I have the following books:
All the "10 Actual LSAT" series
PS LGB/LRB
PS LGB Workbook

My plan is as follows:
1. Cold Diagnostic
2. Read both bibles
3. PT,PT,PT and more PT's until test day

Any one have experience with the LGB workbook? Good material to review?
Would you recommend simultaneously reading both bibles, or one then the other?
The older PT's in the 10 actual series...are they still relevant useful?
When creating a PT in test day conditions, does one add the experimental? If so what sections, and should I use the older PT's for this
Is the writing sample apart of LSAT prep?

I appreciate all of your insight brothers.

bk1

Re: starting Oct. prep...some questions

Postby bk1 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:19 am

Older PT's are still useful, but if you are only taking a finite amount, take the most recent ones you can.

yzero1

Postby yzero1 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:55 am

arean.ryan wrote:I have the following books:
All the "10 Actual LSAT" series
PS LGB/LRB
PS LGB Workbook

My plan is as follows:
1. Cold Diagnostic
2. Read both bibles
3. PT,PT,PT and more PT's until test day

Any one have experience with the LGB workbook? Good material to review?
Sorry, can't help you on that one.

Would you recommend simultaneously reading both bibles, or one then the other?
I did both together and it worked out pretty well..experienced a significant boost in my PT scores afterwards.

The older PT's in the 10 actual series...are they still relevant useful?
Any and all LSAT questions are useful. Although the LSAT has changed since the teens, it hasn't changed fundamentally and the patterns and strategies you develop doing older questions will help you attack the newer problems. I recommend at least using earlier questions to practice or use them as experimental sections.

When creating a PT in test day conditions, does one add the experimental? If so what sections, and should I use the older PT's for this
Is the writing sample apart of LSAT prep?
I add the experimental on all of my tests. Sections don't matter but I suggest doing this: take 1 PT and split it into four sections. Use each section as an experimental for your next 4 PTs. Score your combined performance after all 4 sections are used. This will encourage you to actually try on these sections, taking you one step closer to mimicking test day reality. Older PTs are fine. I would suggest using them because you should save some newer ones to do as regular PTs. Also, do not study for the writing sample - it's a waste of time.

I appreciate all of your insight brothers.

Hope that helps.

JDHopeful

Postby JDHopeful » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:36 am

yzero1 wrote:I add the experimental on all of my tests. Sections don't matter but I suggest doing this: take 1 PT and split it into four sections. Use each section as an experimental for your next 4 PTs. Score your combined performance after all 4 sections are used. This will encourage you to actually try on these sections, taking you one step closer to mimicking test day reality. Older PTs are fine. I would suggest using them because you should save some newer ones to do as regular PTs. Also, do not study for the writing sample - it's a waste of time.

Didn't even think of this; Excellent suggestion.

arean.ryan

Postby arean.ryan » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:57 pm

147 on a cold diagnostic, kind of freaks me out...I was aiming to get a 160 by October...thanks for the input so far guys...

vespertiliovir

Postby vespertiliovir » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:06 pm

A 160+ is not unreasonable, jumps of 15 points are pretty common. Where did you miss most of your questions?

arean.ryan

Postby arean.ryan » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:25 pm

vespertiliovir wrote:A 160+ is not unreasonable, jumps of 15 points are pretty common. Where did you miss most of your questions?

Most of my mistakes were made in the RC, it was the last section and I had an extremely difficult time focusing/lack of mental stamina. (I did not take my medication for ADHD during this June 2007 PT)
I'm sure once I review my errors I will find some stupid mistakes.

I was around -10 for both LG/LR sections.

I am not going to get discouraged, I still have time to read the bibles and practice my strategies. With hard work hopefully my score will improve 15+ points.

Thanks

arean.ryan

Postby arean.ryan » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:26 pm

Ironically, I felt most comfortable in the RC section. The LG had me puzzled/frustrated at times, and the LR was just plain tedious.

vespertiliovir

Postby vespertiliovir » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:28 pm

Sounds like you have everything under control! The LSAT is a very learnable test, so keep pushing yourself and don't get discouraged -- good luck! :D

arean.ryan

Postby arean.ryan » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:43 pm

vespertiliovir wrote:Sounds like you have everything under control! The LSAT is a very learnable test, so keep pushing yourself and don't get discouraged -- good luck! :D

Thank you...

1 Additional question:
Which do you think is more efficient, breaking down PT's into timed sections and knocking them out indivdually, or re-creating the LSAT atmosphere with every PT being 4 or 5 times sections?

sayruss11

Postby sayruss11 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:17 pm

arean.ryan wrote:
vespertiliovir wrote:Sounds like you have everything under control! The LSAT is a very learnable test, so keep pushing yourself and don't get discouraged -- good luck! :D

Thank you...

1 Additional question:
Which do you think is more efficient, breaking down PT's into timed sections and knocking them out indivdually, or re-creating the LSAT atmosphere with every PT being 4 or 5 times sections?

break down for sure, for at least the first few weeks. and don't worry about time yet just work on understanding

arean.ryan

Postby arean.ryan » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:03 pm

Knocking out each LG game in under 8 min 45 sections seems pretty crazy for me right now...I'm usually done with about 5 questions when time is up...just gonna focus on accuracy for now. I haven't started review in the LRB yet.

arewhyaen

Postby arewhyaen » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:32 am

Dont time Logic games at first. Then once you begin getting the hang of it, being doing some time drills. Start with 10 min, then 8:45, then challenge yourself with some 7:30-8min games.

Nice name btw! ;)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”