Pure Sequencing Games

User avatar
pfla
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:12 pm

Pure Sequencing Games

Postby pfla » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:28 pm

How do you attack pure sequencing games? Anything better than Princeton Review's high/low chart?

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Pure Sequencing Games

Postby dakatz » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:29 pm

pfla wrote:How do you attack pure sequencing games? Anything better than Princeton Review's high/low chart?


Take each individual rule and link them as best you can. Try and fit it all into one chart or diagram. Then make sure to stop a moment and THINK about the diagram. Make some deductions and try to get a feel for what can go where. Don't try and do it with all the rules separated and broken up.

User avatar
pfla
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:12 pm

Re: Pure Sequencing Games

Postby pfla » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:32 pm

Do you think it's worth trying to figure out all of the deductions before moving onto the questions? Or do you think it's better to just work out the more obvious ones?

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Pure Sequencing Games

Postby dakatz » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:34 pm

pfla wrote:Do you think it's worth trying to figure out all of the deductions before moving onto the questions? Or do you think it's better to just work out the more obvious ones?


It really depends on how quickly you can do it. Try and make as many deductions as you can. You can write out the usual linear diagram and write down the "not rules" that you see and find. This can be your record of deductions. You can also write out any dual options you may see.

User avatar
pfla
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:12 pm

Re: Pure Sequencing Games

Postby pfla » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:36 pm

dakatz wrote:
pfla wrote:Do you think it's worth trying to figure out all of the deductions before moving onto the questions? Or do you think it's better to just work out the more obvious ones?


It really depends on how quickly you can do it. Try and make as many deductions as you can. You can write out the usual linear diagram and write down the "not rules" that you see and find. This can be your record of deductions. You can also write out any dual options you may see.


Yeah, that's what I've been doing. I guess I just need to try to work on my speed. Thanks for your suggestions!

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: Pure Sequencing Games

Postby Hedwig » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:37 pm

I love pure sequencing. I read the rules first just so I can tell which ones will link up together. Then make a "super chain" or whatever of the rules that go together and other rules underneath that and go to town.

User avatar
pfla
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:12 pm

Re: Pure Sequencing Games

Postby pfla » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:41 pm

eit wrote:I love pure sequencing. I read the rules first just so I can tell which ones will link up together. Then make a "super chain" or whatever of the rules that go together and other rules underneath that and go to town.


Yeah, they're definitely friendlier than some of the other games; however, they always manage to eat up my time. Fuckers. :evil:

User avatar
rivermaker
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:16 pm

Re: Pure Sequencing Games

Postby rivermaker » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:29 am

I agree. pure sequencing is a refreshing change most of the time from other type of games. Pretty enjoyable to do.

User avatar
pfla
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:12 pm

Re: Pure Sequencing Games

Postby pfla » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:39 am

rivermaker wrote:I agree. pure sequencing is a refreshing change most of the time from other type of games. Pretty enjoyable to do.


And what method do you use? Is it any different than any of the above-referenced?

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: Pure Sequencing Games

Postby Adjudicator » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:42 am

I love Pure Sequencing. I pretty much just draw a little flowchart of all the rules, and there's not much more to it. I find Pure Sequencing to be relatively simple compared to some games.

User avatar
yzero1
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: Pure Sequencing Games

Postby yzero1 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:46 am

I think there are two fairly useful strategies for these games. One is to create a diagram that includes all the relationships between the elements (as mentioned by others). Another is to briefly write out what elements can be 1st and which can be last. This gives you a preliminary understanding of the possible orderings that the questions will test you on.

User avatar
rivermaker
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:16 pm

Re: Pure Sequencing Games

Postby rivermaker » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:26 am

It's a combo of powerscores and the Kaplan tree diagram. Kind of just merged into an ugly, but effective diagram. After I just list the possible firsts, lasts, and as many not laws as I can find

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: Pure Sequencing Games

Postby Adjudicator » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:39 am

yzero1 wrote:I think there are two fairly useful strategies for these games. One is to create a diagram that includes all the relationships between the elements (as mentioned by others). Another is to briefly write out what elements can be 1st and which can be last. This gives you a preliminary understanding of the possible orderings that the questions will test you on.


That's a good idea about listing the possible 1sts and lasts... I already do well with Pure Sequencing but that definitely sounds like it could help.

User avatar
Atlas LSAT Teacher
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 10:18 am

Re: Pure Sequencing Games

Postby Atlas LSAT Teacher » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:15 am

The first chapter of our book deals with this sort of game - you might find it useful: http://www.atlaslsat.com/download/LG_Book_Excerpt.pdf

nStiver
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:15 am

Re: Pure Sequencing Games

Postby nStiver » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:56 pm

pfla wrote:How do you attack pure sequencing games? Anything better than Princeton Review's high/low chart?


