.

User avatar
yzero1
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 4:33 pm

.

Postby yzero1 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:23 pm

.
Last edited by yzero1 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
sgtgrumbles
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: yzero1's LSAT Study Journal

Postby sgtgrumbles » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:51 pm

I'm jealous. I scored 161 on a diagnostic in May and have been studying since then, but I'm stuck in the 170-175 range. Was there anything that put you over that 175 hump? Just finishing the LGB and LRB? I finished the LGB a month ago and am halfway through the LRB. My error patterns are the opposite of yours: I'm fairly consistent with LG (-0 to -2) but my RC and LR fluctuate (-1 to -4 per section). I really need to be at the point where my LG is always -0, then I can focus on keeping my LR and RC sections at -1 or -2 each. I'd appreciate any advice.

User avatar
yzero1
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: yzero1's LSAT Study Journal

Postby yzero1 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:10 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:I'm jealous. I scored 161 on a diagnostic in May and have been studying since then, but I'm stuck in the 170-175 range. Was there anything that put you over that 175 hump? Just finishing the LGB and LRB? I finished the LGB a month ago and am halfway through the LRB. My error patterns are the opposite of yours: I'm fairly consistent with LG (-0 to -2) but my RC and LR fluctuate (-1 to -4 per section). I really need to be at the point where my LG is always -0, then I can focus on keeping my LR and RC sections at -1 or -2 each. I'd appreciate any advice.


One thing that helped me was taking a 3 week break from studying in early June. I'm not sure if that's feasible now, but it improved my RC performance significantly. Before the break, I was doing several RC sections each day and scoring between -3 and -4 on them. I think a lot of it had to do with my lack of interest with the passages and the burn-out I was suffering as a result of the compressed studying I was doing. If you find you're doing a bit too much RC drilling, I would take a few days off from it and focus on other areas.

Otherwise, I think another factor in my RC improvement is the fact that I do more cross-checking with the passages. Before, I used to make a lot of mistakes due to making unwarranted assumptions about things in the passage. For questions that reference the passage, I now try to read at least 5 lines above and below each referenced section to get a better perspective of the context in which the reference is used. Also, for questions that ask you to infer certain things about opinions (from the author, referenced parties, etc), try to find some concrete support from the passage.

Finishing the LRB will definitely help. If you're only half way through, I expect that you'll see at least a 1 or 2 point improvement on your LR sections. For me, the LRB improved and narrowed my range from -4 to -7 to -0 to -5 on 2 sections of LR. Additionally, the more sections you drill, the more automatic your responses should be. I found that after enough practice, I was able to finish LR sections 5-10 minutes early while breezing through the easier questions. This usually gives me the opportunity to correct 1 wrong answer of so per test. So with a combination of LRB study and drilling, I think your LR performance will become a lot more consistent.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: yzero1's LSAT Study Journal

Postby 3|ink » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:20 pm

I wish games were my weakest point. That's a pretty bad-ass spreadsheet. Only your scores outshine the template.

PS: How many tests do you take a week?

User avatar
yzero1
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: yzero1's LSAT Study Journal

Postby yzero1 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:40 pm

3|ink wrote:I wish games were my weakest point. That's a pretty bad-ass spreadsheet. Only your scores outshine the template.

PS: How many tests do you take a week?


Your spreadsheet is pretty bad-ass too lol. And in case anyone wants to know where to find it as well as other useful spreadsheets, here's a nice link: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/06/ls ... sheet.html

And I take one PT every 3 days, which is around 2-3 per week.

User avatar
yzero1
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: yzero1's LSAT Study Journal

Postby yzero1 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:02 pm

Reviewed mistakes from PT 45 today. Missed 3 weaken questions so I did 8x 1star, 8x 2star, 8x 3star and 8x 4star strengthen/weaken questions for practice. Managed two mistakes (1 on 3star and 1 on 4star).. mistakenly thought spleen = muscle tissue lol. Must remember to look for meaning/word shifts from premises to conclusions in these types of questions.

