3rd Lsat? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
champ33

Bronze

3rd Lsat?

Post by champ33 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:12 pm

Hey guys... I've taken the LSAT twice, 162 and 165, and ended up deferring my acceptance this year to a T2 school. I feel that both times I could have easily been at high 160s or low 170 had I not screwed up the games section out of panic. I'm pretty happy with a 165, and feel I can get some big scholarships to T2 schools with it, but I'm looking for any input as to whether or not I should take the LSAT again a 3rd time this October. I'm deferred non-binding at the T2, so I plan on applying to more schools this cycle. I feel it's equally possible on a 3rd try for me to score about the same as it is to do 3-7 points higher, and I really don't know how bad it looks having 3 scores. Any input is appreciated thanks.

byunbee

Bronze

Re: 3rd Lsat?

Post by byunbee » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:24 pm

I took the test 3 times and eventually got accepted to a couple T14s and T25s w/$$. My two score average was signficantly lower than yours and I didn't get accepted anywhere my first time around, so I guess I had no choice but to retake. I think in your case it depends on what type of law you're interested in and where you want to practice.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:27 pm

champ33 wrote:Hey guys... I've taken the LSAT twice, 162 and 165, and ended up deferring my acceptance this year to a T2 school. I feel that both times I could have easily been at high 160s or low 170 had I not screwed up the games section out of panic. I'm pretty happy with a 165, and feel I can get some big scholarships to T2 schools with it, but I'm looking for any input as to whether or not I should take the LSAT again a 3rd time this October. I'm deferred non-binding at the T2, so I plan on applying to more schools this cycle. I feel it's equally possible on a 3rd try for me to score about the same as it is to do 3-7 points higher, and I really don't know how bad it looks having 3 scores. Any input is appreciated thanks.
At least try.

byunbee

Bronze

Post by byunbee » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
champ33 wrote:Hey guys... I've taken the LSAT twice, 162 and 165, and ended up deferring my acceptance this year to a T2 school. I feel that both times I could have easily been at high 160s or low 170 had I not screwed up the games section out of panic. I'm pretty happy with a 165, and feel I can get some big scholarships to T2 schools with it, but I'm looking for any input as to whether or not I should take the LSAT again a 3rd time this October. I'm deferred non-binding at the T2, so I plan on applying to more schools this cycle. I feel it's equally possible on a 3rd try for me to score about the same as it is to do 3-7 points higher, and I really don't know how bad it looks having 3 scores. Any input is appreciated thanks.
At least try.

Yeah it won't really hurt your applications, unless you want to go to Harvard.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:51 pm

byunbee wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
At least try.

Yeah it won't really hurt your applications, unless you want to go to Harvard.
162 + 165 isn't getting into any school that cares about retakes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

amkid100

Bronze

Post by amkid100 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:57 pm

what is your gpa? and just curious, what school did you defer acceptance to? i got a similar score on my first take (163) and am retaking now. i think you should go for it as others have said, but it also depends on what your gpa is and what schools you could get into with a better lsat.

champ33

Bronze

Post by champ33 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:55 pm

Thanks for the responses. GPA is 3.45, which is part of the problem. The 165 doesn't really bump me into a better set of schools like it would if my GPA was 3.6+. The school was Rutgers-Newark by the way, and right now I guess I'm leaning towards a 3rd LSAT.

amkid100

Bronze

Post by amkid100 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:05 pm

gotcha - the worst that happens here is that you get a score somewhere in the same range that you are scoring now, which just reiterates what you have already presented. given that you scored a 165 on your second take, i doubt that you'd score below your 162 in october. if you score anywhere from 162 to say 166, you're essentially presenting the same application and have nothing to lose. on the other hand, you also have the chance of improving significantly.

go for it!

champ33

Bronze

Post by champ33 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:39 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I decided to go for it, and just registered and sent for 10 practice tests. Now my only question is, should I wait for my score on Nov. 1st to apply to schools, or apply right away and check the box for them to wait for my score? Not sure which one's better or if it makes a difference.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

amkid100

Bronze

Post by amkid100 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:39 pm

champ33 wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. I decided to go for it, and just registered and sent for 10 practice tests. Now my only question is, should I wait for my score on Nov. 1st to apply to schools, or apply right away and check the box for them to wait for my score? Not sure which one's better or if it makes a difference.
I'm in the same boat as you - I am withholding apps until I get my score back. I'm going to have everything uploaded and ready to go by November 1st so that when I get my score I can just push send. Early Nov. is still considered early in the cycle - ED deadlines are Nov. 1 or Nov. 15. The main reason I'm waiting is because without my hopefully improved LSAT score, I have no realistic idea of where I have a chance. I don't want to waste $80 applying to schools that will throw me in the automatic reject pile. Also, this allows me to decide whether to apply early to a school based on my new stats.

champ33

Bronze

Post by champ33 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:05 pm

amkid100 wrote:
champ33 wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. I decided to go for it, and just registered and sent for 10 practice tests. Now my only question is, should I wait for my score on Nov. 1st to apply to schools, or apply right away and check the box for them to wait for my score? Not sure which one's better or if it makes a difference.
I'm in the same boat as you - I am withholding apps until I get my score back. I'm going to have everything uploaded and ready to go by November 1st so that when I get my score I can just push send. Early Nov. is still considered early in the cycle - ED deadlines are Nov. 1 or Nov. 15. The main reason I'm waiting is because without my hopefully improved LSAT score, I have no realistic idea of where I have a chance. I don't want to waste $80 applying to schools that will throw me in the automatic reject pile. Also, this allows me to decide whether to apply early to a school based on my new stats.
That makes a lot of sense.. I think I'll kind of mix and match with that strategy: apply in September to the schools I know I have a shot with with my old scores, and ask them to wait for my new one as well, and then apply to a few more based upon the new score. Thanks for your responses it helps a lot to get someone else's take.

omg

Bronze

Post by omg » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:10 pm

I took it twice and got the same score each time and didn't get into any T14s. I took it again (all within 6 months, by the way), improved by 4 points, and got into 2. I say do it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”