yzero1

Re: yzero1's LSAT Study Journal

Postby yzero1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:58 am

In an effort to improve the consistency of my LR performance, I've been doing 4-star LR questions from Kaplan Mastery every day. Drilled 25 yesterday - a mix of resolve the paradox, parallel reasoning, and inference questions. Made 2 mistakes in total.

I've also successfully drilled all the games from PT7-40 2 times over. I decided to make a separate package filled with games that I made mistakes on or took too long on. For September, I'll go through that and also redo the games from PT 41 onwards.

Blindc1rca

Postby Blindc1rca » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:45 am

yo so when dealing with LRs by type, how do you account for time?

yzero1

Postby yzero1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:50 pm

Blindc1rca wrote:yo so when dealing with LRs by type, how do you account for time?

I've already developed an internal clock for LR questions so I don't time myself when I'm drilling them from my Mastery book. If I feel like I'm spending too long on a question, I'll try to speed up a bit and move on to the next one.

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:49 pm

What part of Canada do you hail from and what schools are you looking at? Oh and good job with the steller PT scores :P

yzero1

Postby yzero1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:46 pm

AverageTutoring wrote:What part of Canada do you hail from and what schools are you looking at? Oh and good job with the steller PT scores :P

Thanks :) - are you from Canada as well? If so, whereabouts?

I'm from around Toronto and I go to school at York. I'm looking to go down south for law school, so I'm pretty much hoping for HYSCCN. What about yourself?

yzero1

Postby yzero1 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:07 pm

Got a nice dose of ass-kicking from June 2007 today. -2 LG, -0 LR1, -1 LR2, and -3 RC for my 2-month low of 172. Six wrong for a 172...

This was the first time since June I screwed up on a LG inference..happened on the 2nd game (which was relatively easy). Ended up -2 on that game for no reason at all. The thing that kills me is that I had 10 minutes remaining when I finished the section to check things over and I forgot to crosscheck the clues with my diagram.

RC has been horrible for me recently. I seem to be picking up a bit less information from the passages so that my answers have been less confident. Also seem to be choosing the wrong answer from 50/50 questions. Maybe a rest from RC is in order.

The ridiculous -8 curve didn't help either.

:(

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:00 pm

yzero1 wrote:
AverageTutoring wrote:What part of Canada do you hail from and what schools are you looking at? Oh and good job with the steller PT scores :P

I'm from around Toronto and I go to school at York. I'm looking to go down south for law school, so I'm pretty much hoping for HYSCCN. What about yourself?

Brutal. Stay topside! Ha, that's good man. You're planning to practice in the states I take it then?

I'm from Richmond Hill myself but I go to UWO :mrgreen: Dalhousie all the way for me. I'm looking into their combined MBA/LL.B program. It's either that or UNB. But let's be honest...Nova Scotia is where it's at :P

Though, I may apply to the T14 if my stats are up to par and I reasonably think I can secure a sizeable scholly.

yzero1 wrote:Got a nice dose of ass-kicking from June 2007 today. -2 LG, -0 LR1, -1 LR2, and -3 RC for my 2-month low of 172. Six wrong for a 172...

This was the first time since June I screwed up on a LG inference..happened on the 2nd game (which was relatively easy). Ended up -2 on that game for no reason at all. The thing that kills me is that I had 10 minutes remaining when I finished the section to check things over and I forgot to crosscheck the clues with my diagram.

RC has been horrible for me recently. I seem to be picking up a bit less information from the passages so that my answers have been less confident. Also seem to be choosing the wrong answer from 50/50 questions. Maybe a rest from RC is in order.

Yeah...Those guys in June 2007 got hit huge: first time seeing a comparative reading passage and a -8 curve.

yzero1

Postby yzero1 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:02 pm

AverageTutoring wrote:
yzero1 wrote:

Brutal. Stay topside! Ha, that's good man. You're planning to practice in the states I take it then?

I'm from Richmond Hill myself but I go to UWO :mrgreen: Dalhousie all the way for me. I'm looking into their combined MBA/LL.B program. It's either that or UNB. But let's be honest...Nova Scotia is where it's at :P

Though, I may apply to the T14 if my stats are up to par and I reasonably think I can secure a sizeable scholly.

yzero1 wrote:Got a nice dose of ass-kicking from June 2007 today. -2 LG, -0 LR1, -1 LR2, and -3 RC for my 2-month low of 172. Six wrong for a 172...

Yeah...Those guys in June 2007 got hit huge: first time seeing a comparative reading passage and a -8 curve.