Also did a set of 8 games: 4 grouping games, 2 linear games and 1 mapping game and 1 grouping/linear combo game. Managed to finish most of them under 7 minutes with the exception of some tough grouping games..not bad at all. Even better was that I got them all right. First time this has happened to me :)

User avatar
sgtgrumbles
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: yzero1's LSAT Study Journal

Postby sgtgrumbles » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:00 am

yzero1 wrote:Reviewed mistakes from PT 45 today. Missed 3 weaken questions so I did 8x 1star, 8x 2star, 8x 3star and 8x 4star strengthen/weaken questions for practice. Managed two mistakes (1 on 3star and 1 on 4star).. mistakenly thought spleen = muscle tissue lol. Must remember to look for meaning/word shifts from premises to conclusions in these types of questions.

Also did a set of 8 games: 4 grouping games, 2 linear games and 1 mapping game and 1 grouping/linear combo game. Managed to finish most of them under 7 minutes with the exception of some tough grouping games..not bad at all. Even better was that I got them all right. First time this has happened to me :)


Ugh, I got that spleen question wrong on a PT because I made the same mistake. Did you choose A, the one about the horses? I feel like that's a trap answer because it's the only one that isn't about seals.

Thanks for the advice, by the way.

User avatar
yzero1
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: yzero1's LSAT Study Journal

Postby yzero1 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:05 am

sgtgrumbles wrote:
yzero1 wrote:Reviewed mistakes from PT 45 today. Missed 3 weaken questions so I did 8x 1star, 8x 2star, 8x 3star and 8x 4star strengthen/weaken questions for practice. Managed two mistakes (1 on 3star and 1 on 4star).. mistakenly thought spleen = muscle tissue lol. Must remember to look for meaning/word shifts from premises to conclusions in these types of questions.

Also did a set of 8 games: 4 grouping games, 2 linear games and 1 mapping game and 1 grouping/linear combo game. Managed to finish most of them under 7 minutes with the exception of some tough grouping games..not bad at all. Even better was that I got them all right. First time this has happened to me :)


Ugh, I got that spleen question wrong on a PT because I made the same mistake. Did you choose A, the one about the horses? I feel like that's a trap answer because it's the only one that isn't about seals.

Thanks for the advice, by the way.


Lol yeahh I chose (A) as well. Weaken/Strengthen Except questions are especially tricky because they always throw some obscure weakener/strengthener into the answer choices to confuse you.

Going to do another PT today.. either 46 or 48. Hope to improve my performance on weaken questions.

User avatar
yzero1
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: yzero1's LSAT Study Journal

Postby yzero1 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:09 pm

Did PT 46 today and scored a 176.. pretty much around my average. -2 on RC, -0 LG and -1 on both LR sections. What's crappy is that after doing mastery practice yesterday, both my mistakes on LR were strengthen questions (1 about %s vs. #s that I just couldn't think through). Hmm.. maybe I need to attack this even further.

One mistake on reading comp was due to an unwarranted assumption I made without referring back to the passage. I thought I had cured this problem, but I guess it still slips out every so often. On another question, I changed the correct answer to an incorrect one.. misinterpreted "absence of carnivores" as meaning "absence of the carnivores that caused relicit behavior". Another case of me assuming things incorrectly.

Also managed to get a 176 on the experimental I've been using for the past 4 tests (PT 1) -1 RC, -2 LG, -4 LR1, -0 LR2. Would have been satisfied if it weren't for the -4 I got on the 1st LR section. No pattern for those mistakes though (1 inference, 1 paradox, 1 strengthen and 1 assumption). Seems to me that these ancient PTs have some oddly worded stimuli + qstems.. but still that's no excuse for a -4.

Lesson of the day: Always double-check your OWN assumptions as well as those of the LSAT authors.

