the passage and found it helped me get through questions faster. I guess that means I don't really comprehend much when I read normally.

downing

Bronze

Post by downing » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:52 am

lawschoolisfun2012 wrote:Hi,

How is everyone doing? Where are you in your prep? Any advice to offer?

My two cents: Slowing down in RC and spending more time understanding the passage makes the questions fly by. Doing the games over and over has definitely helped. When I am stuck between two answers figuring out what the difference between the two answers is has helped me get the questions right (instead of debating which on I like more).

Yep! Being able to discern the important material and cleanly and concisely mark it is also pretty vital. I mean, as opposed to marking everything up in a storm of pointless meandering markings.

lastch2

Bronze

Post by lastch2 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:02 pm

doing better on games, worse on RC, slightly better on LR...losing steam on practicing though. I started so fervently, and now i'm lucky if i can force myself to go over answers from a PT i took 2 or so days ago. my biggest focus now is figuring out why i make mistakes so i can push through a bunch of PT's at the end for endurance and speed.

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:17 pm

fosterp wrote:Funny what you mentioned about RC. I tried just barely skimming most of the reading and then referring back to relevant sections of the passage and found it helped me get through questions faster. I guess that means I don't really comprehend much when I read normally.
I do better on RC with a quick reading too (I think because I'm really used to it by now and know what is important when I read (MP, tone, structure) and have a concise way of marking where info I will need is.) There are exceptions such as some science passages where it helps me to read more carefully/slower.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:21 pm

Especially with newer RC, I've found you can never refer back to the passage too many times. (Or, well, as long as you don't have time issues.) The answers are all there, you just have to dig for them. For example there was a question about what to replace the word "Head" with and in the area where the word "head" was used in the example (like lines given) you would have gotten the impression that it had something to do with gas inside the pump but then glancing back again for another question I saw the word head was actually defined in the paragraph and the definition was the right answer :).

I feel like I need to slow down and learn some new stuff. I just like doing PTs to get my score, and while I do review every time afterwards, I need to start categorizing/tracking mistakes better.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:34 pm

Ill second that about RC. Sometimes Ill read and try and memorize the passage - this is nuts. Usually on RC questions you can eliminate a couple wrong answers and quickly go back to the passage if need be.

Pastels

Bronze

Post by Pastels » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:41 pm

Averaging anywhere between 172-178 on PT so far. I miss that majority of my points on RC. I need to fine tune my timing as well. Shooting for a 175 plus in October.

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:14 pm

i have yet to take a PT since my june lsat (scored a 159 [average PT was 158]). been studying for around three weeks. hopefully i can take one this weekend.

shooting for 161+ in october.

good luck all.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:30 pm

Its tough to say where I am right now. I've focused on individual section prep, so I havent taken a practice test yet. I've worked with the Bibles and Kaplan Mastery. So far I'm encouraged by what I've seen.

I have a much better grasp of logical reasoning questions than I did last year and I'm much improved on games. I can spot inferences and deductions much better and quicker, I can combine rules with much more ease and I'm not struggling with time.

With logical reasoning I'm also very encouraged. I've done excellent on my last four sections (Method of Reasoning, Role of a Statement, Assumption, Point at Issue) and I felt much more comfortable with the other sections. Earlier in my prep I did get a lot of 3 and 4 star questions incorrect, which was a concern to me, but I know where I made mistakes and I know what to look out for now. I still get 3 and 4 star questions wrong, but now instead of getting 6 wrong, I'm getting 2 or 3 wrong. A small improvement. Most LSAT's only have five to six 3 or 4 star questions. If I can get 3 or 4 of those correct, thats great! Of course getting them all correct is always the goal.

RC is coming along nicely. I struggle mainly with those questions that ask you to infer what the author would most likely agree with, but overall I'm doing well. I actually like RC. I feel locked in because I'm focusing on one long passage rather than the clutterfuck of tiny, short passages you see on LR.

Everythings going to be ok! I'll take my first practice test on August 30th and after that it's PT's 40-60 until the Thursday before test day. :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”