Main Point
2%
Point of Agreement/Disagreement
2%

Total votes: 41

3|ink

Your Least Favorite LR Question Type

Postby 3|ink » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:16 am

Before anyone flames me, I am fully aware that assumption/justify questions are strengthen questions. However, since they require different approaches to solve, I broke them into distinct categories.

Method of reasoning questions are my least favorite.

lastch2

Re: Your Least Favorite LR Question Type

Postby lastch2 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:21 am

i hate strengthen weaken questions with a passioN!!

yzero1

Postby yzero1 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:11 pm

Strengthen/weaken for sure. While many of them are easy, I find the hardest questions ever are strengthen/weaken types. Off the top of my head, there was a weaken on SPB that killed me - the one about life starting in the ocean and certain compounds found on a rock.

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:18 pm

I LOVE Method or Resoning. I absolutely love Method argument part/role of a statement questions.

Most people concur that Strengthen and Weaken suck ass. I dont like them because it's tough to tell what to strengthen/weaken sometimes. I know youre supposed to strengthen/weaken the argument, but do I do it to the argument the premises the conclusion? Its tough to tell sometimes.

mikecw23

Postby mikecw23 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:35 pm

gdane5 wrote:I LOVE Method or Resoning. I absolutely love Method argument part/role of a statement questions.

Most people concur that Strengthen and Weaken suck ass. I dont like them because it's tough to tell what to strengthen/weaken sometimes. I know youre supposed to strengthen/weaken the argument, but do I do it to the argument the premises the conclusion? Its tough to tell sometimes.

It's almost always the conclusion you attack or strenthen

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:52 pm

gdane5 wrote:I LOVE Method or Resoning. I absolutely love Method argument part/role of a statement questions.

I'm not always the hugest fan of Method of Reasoning (it's okay) but WHAT ROLE DOES THIS SENTENCE PLAY IN THE ARGUMENT is just a lovely question form. Considering you kind of need to know in each argument what the premises/conclusions are just so you can answer the other questions, in this one, you don't have to use them to answer anything, they ARE the answer.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:07 pm

I hate the flaw of reasoning questions (which fall under method of reasoning). I missed one the other day that was an appeal to authority. However, the stimulus seemed to contain an appropriate appeal to authority. It was meteorologists talking about weather patterns. Nevertheless, the flaw was an appeal to authority without addressing a 'putative' counter example. Lame.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:20 pm

3|ink wrote:I hate the flaw of reasoning questions (which fall under method of reasoning). I missed one the other day that was an appeal to authority. However, the stimulus seemed to contain an appropriate appeal to authority. It was meteorologists talking about weather patterns. Nevertheless, the flaw was an appeal to authority without addressing a 'putative' counter example. Lame.

I hate those!

My least favorite are Method and Flaw. If I had to choose it would be method, especially the ones with an easy and simple stimulus and abstract answer choices - so frustrating.

High difficulty parallel questions are a disaster when you're running out of time, but I think the easier parallel questions are fairly quick and simple.

I also dislike the difficult inference questions, sifting through the shell answers can be tedious.

I'm beginning to love weaken and strengthen questions though and I LOVE paradox questions, it's like solving a mini puzzle.

StrictlyLiable

Postby StrictlyLiable » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:22 pm

Parallel reasoning are a waste of time.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:24 pm

StrictlyLiable wrote:Parallel reasoning are a waste of time.

Is your avatar from 'A Civil Action'?

brochocinco

Postby brochocinco » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:32 pm

Parallel Reasoning can suck it

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:02 pm

3|ink wrote:I hate the flaw of reasoning questions (which fall under method of reasoning). I missed one the other day that was an appeal to authority. However, the stimulus seemed to contain an appropriate appeal to authority. It was meteorologists talking about weather patterns. Nevertheless, the flaw was an appeal to authority without addressing a 'putative' counter example. Lame.

Oh I know which one youre talking about. Its in the powerscore bible. I think I got that one wrong as well for the same reason you just stated. The explanation made it seem so simple though... :x

Also, how did I forget about Parallel Reasoning?! Those are a bitch.

locthebloke

Postby locthebloke » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:50 pm

"Which of the following most closely parallels the reasoning above"

Long, always get these wrong... Hate them :x

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:53 pm

Inference questions, but I don't strongly dislike any LR question type.

StrictlyLiable

Postby StrictlyLiable » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:14 pm

3|ink wrote:
StrictlyLiable wrote:Parallel reasoning are a waste of time.

Is your avatar from 'A Civil Action'?

Indeed, lol. It is.

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:04 pm

I find that the less you overthink Parallel Reasoning questions, the easier they become.

I used to waste time trying to break them down abstractly. For example, I'd think, 'Hypothetical scenario in first sentence, using Aristotelian logic, then resolved by negative proof in the third sentence."

Then I read up on the Bible, and I dumbed it down to looking for key words like "most" or "usually" or "always". This almost always narrowed down the possible answers to about 2. Then, you look for physical similarities: how many elements are in each sentence? Are they roughly the same length?

I haven't missed a Parallel since.

I'd say the hardest are Strengthen/Weaken (though the key to this is zeroing in on the conclusion) and Must Be True questions where you must extrapolate a likely scenario from the stimulus. All of these questions require outside thinking, and they prey on preconceived notions that a test-taker might have.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”