User avatar
yzero1
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: yzero1's LSAT Study Journal

Postby yzero1 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:13 pm

Been looking through all the mistakes I've made..analyzed up until PT34. Noticed a trend in my RC mistakes that I didn't notice before.. a good majority of them are "the author mentions [x] primarily in order to" type questions. Not sure how I can improve specifically, but I might look through the RCB to see if I can find something helpful. Maybe I should be more diligent in checking with the passage to make sure my answer is 100% supported.

As I thought, most of my mistakes in LR were strengthen/weaken questions.. and the cause of my mistakes is usually a lack of understanding of the stimulus or a failure to detect the inherent assumption underlying the argument. While I know it's hard to prephrase for some of the tougher str/weaken questions, I think I should spend a few more seconds thinking the argument through before jumping to the answer choices. Maybe that'll help. But I'll definitely do some more mastery practice on str/weaken tomorrow.

Drilled another section of games again.. finished all in 4-7 minutes with no mistakes :)

User avatar
yzero1
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: yzero1's LSAT Study Journal

Postby yzero1 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:24 pm

Did another set of 8 games today.. 4 grouping, 2 linear, 1 group/linear combo, 1 pattern. -1 on the 8 sections and all within about 4-7 minutes, not bad at all. I think my constant drilling is paying off.. I would love to be able to depend on LG for a -0.

Did a set of maybe 45-50 strengthen/weaken questions.. got 3 wrong. Tried to do it in a noisy area with kids yelling.. found that it made me rush so I made some careless reading errors. I think I've noticed some patterns now, like common correct answers, trick answers, etc.

Will do PT 48 tomorrow. Hopefully the last two days of review + drilling will pay off.

Lesson of the day: look carefully for the underlying assumption in strengthen/weaken questions.. get it right and you'll get the answer right 99% of the time.

User avatar
yzero1
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: yzero1's LSAT Study Journal

Postby yzero1 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:18 pm

Got a 97 (-4) raw score on PT48, but end up scoring 175 due to the crappy -8 for 170 curve. Missed 2 RC, and 2 LR combined. Looks like my games performance has been real solid over the last few PTs whereas everything else is staying relatively stagnant. I seem to be slipping slightly on RC though.. need to work on that.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: yzero1's LSAT Study Journal

Postby 3|ink » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:21 pm

That's the worst curve ever. Good Lord!

Nice score, though.

User avatar
yzero1
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: yzero1's LSAT Study Journal

Postby yzero1 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:45 pm

3|ink wrote:That's the worst curve ever. Good Lord!

Nice score, though.


Thanks!

The curve was definitely depressing.. and it didn't even seem like an easy test either. The RC was tougher than average in my opinion (not so much the passages, but the questions for sure), and there were some really tricky LR questions too. Oh well.

Just reviewed my mistakes and wouldn't you know it.. another -1 on a Strengthen question. It was an easy one too. I want to stab strengthen/weaken questions in the heart. My other mistake was a confusing flaw question (LR2 Q25) that I still don't completely understand.. I'll look deeper into it soon.

On RC.. missed an easy "refer back to confirm" question because I, for some reason, I didn't refer back to confirm the answer choice. Another was one of those "the word [x] as used refers most specifically to" type questions. This one was actually tricky because all the answer choices sounded the same (PT48 S3Q8).

User avatar
yzero1
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: yzero1's LSAT Study Journal

Postby yzero1 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:33 pm

After a day of review yesterday, I took Superprep C today and scored a 177, 95 raw score (-6). Score breakdown: -1LG -3LR1 -1LR2 -1RC. Score's pretty good but I'm not happy with the -3 I got on the first LR section. The questions I got wrong were pretty tough questions though, IMO. Is it just me or does Superprep have unusually difficult LR sections?

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: yzero1's LSAT Study Journal

Postby 3|ink » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:43 pm

yzero1 wrote:After a day of review yesterday, I took Superprep C today and scored a 177, 95 raw score (-6). Score breakdown: -1LG -3LR1 -1LR2 -1RC. Score's pretty good but I'm not happy with the -3 I got on the first LR section. The questions I got wrong were pretty tough questions though, IMO. Is it just me or does Superprep have unusually difficult LR sections?