Dude, you need to buy the Logic Games Bible. I was once in logic game purgatory like you. It is so superior to Kaplan and Princeton Review that it makes their materials look like a joke.

User avatar
Sh@keNb@ke
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:54 am

Re: Pure Sequencing Games

Postby Sh@keNb@ke » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:18 pm

nStiver wrote:
pfla wrote:How do you attack pure sequencing games? Anything better than Princeton Review's high/low chart?


Dude, you need to buy the Logic Games Bible. I was once in logic game purgatory like you. It is so superior to Kaplan and Princeton Review that it makes their materials look like a joke.


Agreed.

ly2010
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:30 pm

Re: Pure Sequencing Games

Postby ly2010 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:02 pm

eit wrote:I love pure sequencing. I read the rules first just so I can tell which ones will link up together. Then make a "super chain" or whatever of the rules that go together and other rules underneath that and go to town.


I hate hate hate pure sequencing. I use that method - the super chain - but I always end up with a huge mess! Help?

User avatar
yzero1
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: Pure Sequencing Games

Postby yzero1 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:05 pm

ly2010 wrote:
eit wrote:I love pure sequencing. I read the rules first just so I can tell which ones will link up together. Then make a "super chain" or whatever of the rules that go together and other rules underneath that and go to town.


I hate hate hate pure sequencing. I use that method - the super chain - but I always end up with a huge mess! Help?


Earlier I recommended writing out which elements can go first or last, but if you are really struggling I would definitely try writing out a few hypotheticals before you attempt the questions. This will help you figure out where certain elements can or cannot go. You'll attack the questions with a much better perspective of the relationships between the elements.

Do that, and stick with the LGB's diagramming advice. You should be acing Pure Sequencing games in no time.

User avatar
Anaconda
Posts: 610
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: Pure Sequencing Games

Postby Anaconda » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:08 pm

yzero1 wrote:
ly2010 wrote:
eit wrote:I love pure sequencing. I read the rules first just so I can tell which ones will link up together. Then make a "super chain" or whatever of the rules that go together and other rules underneath that and go to town.


I hate hate hate pure sequencing. I use that method - the super chain - but I always end up with a huge mess! Help?


Earlier I recommended writing out which elements can go first or last, but if you are really struggling I would definitely try writing out a few hypotheticals before you attempt the questions. This will help you figure out where certain elements can or cannot go. You'll attack the questions with a much better perspective of the relationships between the elements.

Do that, and stick with the LGB's diagramming advice. You should be acing Pure Sequencing games in no time.


I actually don't think the LGB chapter on sequencing games is all that great. Although you'll still ace them (for the most part- there's a few beastly sequencing games out there), IMO it isn't the most efficient way to approach them in comparison to some companies that offer a branch/tree method.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Pure Sequencing Games

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:15 pm

Anaconda wrote:
yzero1 wrote:
ly2010 wrote:
eit wrote:I love pure sequencing. I read the rules first just so I can tell which ones will link up together. Then make a "super chain" or whatever of the rules that go together and other rules underneath that and go to town.


I hate hate hate pure sequencing. I use that method - the super chain - but I always end up with a huge mess! Help?


Earlier I recommended writing out which elements can go first or last, but if you are really struggling I would definitely try writing out a few hypotheticals before you attempt the questions. This will help you figure out where certain elements can or cannot go. You'll attack the questions with a much better perspective of the relationships between the elements.

Do that, and stick with the LGB's diagramming advice. You should be acing Pure Sequencing games in no time.


I actually don't think the LGB chapter on sequencing games is all that great. Although you'll still ace them (for the most part- there's a few beastly sequencing games out there), IMO it isn't the most efficient way to approach them in comparison to some companies that offer a branch/tree method.


Agreed. I'm looking to switch it up to possibly Atlas' method after sticking with Powerscore's sequencing method for a loooong time.

User avatar
yzero1
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: Pure Sequencing Games

Postby yzero1 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:28 pm

I've tried doing basic branches without arrows and dotted lines - is this the method you were referring to? Although this is a quicker way to draw out the relationships, this method does make it easier for you to confuse the relationships between variables, especially for those who make a lot of mistakes with the relationships to begin with. I find that the dotted separators do a good job of separating variables that do not have a fixed linear relationship with each other. But I think it eventually becomes a matter of personal preference. Once you get the hang of Pure Sequencing, it shouldn't really matter whether you use the LGB technique or the branch/tree method.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jagerbom79, Scherbatsky, Vino.Veritas and 7 guests