No kidding, it was also a relatively difficult test. Curve/difficulty relationship was probably worse than PT48.

Anyhow, an analysis of my mistakes has lead me to conclude that the score was more a result of my lack of focus and discipline than the result of me having genuine difficulty understanding the questions. The -2 LG could have been avoided by just double-checking rules and diagrams. For one of the RC questions, I circled the correct answer but changed it to an incorrect one. For another RC question, I misread the answer choice and for the last RC question I got wrong, I was just too lazy to refer back to the passage.

Only one mistake (the one in LR) was due to question difficulty (LR2 Q18) - I just couldn't figure out the correct answer so I went with the most general answer choice.

Lessons of the day:
1. Always double check LG rules to make sure you didn't mess something up.
2. For RC, if you're unsure of your answer choice, re-read the relevant parts of the passage.
3. If you've re-read the relevant parts of the passage and you're still unsure, go with your first instinct. Only change your answer if you're 100% positive you found the correct one.
4. READ EACH ANSWER CHOICE CAREFULLY.

yzero1

Postby yzero1 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:05 pm

Sorry for not updating this thread these last few weeks. Since school started, I've been insanely busy so I haven't been properly updating my performance spreadsheets. My bubbled scoresheets are scattered around my room and backpack, so I don't have the exact section-by-section breakdown of my scores. I'll update the initial page if and when I compile my scoresheets.

Anyways, my performance over my last 10+ PTs (in their order of completion):

PT50: 175
PT51: 178
June 2007: 172
PT53: 173
PT52: 177
PT54: 171 (all-time low since I started studying)
PT56: 175
PT55: 178
PT57: 171 (another all-time low, tried to do it in extremely noisy testing conditions - will not try to do this again)
PT58: 180
PT59: 180

Experimentals:
PT4: 175
PT5: 180

Summary stats for the above PTs:

Range: 171-180
Average (w/o experimentals): 175.45
Average (w/ experimentals): 175.77

As you can see, my performance in the 50s has been much more inconsistent, largely due to the occasional bombed section. Got destroyed by RC in Jun'07, PT53, and PT54 and by PT57's LR section (-5!!).

I did manage to drastically improve my RC performance later on in the 50s by slowing down, reading more into detail, and reducing my time left over in the section. From PT55-59 I've gotten exactly -1 on each RC section.

Also, I've been plagued by mistakes in the first 10 questions on various LR sections - at times I got 2-3 of the first 10-11 questions wrong. I think the primary reasons behind this were a lack of focus and a bad habit of carelessly rushing through "easier" questions. I've adjusted in the last 2 PTs by going slower on LR sections and reminding myself to not move on until I'm 100% confident (esp. on the first 10 questions).

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:27 pm

yzero1 wrote:Sorry for not updating this thread these last few weeks. Since school started, I've been insanely busy so I haven't been properly updating my performance spreadsheets. My bubbled scoresheets are scattered around my room and backpack, so I don't have the exact section-by-section breakdown of my scores. I'll update the initial page if and when I compile my scoresheets.

Anyways, my performance over my last 10+ PTs (in their order of completion):

PT50: 175
PT51: 178
June 2007: 172
PT53: 173
PT52: 177
PT54: 171 (all-time low since I started studying)
PT56: 175
PT55: 178
PT57: 171 (another all-time low, tried to do it in extremely noisy testing conditions - will not try to do this again)
PT58: 180
PT59: 180

Experimentals:
PT4: 175
PT5: 180

Summary stats for the above PTs:

Range: 171-180
Average (w/o experimentals): 175.45
Average (w/ experimentals): 175.77

As you can see, my performance in the 50s has been much more inconsistent, largely due to the occasional bombed section. Got destroyed by RC in Jun'07, PT53, and PT54 and by PT57's LR section (-5!!).

I did manage to drastically improve my RC performance later on in the 50s by slowing down, reading more into detail, and reducing my time left over in the section. From PT55-59 I've gotten exactly -1 on each RC section.

Also, I've been plagued by mistakes in the first 10 questions on various LR sections - at times I got 2-3 of the first 10-11 questions wrong. I think the primary reasons behind this were a lack of focus and a bad habit of carelessly rushing through "easier" questions. I've adjusted in the last 2 PTs by going slower on LR sections and reminding myself to not move on until I'm 100% confident (esp. on the first 10 questions).

PT 57 was hard too. Of all tests to take in noisy conditions, that's the worst option.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”