I thought all three of the superprep tests were hard as hell.

User avatar
yzero1
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 4:33 pm

14

Postby yzero1 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:17 pm

3|ink wrote:
yzero1 wrote:After a day of review yesterday, I took Superprep C today and scored a 177, 95 raw score (-6). Score breakdown: -1LG -3LR1 -1LR2 -1RC. Score's pretty good but I'm not happy with the -3 I got on the first LR section. The questions I got wrong were pretty tough questions though, IMO. Is it just me or does Superprep have unusually difficult LR sections?


I thought all three of the superprep tests were hard as hell.


They were indeed.. and it wasn't just the games. Some of the most ridiculous LR questions I have encountered were on these tests lol.

My LR mistakes from Superprep C:

LR1 Q13 - looked at this question for literally 5 minutes in my checking period and still couldn't figure out the implicit point of agreement.
LR1 Q17 - the book says this is a 2-star question, but for some reason I could not choose between B C or E.. I guess I had to pay more attention to the specific wording - on a side note, I seem to need some practice on #s and %s related questions because I keep effing them up
LR1 Q21 - was a 50/50 between B and C.. again I did not catch the subtle wording in B that made it incorrect (the statement agrees with the critics' assessment of the last film movie whereas the stimulus concluded that the previous assessment was incorrect)
LR2 Q14 - argh..I really have to read more carefully. The "Yes we should" in the correct answer vs. the "I disagree" in the stimulus threw me off.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: 14

Postby 3|ink » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:22 pm

yzero1 wrote:
3|ink wrote:
yzero1 wrote:After a day of review yesterday, I took Superprep C today and scored a 177, 95 raw score (-6). Score breakdown: -1LG -3LR1 -1LR2 -1RC. Score's pretty good but I'm not happy with the -3 I got on the first LR section. The questions I got wrong were pretty tough questions though, IMO. Is it just me or does Superprep have unusually difficult LR sections?


I thought all three of the superprep tests were hard as hell.


They were indeed.. and it wasn't just the games. Some of the most ridiculous LR questions I have encountered were on these tests lol.

My LR mistakes from Superprep C:

LR1 Q13 - looked at this question for literally 5 minutes in my checking period and still couldn't figure out the implicit point of agreement.
LR1 Q17 - the book says this is a 2-star question, but for some reason I could not choose between B C or E.. I guess I had to pay more attention to the specific wording - on a side note, I seem to need some practice on #s and %s related questions because I keep effing them up
LR1 Q21 - was a 50/50 between B and C.. again I did not catch the subtle wording in B that made it incorrect (the statement agrees with the critics' assessment of the last film movie whereas the stimulus concluded that the previous assessment was incorrect)
LR2 Q14 - argh..I really have to read more carefully. The "Yes we should" in the correct answer vs. the "I disagree" in the stimulus threw me off.



All three are february tests. As if we needed another reason to avoid taking the test in February. I think the superpres are the LSAC's subtle way of warning us: don't take it in February.

User avatar
yzero1
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: yzero1's LSAT Study Journal

Postby yzero1 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:15 pm

Did 8 games today with 3 mistakes..not ideal but not horrible either. 2 stupid mistakes and 1 misinterpretation of a rule in PT20's string of beads game.

Won't be able to work on any LSAT stuff for the next 3 days due to a camping trip.. I hope I won't become rusty when I get back. Or maybe I can be a loser and bring my Kaplan Mastery with me. Hmm.. I'll make that decision tomorrow morning.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: yzero1's LSAT Study Journal

Postby 3|ink » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:19 pm

yzero1 wrote:Did 8 games today with 3 mistakes..not ideal but not horrible either. 2 stupid mistakes and 1 misinterpretation of a rule in PT20's string of beads game.

Won't be able to work on any LSAT stuff for the next 3 days due to a camping trip.. I hope I won't become rusty when I get back. Or maybe I can be a loser and bring my Kaplan Mastery with me. Hmm.. I'll make that decision tomorrow morning.


I brought my LRB to a bachelor party weekend in Atlantic city. I never even took it out of my suitcase. My friends just spotted it while I was changing. It was a month ago and I still haven't heard the end of it.

Lesson: Non-LSAT people just don't understand.

User avatar
yzero1
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: yzero1's LSAT Study Journal

Postby yzero1 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:22 pm

3|ink wrote:
yzero1 wrote:Did 8 games today with 3 mistakes..not ideal but not horrible either. 2 stupid mistakes and 1 misinterpretation of a rule in PT20's string of beads game.

Won't be able to work on any LSAT stuff for the next 3 days due to a camping trip.. I hope I won't become rusty when I get back. Or maybe I can be a loser and bring my Kaplan Mastery with me. Hmm.. I'll make that decision tomorrow morning.


I brought my LRB to a bachelor party weekend in Atlantic city. I never even took it out of my suitcase. My friends just spotted it while I was changing. It was a month ago and I still haven't heard the end of it.

Lesson: Non-LSAT people just don't understand.


haha I know what you mean.. at least you'll have the comfort of knowing that in case you need a hit of LSAT, you have your drug nearby.

User avatar
yzero1
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: yzero1's LSAT Study Journal

Postby yzero1 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:10 pm

After my 3-day hiatus from the LSAT, I took PT49 today and scored a 179 (98/100 raw score). Breakdown: -1 LG (stupid mistake - misread question), -1 LR1, -0 LR2, -0 RC (didn't find the maize passage that bad). Glad to see that my break didn't negatively affect my performance :).

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: yzero1's LSAT Study Journal

Postby Hedwig » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:39 pm

yzero1 wrote:After my 3-day hiatus from the LSAT, I took PT49 today and scored a 179 (98/100 raw score). Breakdown: -1 LG (stupid mistake - misread question), -1 LR1, -0 LR2, -0 RC (didn't find the maize passage that bad). Glad to see that my break didn't negatively affect my performance :).


Just like Elle Woods!

I actually want to score a 179. I've hit 177 and 180 but nothing in between.

I've heard a lot about this maize passage! I think I'll try doing PT 49 and see how it goes for me.

User avatar
yzero1
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: yzero1's LSAT Study Journal

Postby yzero1 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:02 pm

eit wrote:
yzero1 wrote:After my 3-day hiatus from the LSAT, I took PT49 today and scored a 179 (98/100 raw score). Breakdown: -1 LG (stupid mistake - misread question), -1 LR1, -0 LR2, -0 RC (didn't find the maize passage that bad). Glad to see that my break didn't negatively affect my performance :).


Just like Elle Woods!

I actually want to score a 179. I've hit 177 and 180 but nothing in between.

I've heard a lot about this maize passage! I think I'll try doing PT 49 and see how it goes for me.


I wish I could be like Elle Woods and score that on the real thing. But sadly things are much easier in the movies.

I updated my spreadsheet to account for my last 5 PTs. Looks like I've improved a lot on LG. I think the drilling really helped. I've almost done all the linear and grouping games from PT7-40 2 times over. However, my LR seems to be getting worse. Perhaps the LR sections in the 40s are a BIT tougher in general than the pre-40 tests, but a lot of my mistakes were avoidable. I hope today's performance will get me back on track. Lastly, my RC performance seems to be fairly consistent, although I would like to get my average # of misses down to 1.

User avatar
yzero1
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: yzero1's LSAT Study Journal

Postby yzero1 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:56 pm

Reviewed my mistakes from PT49 today.. both were the result of rushing. I should try to spend a bit more time on each question and get it right the first time around rather than rush to create more checking time at the end. I think it's harder to pick up mistakes when you're confident about your answer choices.

Also did a few games today (1 hybrid, 1 pure sequences, 2 grouping, 2 linear) and got 1 question wrong on 6 games.. not too bad.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests